Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

gone

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-05

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:13 pm

zizban wrote:
Such a Luddite that my book is coming out from a (primarily) ebook outfit.

I take it back! No Luddite you! Sorry! flower
Good for you!

is that the Cookie monster (avatar)?
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:15 pm

learningcurve wrote:
zizban wrote:

Good for you!

Not a problem.

That's Grover.
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 pm

zizban wrote:
learningcurve wrote:
zizban wrote:

Good for you!

Not a problem.

That's Grover.

Thank you! Grover, he's familiar, thanks you know I'm getting addicted to these crazy emo whatevers, i never used them and i'm regressing rapidly! gone - Page 2 343621 i'll try to stop! it's going to take over my life!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Quote :
actually very often. I go there to buy ebooks, frankly i like to avoid the shipping charges from America. it's pricey! i'm in the U.K.

You don't browse Amazon's UK site? Or the sites of the ebook publishers themselves? What about Smashwords appeals to you as a browser/buyer? How do you find the books you end up buying? (and note, I said buy, not download free).
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12618
Registration date : 2008-01-11

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:58 pm

LC wrote:
BTW, my trade nonfic has sold 80K copies during its 22 year lifetime. The vast majority being from physical bookshelves. I prefer being a Luddite. Puts more money in my pocket.
That is six editions? An average of 13.333K/edition. Not bad. Amanda Hocking uploaded 8 books to Smashwords in less than a year and sold 900,000 (paid for!) copies. An average of 100,000+/book.

http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/amandahocking

gone - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ gone - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ gone - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ gone - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ gone - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ gone - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

That's great. How can someone replicate Amanda's success, esp. if they are an introvert and dislike promoting, or have to spend 8+ hours a day at a regular job? Learningcurve referenced Amanda, too, so it seems to me that the answer to increasing sales from 38 copies to 100,000 is obvious.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12618
Registration date : 2008-01-11

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Yes, write another book ... and another ... and another.

By the way, it's no secret that non-fiction publishers bring out new editions to drive up sales. The second edition isn't to introduce new material -- it's to compete with secondhand sales. Readers are always looking for something new. It's a myth about standards and quality being important to publishers -- sales are important. If that means polishing a manuscript 'til it shines, that's what they'll do. If it means getting a shoddy book out to meet a market demand (Lewinsky) they'll do that as well.

gone - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ gone - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ gone - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ gone - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ gone - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ gone - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 pm

LC wrote:
Quote :
actually very often. I go there to buy ebooks, frankly i like to avoid the shipping charges from America. it's pricey! i'm in the U.K.

You don't browse Amazon's UK site? Or the sites of the ebook publishers themselves? What about Smashwords appeals to you as a browser/buyer? How do you find the books you end up buying? (and note, I said buy, not download free).

sure i do! Amazon uk. i love the stuff on kindle.
i often know what book i want.
but i do browse too.
buying is buying. you need to download what you buy if you want 100 percent of it!

right?
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:45 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Yes, write another book ... and another ... and another.

By the way, it's no secret that non-fiction publishers bring out new editions to drive up sales. The second edition isn't to introduce new material -- it's to compete with secondhand sales. Readers are always looking for something new. It's a myth about standards and quality being important to publishers -- sales are important. If that means polishing a manuscript 'til it shines, that's what they'll do. If it means getting a shoddy book out to meet a market demand (Lewinsky) they'll do that as well.

true an author is as good as his/her last book.
it's a tough business.
that is a given!
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:55 pm

LC wrote:
Shelagh wrote:
One answer here:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/the-annual-ebook-spring-cleaning-what-i-learned-this-year/

From your link:

"Before there was Smashwords, the big indie goldmine was the Fictionwise multiformat book, and I used to get suckered in to spending on the new stuff with the promise of rebates I could use to get a dozen of these pretty much for free. This turned out to be a costly regret. Fictionwise did not allow reviews and most of these books had no samples; I bought blind on the strength of the plot description, and it turned out that in many cases, I bought stupid. Of the ones I actually read, most were mediocre at best. And of the ones I hadn’t yet read, most of them didn’t look all that compelling or well produced when opened up and sampled.
In my mind, Smashwords is a huge step up because it allows for both samples and reviews."

A huge step up from what? From an indie site that didn't allow samples and from which she bought lousy stuff? This must be what the phrase "faint praise" means.

How many people browse and buy from lousy indie sites? Enough to generate 38 sales, apparently. But learningcurve didn't seem happy with that. I guess the vast majority of people are all Luddites?

BTW, my trade nonfic has sold 80K copies during its 22 year lifetime. The vast majority being from physical bookshelves. I prefer being a Luddite. Puts more money in my pocket.

39! don't make it less! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! affraid

80k is excellent. good for you!

39 now, more as i go along. i shall work hard on the sequel and hard on the next and the next and those after that.
I enjoy writing and, gone - Page 2 733985 hopefully, I will continue to enjoy it.

as this is fairly new to me: the promotion, the sales--this whole publshing thing, i have accepted the 39 and plan to just keep going!

I think it is fair to say I was only kidding about Luddite btw.

i love these little emoticons! i never used them. but i love these. sorry if i got carried away!
Back to top Go down
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:20 pm

I went with Virtual Tales because novellas are hugely difficult to sell. There used to be bigger market for them fifty years ago. I was about to give up and start hacking away on a novel length version when VT accepted my novella.
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:19 pm

zizban wrote:
I went with Virtual Tales because novellas are hugely difficult to sell. There used to be bigger market for them fifty years ago. I was about to give up and start hacking away on a novel length version when VT accepted my novella.

That's great! i think things change all the time, people's tastes. see? it was accepted. i also think there are many readers with such busy life styles who prefer a novella actually, finding there's more to sink their teeth into than a short story and they'll wrap it up quicker than a novel--just my impression.

that's great. never say never, right?
Back to top Go down
learningcurve
One Star Member
One Star Member
learningcurve

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 6:26 am

LC wrote:
That's great. How can someone replicate Amanda's success, esp. if they are an introvert and dislike promoting, or have to spend 8+ hours a day at a regular job? Learningcurve referenced Amanda, too, so it seems to me that the answer to increasing sales from 38 copies to 100,000 is obvious.

I answered this before don't know where it went. i mean i responded to this before!

I love the challenge. I am not so daft as to think i'm going to make a lot of money or even a living.

My husband is very supportive and has encouraged me to write full-time. I've been doing that for the past three years.
YOU DO ACCEPT I SOLD 39 COPIES, L.C. Very Happy a sale is a sale after all.

I enjoy the marketing although it is hard. i've had my book reviewed primarily by book bloggers.

I've had great reviews. One four star one by another publisher of books I consider to be 'dude' horror so this was very pleasing to me.

I start a virtual book tour shortly and there are over a thousand press releases which will be sent out among other things.
I did initially send press releases myself.

along with all of this I am writing my sequel (requested by my publisher).

not easy but it's exciting!
and neither you nor I nor anyone else knows where it can lead. gone - Page 2 986286
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

gone - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gone   gone - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

gone
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Authors-
Jump to: