Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Establishing your own pub company

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
radar9628

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-07-26

Establishing your own pub company Empty
PostSubject: Establishing your own pub company   Establishing your own pub company EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 7:22 am

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and am moving from digital books only to POD. I am considering forming my own publishing company after having read Dan Poynter's 'Self-Publishing Manual'. I've done (or will do) most of the things a publishing company would do already, so I figure I should consider forming my own pub company for my own purposes and save some money.

For those of you who have established your own pub co - did you establish a completely separate business entity for that purpose? I have my primary business entity which has a pretty generic name, but Dan recommends not using the same business name for the purposes of publishing. (It looks like you're an author publishing your own book vs. a 'publishing company' publishing your book. Shocked ) I've currently got the ISBN # under the primary company, but it looks like I can change the business name if I desire.

What say you?
Thanks,
Radar
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Establishing your own pub company   Establishing your own pub company EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:02 pm

How did this plan work out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
radar9628

PostSubject: Re: Establishing your own pub company   Establishing your own pub company EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 7:54 pm

I went to my county website, did a search on the name I wanted for a Doing Business As (DBA) name in advance and then went down and paid my ten bucks for the name! I now have my own publishing company name under my business entity name. As long as I don't hire employees I can do it this way.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Establishing your own pub company   Establishing your own pub company EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 2:07 am

Good luck with this! How many ebooks do you intend converting to POD?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
radar9628

PostSubject: Re: Establishing your own pub company   Establishing your own pub company EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks Shelagh. I am focusing on one to start. The second ebook (MENTORrific Success Stories: Inspiring Stories from Youth Mentors & Mentees) needs to be updated with new stories. I expect to be connecting with lots more mentoring organizations and mentors online and offline via the promotion of my main book, so I will have access to more stories.
Paula
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Establishing your own pub company   Establishing your own pub company Empty

Back to top Go down

Establishing your own pub company
Page 1 of 1