Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' Empty
PostSubject: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:07 am

In publishing, we love the underdog while supporting the big name. How sweet it is, then, to learn that in a world run rampant by authors like Jackie Collins, there's still room for authors like William Paul Young.

Granted, the multiple high-impact photographs of Collins in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution got considerably more space than the one low key photograph of Young.

Their stories in this morning's paper are a beautiful study in contrasts. Collins, who was famous before she wrote the first of her 25 bestselling books with sales of 400 million copies, arrived in Atlanta in a rock-band-style touring bus to read and sign at a bookstore. Her focus: the land of the rich and famous. The paper describes her as an "author who knows how to tease readers in a celeb-obsessed world." She's touring on behalf of her latest book Married Lovers. With a title like that, I'm betting a fair percentage of her readers wish the book was about them.

Young, a former salesman who grew up as a victim of child abuse was already in financial trouble when he wrote The Shack, a book that began as a Xeroxed volume created at a local copy shop and morphed into a self-published book with a 10,000-copy print run (costing the author $15,000 to produce). Now, Hachette group has taken over the book with a 750,000-copy printing. Young, who's been selling his book at churches and on the Internet has benefitted greatly by a rather overwhelming word-of-mouth campaign. He's stunned. He calls himself an "accidental author." With a title like The Shack, most of his prospective readers are glad they're not in the book.

The publisher's description of Collins' novel on amazon, where Married Lovers is currently #448, is strong enough to curl a reader's toes before s/he turns to the first page: "Three high-powered Hollywood couples, two hot affairs, one underage Russian ex-hooker, a passionate murder—and the players’ lives are changed forever."

Meanwhile, in The Shack, a man whose daughter was murdered returns to the scene of the crime years later only to find God (a black woman), Jesus (a Jewish worker) and the Holy Ghost (an Asian woman) in a mood to shoot the breeze for a long weekend. Young's novel is #5 at amazon and currently #1 on the New York Times bestseller list for trade paperback fiction.

Good for you, Mr. Young. There's hope. Praise the Lord and pass me another ream of writing paper and a new pen.

Copyright (c) 2008 by Malcolm R. Campbell, from my Trickster's World blog
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:16 am

Well done, Malcolm. Indeed, Mr Young's success does offer hope to many!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:19 am

Thanks, Zada. I usually don't copy and paste my other blogs onto this forum, by I really liked seeing another POD author making good and had to share it.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Brenda Hill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Brenda Hill

Number of posts : 1297
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptyMon Nov 24, 2008 9:09 pm

I just read it again, Malcolm, and indeed, it's encouraging news even a few months down the line.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brendahill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:06 am

Fantastic Malcolm. I love stories like that. Well written.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 am

What surprises me, Carol, is the book's staying power. It's still on top of the paperback fiction bestseller list. Pretty good for something that began as a copy shop book "printed" on a Xerox copier.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10721
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 9:26 am

Well done, Malcolm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'   Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack' Empty

Back to top Go down

Jackie Collins vs. 'The Shack'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: POD Books-
Jump to: