Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast? Empty
PostSubject: Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast?   Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 7:22 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast?   Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 10:25 pm

The change from pulp fiction, to e-book fiction reminds me of the story of Captain Joshua Slocum, a sea Captain in the 1800’s. The merchant fleets around the world were changing from sail power to steam. Many Captains would not make the change, which was complete within six short years. Slocum was one of these. The cry was…”Sailors are not plumbers.”
Captain Slocum was left standing on the dock with no command. He was given an old forty foot Oyster boat, which he sailed alone around the world…it is why he is remembered.
A sail maker who had made a vast fortune making sails for the tall ships, had reinvested his entire wealth in cotton sail stock. His many warehoused lining the harbors of the east Coast, bulged with sails he had no market for…he looked about…”I must change with the times,” he whispered to those who would listen. He could be seen walking the empty docks night after night, mumbling to the changing tides…”Change. I must change.” He spoke to the gulls flying about as the sun rose, and set…”How? Change to what?”.
One day he ran from one saloon to the next, shouting, and waving a crooked finger…”I have it,” he shouted with joy…”Drinks on me.”
The little sail maker was no longer making sails for tall ships of the past…he was now making strong cotton pants for miners…his name was Levi Strause.
Back to top Go down

Article: Ebooks -how far, how fast?
Page 1 of 1