Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

EN, or EM...

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

EN, or EM... Empty
PostSubject: EN, or EM...   EN, or EM... EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 9:46 am

How to make an EN and EM dash in Microsoft Word.

1. Open Microsoft Word. Click the top of the page's "Insert" tab.

2. Click the "Symbol" button on the ribbon. Click "More Symbols."

3. Click the "Special Characters" tab.

4. Click once on either the "Em Dash" or the "En Dash" options -- they are the first two on the scroll list.

5.Click the "Insert" button. The dash is inserted into the Word document, but you may have to move the "Symbol" window out of the way to see it. Click the "Close" button.

According to Columbia University, the en dash -- the shorter of the two -- is used to substitute for words such as "and" or "to" as well, as to show a range. The em dash may mean a break in thought, a substitute for "in other words" or be used to replace the phrase "in other words."
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

EN, or EM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: EN, or EM...   EN, or EM... EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 10:13 am

The em dash is always used without spaces before and after. I prefer to use an en dash with spaces around. Stylewise, if em dashes are used, ellipses without spaces before and after are a better match. My personal preference is en dashes and ellipses, both with spaces around.

However, I did maintain the em dash and ellipses without spaces around for the electronic format of Mr. Planemaker's Flying Machine (since the publisher had chosen that form originally).
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk

EN, or EM...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: