Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Wonder of being 70

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The Wonder of being 70 Empty
PostSubject: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 5:54 am

The wonders of being 70

By George
F. Will, Published: May 6

In 1960, after the Pittsburgh Pirates defeated the New York
Yankees in an electrifying seven-game World Series, the Yankees fired manager
Casey Stengel, who had turned 70 in July. The Yankees said he was too old. He
said, “I’ll never make the mistake of being 70 again.”

It is, however, a coveted mistake, considering the
alternative, and remembering how recently it was that passing this milestone
became unremarkable. The Bible, with the thumping certitude for which it is
famous and sometimes tiresome, asserts that “the days of our years are
threescore years and ten.” If so, after turning 70, one has, ever after, the
pleasure of playing, as it were, with house money. For what, exactly, would one
now give up red meat and dry martinis?

To be 70 is to have escaped the disagreeable fate of dying
young. But the Bible, which is replete with redundant reminders that life is
real, life is earnest, adds this: “And if by reason of strength they be
fourscore years, yet is their strength labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut
off, and we fly away.” Have a nice day.

To be 70 is to have seen the nation put away the almost
casual cruelty of racial
segregation. And to have seen, in the emancipation — not too strong a term
— of women, and in many other improvements, how this uniquely self-transforming
nation decided to declare unthinkable many practices that not long ago were
performed unthinkingly.

To be 70 is to have been born shortly before Pearl Harbor, to have lived through the war that was already then
raging, and the Cold War, and to have arrived at the sunny uplands of today.
Yes, of course, man is still, and ever will be, born unto trouble, as the
sparks fly upward. But never before in the human story has the risk of death by
violence been smaller for such a large portion of humanity.

To be 70 is to have been born about the time competent
medicine was born, with the arrival of penicillin, other antibiotics and sulfa
drugs. This is a reminder that contemporary
America’s most pressing domestic problem is a consequence of
success. The crisis — the obsolescence — of the previous century’s welfare
state is a result of the social triumph represented by something unimagined 70
years ago, an enormous and expanding cohort of octogenarians.

To be 70 is to appreciate Mark Twain’s example of aging
vigorously: “I am able to say that while I am not ruggedly well, I am not ill
enough to excite an undertaker.” True, Twain had memory cramps of the sort that
now are called “senior moments.” He worried, “I’ll forget the Lord’s middle
name some time, right in the midst of a storm, when I need all the help I can
get.” Nevertheless, he strode into the sunset wearing a snow-white suit.

To be 70 is to understand that time cannot wither, nor
custom stale the infinite pleasure of simply trying to do things well, or
witnessing others do them. Casey Stengel returned from exile to manage the 1962
New York Mets, an expansion team that, en route to losing 120 games, caused him
to look down the dugout and ask in wonderment, “Can’t anybody here play this
game?” Few can, which is why the especially talented few — athletes,
writers, musicians, thinkers — delight the many.

To be 70 is to experience a temptation generally worth
resisting — the itch to natter on as Polonius
did when belaboring Laertes with bromides. But to be 70 is to be running
short on time for the pleasure of succumbing to temptations, so:

Happiness — herewith the distilled essence of 70 years of
experience — is a talent, and one that, unlike hitting a curveball, anyone can
develop. Considering that
America exists to protect the individual’s pursuit of it, this
pursuit is a pleasant duty.

Finally, to be 70 is to have lived 30 percent of the life of
this nation, which is almost enough time to begin to fully appreciate the
inestimable privilege of being a legatee of those who first unfurled the
republic’s sails and steered it toward the present. That is why — with homage
to F. Scott Fitzgerald — as we beat on, boats against the current, we should
be borne back ceaselessly into the American past: It is impossible for the
young to know, but never too late to learn, that America truly is something —
perhaps the only thing — commensurate with our capacity for wonder.

georgewill@washpost.com

Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyMon May 09, 2011 7:26 am

You have a PM
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Dear Abe,
Those words could have come from your pen.

I am not far from that 70 mark myself. Life is the prize. We do the best we can to deserve it and leave a bit of ourselves in the memory of those whom we love and those who love us.

It is fairly simple, after all. Do as much good as you can for as long as you can to the most that you can. You know that I am not just talking people.

In our humanity, we have been blessed with the need to love and be loved. I do not know why that gets all trashed up with hate, but it does.

Perhaps it takes age, like wine, for us to be the best we can be.

I take that back right away. Children are about as good as the human race gets. They have to learn all the trash.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Good insights, Betty.
Instead of being placed on the shelf as obsolete, people 70 and older have much to offer. Experience is golden.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 5:38 am

The practice of multiple generations living in one household provides the chance for learning tolerance and gaining wisdom from the elderly. Built in child care, household help, psychological counseling, comfort in times of difficulty and more were positive products.

My mom's neighborhood has several "modern" examples of this. The kids I grew up with married, perhaps moved away for a while, but ended up buying homes in the very same neighborhoods where there parents lived. Some of those parents have passed away, but third generations have moved to this same area. My brother and his family are only a few minutes away.

There was always a grandchild to mow a lawn or a grandparent to watch children or a child to care for an elderly parent - the system was good for many of those families.

My next door neighbor (my guess is the economy) had two sons and their families move into her home. The strollers in the driveway and the young mothers sitting in the grass with their babies was a bright spot in the house that was previously appearing empty.

I'm in an exercise class that has many older people. I wonder how many live alone with children far away or none at all. In the "old" days, elderly "aunts" without family were even brought into the home.

