Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Parking the truck

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 9:19 am

So, my husband and I are not driving a truck now.
We parked it about two months ago.
I am not pleased.

Thanks to the D.O.T, clinics are on a sleep apnea witch hunt during driver physicals. They are targeting overweight drivers with thick necks (which is what? About 70% of all drivers?). My husband got caught in the hunt. He was forced in for a sleep study.

Never mind that he hasn't had a ticket since 1984. Never mind that he has never been in an accident. Never mind that he doesn't fall asleep while sitting up or driving. Never mind that he has the sense to pull over and shut down if he is too tired. Never mind that he rarely snores. Never mind that he had NONE of the symptoms of sleep apnea other than being a bit heavy. He had NO problems sleeping and could easily drive his 8-10 hours every day.

So, this sleep study they did, which I now question ... especially after discussing it with my brother who is an MD ... they claim he HAS sleep apnea and put him on a CPAP. Well, that just killed our driving careers. He tried to make this thing work for over three months. But he could NOT sleep with that machine. He had trouble falling asleep with it, it made him wake up during the night, and he felt miserable and tired after his time in the bunk. He tried adjusting it, talked with the sleep clinic several times. Nothing worked. Especially him.

He could drive his 10 hours without getting tired and sleepy. He ended spending extra time in the bunk because he was so exhausted. This witch hunt ruined our driving career. A driver HAS to use the machine. It is monitored by microchip and a driver who is not compliant will be shut down.

Soooo, now we are dealing with unemployment and living like 'normal' people.

Let this new adventure begin.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10712
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 9:35 am

JoElle,
You must feel devastated. Wish I had something positive to say or to suggest. I never heard of such a thing.

Seems they know how to create unemployment but fall short in providing employment. And when you have to apply for unemployment compensation, someone will say you're lazy. Don't you just want to scream?

Having material for another book doesn't solve the problem. Don't give up hope. There must be a way to resolve this. Perhaps letting people know about it will help in finding a solution.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 9:54 am

What if he lost weight? Would that help his chances of re-entering the field? I'm not defending "witch hunts," but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Clearly they've found a problem with many overweight drivers, or they wouldn't have put in those regulations.

Anyhow, joining Weight Watchers while collecting unemployment might be productive. I'm on that program myself in an effort to the lose 15 lbs I've put on in the past five years, sitting at my desk writing books.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 am

LC wrote:
What if he lost weight? Would that help his chances of re-entering the field? I'm not defending "witch hunts," but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Clearly they've found a problem with many overweight drivers, or they wouldn't have put in those regulations.

Anyhow, joining Weight Watchers while collecting unemployment might be productive. I'm on that program myself in an effort to the lose 15 lbs I've put on in the past five years, sitting at my desk writing books.

Funny you should ask that.
He HAS lost weight. From his previous physical to this last one, he had lost 20 lbs. He has lost more weight since we've been home.

I've posted about this before, but I've been writing for "Healthy Trucking" magazine for over a year now. My husband and I both realized how this field was hurting our health and have been making an effort to live healthier for some time now.

But he (and I) are still overweight, but working on it.

He rides his bike and we walk together. I've joined my son's gym and work out and practice yoga and qigong.

But it is always easier to put on the weight than take it off.

The thing is sleep apnea is NOT just an overweight person problem. Slender people can have it too. Just because you are thin does NOT mean you don't have it. And just because you are overweight, it does NOT mean you do have it.

However, being overweight and having a thick neck means you will be a target on this witch hunt. Yes, weight is a problem among truck drivers, but so is smoking ... which is probably just as much as a health risk. (Neither my husband or I smoke). But they don't have a special target on smoker drivers .... yet.

Yes, my husband could lose weight and do a study again ... with some other clinic. But it comes out of our pocket. And even with insurance it has cost us over $900.

But the DOT is only doing this to further micromanage trucking. After 9-11, all truck drivers who wanted to keep their HazMat endorsements had to be fingerprinted and run through the homeland security background check.

They just keep on coming up with more ways to 'keep the roads safe' ... what is next? Psych exams? Credit checks? Micro-chipping?
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 10:23 am

Abe F. March wrote:
JoElle,
You must feel devastated. Wish I had something positive to say or to suggest. I never heard of such a thing.