Oh well, there's always dogs, cats, television and computers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 8:56 am

Diane,
you touched on a very important family tradition, seeming lost in today's society.
Those values are still to be found in some eastern societies.
Families were larger in the past, and having many children meant security for the parents. That tradition went out the window when children wanted their independence and moved away. To live at home was frowned upon by their peers. Now, with the economy in a bad way, and many out of work, having a home to go to is security for the children.
Too bad that the family is split instead of a cohesive unit.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 10:50 am

I'm still 70 for another couple months. Health-wise it's been a tough year. As the old saying goes, if I'd known I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Fsmily solidarity is still in place in some families. My daughter just got out of the hospital and needs help. She lives in Virginia. My other daughter is taking time off and going to take care of her. She lives in Pennsylvania. My wife is going up soon, too. She lives here in Florida.

Love and dedication reach across many miles and many borders.

But about being 70. This is one of my partners. We've had to change our routine. It was a lot funnier when he was the old one.
The Wonder of being 70 Mvc-0010
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 10:59 am

Good picture, Al. You've aged well.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 11:24 am

A work colleague of mine married a Muslim man in college and moved with him to Turkey. His father built them a small house in the family compound where all the family lived, many with their own residences. She said it was an ideal life where all ages and extended family members cared about and for each other. They helped each other with jobs and businesses. She always had a friend to shop with, a shoulder to cry on, a person to seek counsel from and children to enjoy since she and her husband did not have children. After her spouse died in an accident, she could have stayed; but since she was young, they would have found her a husband.

She returned to the U.S. where she found life quite lonely. However, she readjusted to U.S. life and it helped her recover from her loss. She stayed in contact with her spouse's family and was always welcome to return. They visited her in the U.S. She said those visiting times reminded her of the camaraderie and family closeness she chose to live without. Her own family was typical, spread out across the U.S.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
luigie
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
luigie

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi
I turned 70 on the 27th May this year.
I don't feel any different at all.
My family all wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday.
When I said I wanted a triathlon wetsuit, they all agreed to buy me one.
They knew I'd not be wanting a pair of slippers and a walking stick.
I have found that people generally give up on life as you get older.
It is not necessary.
I swim 7 or 8 kms a week and am considering swimming in the one mile event in the Great North Swim at Lake Windermere on the 18th June.
I also want the wetsuit to go and catch waves down in Devon when my family are there on holiday.
At whatever age you are you must go out there and enjoy yourself, sitting around watching TV and becoming a couch potato is no life at all.
I never ever miss any of my grand children's activities no matter what they are. I coach them at football or squash and help and listen to them play their music.
For all that I do not neglect the time for myself to keep fit and to train.
I feel I need to share with you all one of my most favourite passages in the Bible:
Quote :
Jos 14:6 Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto him, Thou knowest the thing that the LORD said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadeshbarnea.
Jos 14:7 Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadeshbarnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.
Jos 14:8 Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.
Jos 14:9 And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.
Jos 14:10 And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.
Jos 14:11 As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.
Jos 14:12 Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.
Jos 14:13 And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.
Caleb was so engrossed by the task God had given him that he never aged in those 45 years in the wilderness.
We need to be more engrossed in living the life that God has given us and doing things rather than dwelling on our age.

Back to top Go down
http://www.tudor.vc/tudor/harritudur.html
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 4:27 pm

God bless you Luigie.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Dear Luigie.

" Caleb was so engrossed by the task God had given him that he never aged in those 45 years in the wilderness.
We need to be more engrossed in living the life that God has given us and doing things rather than dwelling on our age."

I agree.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyMon Jun 06, 2011 5:22 pm

6/6/2011

Abe..

I'm not far behind you, 7 years. To me age is in the
mind, it's how you feel and how you feel young at
heart...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 8:19 am

My dad just turned 77.

He's active in volunteer work, writes, meditates, and eats well (lots of antioxidants).
He's in better health than he was when he was in his 50s.

He is the first male in his family to live past 64. His father died of a heart attack while in his 50s (I never met my grandfather).
And his older brothers all died of heart attacks in their early 60s.

My father has had bypass surgery twice (once in his 50s and once in his 60s) and had a stent put in. He also carried a lot of stress in his life.

He finally made a conscious decision that he would enjoy his life and family, take care of the one body given to him in this life, and come to peace with his life, his past, and the world in general.

Several years ago he had the great pleasure of meeting his first great-grandchild (he now has two of them).

The Wonder of being 70 Fourgenerations3

My dad, my kid, my kid's kid. This was taken five years ago, when my dad was 72.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:45 am

JoElle,

Good family.

Your dad is amazing.

My mother in law's health has improved with age also.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 am

JoElle,
Your dad sounds like someone I would love to meet.
Today I spent some time with a good friend, Hermann Frech. He's 83. I'm writing his wartime story. He is a man of wisdom.
Since we were talking about the bible on this forum, I asked him some questions. He enlightened me with parable-like answers. He is a former school teacher and school principle. He is also our town historian.
We take long walks. Each walk is a history lesson. His mind is alert and his memory sharp. To me, that counts more than physical prowness, although he still has that.
Tomorrow I have an important follow-up heart exam. Don't expect a problem. My complaint is that I tire too easily. Perhaps an adjustment in medication will help. I want to do more. I want to walk farther without tiring so quickly.
If there's a way to feel better and do more, I want to know.
Not ready to kick the bucket. I still have much to learn and do before I leave this world.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 1:59 pm

Abe,

I hope snd pray all is well with you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Wonder of being 70   The Wonder of being 70 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Wonder of being 70
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-