Seems they know how to create unemployment but fall short in providing employment. And when you have to apply for unemployment compensation, someone will say you're lazy. Don't you just want to scream?

Having material for another book doesn't solve the problem. Don't give up hope. There must be a way to resolve this. Perhaps letting people know about it will help in finding a solution.

Thanks Abe,

You know at first I was furious.
But I have learned, from experience, that sometimes when life looks like it is being unfair she is actually taking you down a new and better path.

I am frustrated at not being able to find work. I've found that though I do have management, customer service, and medical experience ... my potential employers just see Truck Driver. This is because they only look at the recent history.

Yet, I've spent this time getting my house cleaned, babysitting grandkids, taking my niece to her gymnastics class, and visiting with my mom who came out for six weeks (from Texas). I've enrolled for the fall semester at the community college and I am looking into getting into a level one and level two Reiki class.

As much as I loved driving, I am beginning to look at this as an opportunity to pursue other interests I have.

My husband has also enrolled in classes and has been able to take advantage of some of his veteran benefits.

While we both feel we were forced out of a career we both love, we both know it isn't the end of the world.

Change is what you make of it.
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:25 pm

I don't understand. If your a truck driver and you love it, why dont you drive the truck? Do you have sleep a to?
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:30 pm

JoElle,

What a bummer. You didn't need this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:41 pm

Why is it a bummer? I've seen a lot of women truck drivers.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 pm

The bummer is losing the job that she loved.
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 pm

yeah, but if she's a truck driver to, she didn't have to lose her job if HE got grounded because of a medical. Many husband and wife teams out there and if one has a problem, the other drives until its cleared up. Unless she's not liscened and was driving illegially. Or was just a passenger.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Maybe they were a team. She may not wish to drive without him along. I can see where that could be.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 3:58 pm

lyntx wrote:
I don't understand. If your a truck driver and you love it, why dont you drive the truck? Do you have sleep a to?

Because my husband and I drove team. That was part of the fun. We drove together.
We pretty much lived on the road, we would be away from home 4-6 weeks at a time.

I don't want to drive without him. That would mean me being on the road alone for weeks at a time. It just wouldn't be the same.
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Better than being jobless?
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:10 pm

I have nieghbors that are truckers, and the wife rides occasionally, but she gets bored and wants to stay home. Shes after him all the time to quit and find something else, but he says he doesn't have the education for anything else and will stay on the road until he thinks he can support the family another way. Many people have to sacrifice, especially in today's sad economy. Jobs aren't always fun. Sometimes it's the only way to put food on the table.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:27 pm

lyntx wrote:
I have nieghbors that are truckers, and the wife rides occasionally, but she gets bored and wants to stay home. Shes after him all the time to quit and find something else, but he says he doesn't have the education for anything else and will stay on the road until he thinks he can support the family another way. Many people have to sacrifice, especially in today's sad economy. Jobs aren't always fun. Sometimes it's the only way to put food on the table.

You seem rather judgmental. Why not let her decide how she wishes to live and work?.

She and her husband have a very good close marriage and it sounds different than your neighbor's situation.

Last edited by alice on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 4:29 pm

JoElle wrote:
lyntx wrote:

Because my husband and I drove team. That was part of the fun. We drove together.
We pretty much lived on the road, we would be away from home 4-6 weeks at a time.

I don't want to drive without him. That would mean me being on the road alone for weeks at a time. It just wouldn't be the same.

Wise thinking. Much safer and better for your marriage than long separations.
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:06 pm

lyntx wrote:
yeah, but if she's a truck driver to, she didn't have to lose her job if HE got grounded because of a medical. Many husband and wife teams out there and if one has a problem, the other drives until its cleared up. Unless she's not liscened and was driving illegially. Or was just a passenger.

I am a truck driver. And you are right, I didn't have to quit, my medical card is good and I can still drive a truck.

However, being diagnosed with sleep apnea will not be something that can come off my husband's medical background overnight and it will cost us quite a bit of money to have a new sleep study done. It isn't something temporary like a sprained muscle or broken bone.

And yes, there are many men and women out there driving alone while their partner stays at home or even drives a different truck. And perhaps they like that solitary lifestyle. Some couples handle that type of separated lifestyle better than others.

My husband and I drove together for over eight years. My husband and I have been married over 25 years. We have a very good marriage and I want to spend my time with him. I enjoy his company. I am not interested in driving around the country and only "visiting" my husband for a few days a month. And quite frankly, I am just a little bit chicken and the idea of being out there all by myself is a bit scary.

So yes. I would rather be out of a job than out there driving alone.

My husband, son, and family come before anything else. I am not too worried, we will get through this.

It isn't like I don't have other marketable skills. I can type over 45wpm, I am fluently bilingual, I have computer skills, and management experience. I've worked as both an endoscopy technician and dialysis technician.

If the economy were not such in poor shape I probably would have found a job inside a week.

But yeah, I really would have preferred to keep driving ... with my husband.
Back to top Go down
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Then best of luck to you.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 5:28 am

JoElle, could age have been an additional factor in the "witch hunt?" People over 55 years of age increase the cost of Workmens Comp and health insurance for employers. As their premiums go up, they start reducing the over 55 workforce by whatever methods they can; especially in an economy where there are many younger people standing in line.

I don't know your age; so this may be totally irrelevant. The same age issues apply to looking for other employment.

Another issue in finding employment today is credit rating. More businesses than ever before do a credit rating and background search immediately upon receiving an application. Any little tick is a reason to set the application aside.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 am

dkchristi wrote:
JoElle, could age have been an additional factor in the "witch hunt?" People over 55 years of age increase the cost of Workmens Comp and health insurance for employers. As their premiums go up, they start reducing the over 55 workforce by whatever methods they can; especially in an economy where there are many younger people standing in line.

I don't know your age; so this may be totally irrelevant. The same age issues apply to looking for other employment.

Another issue in finding employment today is credit rating. More businesses than ever before do a credit rating and background search immediately upon receiving an application. Any little tick is a reason to set the application aside.

I don't think it is age in our case. The big gung-ho over sleep apnea is coming from the Dept of Transportation not the trucking companies. I've heard, from other truckers (so just rumor here) that it started with a SIG that lobbied for it.

In fact, our employer at the time that we quit, tried very hard to get us to stay because my husband and I were a very reliable team. We were often used to 'save' loads that would not have otherwise made their scheduled delivery.

In the trucking industry, the insurance companies mostly look at safety, logs, and driving records. My husband and I both have clean driving records and we've never had an injury at work.

Neither of us is over 55. In fact, my husband only just turned 50 today.

But yeah, I am thinking my age (mid 40s) isn't helping in my job hunt. My husband though, has found another job already. Unfortunately it doesn't pay nearly as well as trucking.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 3:06 pm

If you met JoElle and her husband, you would understand, fully, why they make such a great driving team. I can't imagine one without the other. I've had the pleasure of two visits, and I feel as if I've known them for years.

So, Elfie, if I was there, and needed someone wonderful to hire, I would snatch you or your hubby up in a heartbeat. Every company could use such positive forces at their fingertips.

You are one of the most dynamic folks I know. Must be all of those elf years of experience.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Jo Elle posts with clarity and absence of malice or ego investment; she strikes me as a person that would be a good friend and a person with overflowing common sense. She seems to have wisdom already.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

I agree with Rhett and DK!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Dear JoElle,
I just wrote a long answer to your post and it went 'poof' for no reason. I will shorten it.

I have always loved your postings, your charm and charisma. I believe that you are as close to elfish as I have ever met.

I am sorry for your loss, because a job that you have done so long and no longer do is a loss like losing a good friend that you depend on for being there in your life.

In my life, change has been abrupt, too. All of a sudden there is the blank
wall. What now?

I hope that you can turn this into a new adventure. There is so very much living to do.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
lyntx
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Your all closing ranks around her as if she was attacked. I didn't mean to be so snippy, but in my family we'd do almost anything to hang unto a job. Long times away from home is part of it if a construction job opened up somewhere else. I can't say which is better, giving up a job you love to stay together or being together and not making enough money to pay the bills.

Thats all I meant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Parking the truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: Parking the truck   Parking the truck Empty

Back to top Go down

Parking the truck
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: