Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:24 pm

It is difficult to understand the intent of a passage of writing when a single phrase or sentence is taken out of context. We do better when we can see what concept is being addressed. The following is from
http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?com=mhc&b=43&c=6

Quote :
Commentary on John 6:60-6

(Read John 6:60-65)

Text of John 6:60-65:
The Words of Eternal Life

[60] Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
[61] When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
[62] What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
[63] It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I
speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
[64] But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
[65] And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
Footnotes
offend: or, scandalize, or, cause you to stumble

Commentary:
The human nature of Christ had not before been in heaven, but being
God and man, that wondrous Person was truly said to have come down from
heaven. The Messiah's kingdom was not of this world; and they were to
understand by faith, what he had said of a spiritual living upon him,
and his fulness. As without the soul of man the flesh is of no value, so
without the quickening Spirit of God all forms of religion are dead and
worthless. He who made this provision for our souls, alone can teach us
these things, and draw us unto Christ, that we may live by faith in
him. Let us apply to Christ, thankful that it is declared that every one
who is willing to come unto him shall be made welcome
[b]
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

alj, I was of the understanding that those who follow the dead guy, Joseph Campbell, will be safe in the cosmos, and need not worry about God stuff? You comment a lot on God stuff. Why do you even bother? You claim to have the truth from the dead guy, Joseph Campbell.
It's my own opion, but I think the dead guy Joseph Campbell was full of shit.
Back to top Go down
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:54 pm

What I find refreshing is that discussion flows here without hate-mongering. Often when people discuss their beliefs, things sink to name-calling, condemnation, and downright meaness. How sad.

Oh my, we have ADULTS here! I love that!sunny
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Beliefs and faith are all we have to go on in an unexplained, undefined universe.

I'm working on figuring it out. I'll let you know...
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Charmaine
One Star Member
One Star Member
Charmaine

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 am

We are all different and thats what makes us all special! Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.charmainemaeer.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 am

I know nothing. I do think that we are aware of the suffering in the world because it is what makes news and news is every minute of every day.

I also believe the world is a place of joy and generosity, a place of of hopes and dreams. It is a place of beauty and peace.

It is also a place of events beyond comprehension. However, we have the capacity to work toward resolution of the challenges. Some people devote their lives to improving the world. Some improve the world by their own life sending ripples.

One thing feels certain to me. The feelings of love and hope that we experience are far better to carry than those of hatred and fear. My stepmother always said to carry hate used up room for love and which one do we wish to carry?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 am

I have the book, "A Higher Good" written by Ron Kruger. I picked it up last night and I'm re-reading it. He covers much on the subject being discussed.
It is a great book with one huge flaw - there was no editing done by the publisher. It detracts from the book. I hope that when his contract expires, he will seek to have it published again.

I highly recommend his book and will do what I can to help promote it.
Back to top Go down
Blue_Lotus

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Hope no one minds my joining this conversation.

As a non Christian, This question makes me laugh... That’s not a bad thing mind you, will "Jesus come back" this question depends on your own personal belief system.

Believing that he will return forces one to admit two things, A reincarnation does exist and B if it does than everything you thought you knew was wrong.

Personally speaking I believe in God, and what I call him/her/them would not be important to this conversation at this time.

However I do believe in the cycle of life. we are born, we live, we die, and we are reborn (The reasons for this are not important now).

So when I hear someone ask this question I get a little giggle out of it because most of the askers can't admit that if Jesus were to return than that would blow the lid off what they believe. As most Christians seem to think that when we die we ascend to some higher realm where bubble gum and lemon drops fall from the sky and rivers of milk and honey flow freely. Which is what would have happened to the son of God after his ordeal. Right?

So let us assume that I am correct for a moment, if he were to return, then reincarnation would be a fact and not something regulated to the "weird" or "Non-Traditional" religions such as Hinduism.

Now lets say that I am wrong and you are right, God's son was killed, went to heaven and that is that, if this is true than he could not return because reincarnation does not exist.

The only way this argument would work is if you believed in Avatars (manifestations) of the Lord, which is a concept that is present in nearly every religion.

So if Reincarnation is false, and Avatars are real than God could presumably have been here many times through out the ages, giving rise to many of the worlds religions...

Just something to think about.
~BL~
Back to top Go down
sidneyafall@aol.com

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 10:49 am

alice wrote:
I do --don't know when, but I think He will come back again.

What do you think?

Jesus said "I am always with you!" That's just what I believe. He doesn't have to manifest in physical form when He is All in All.
Back to top Go down
Dale Coparanis

Dale Coparanis

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:28 pm

For an orthodox Christian, this question is quite simple to answer. Yes, Jesus will come again. Just as He came the first time, right on time, He will come again to take His people to the Heavenly promise land.

It's interesting that this question has so recently been asked on this forum for I am in the beginning stages of writing a book on the same topic. It will be a work of fiction for I do not pretend to be a prophet; just a devoted believer who has read the Word.

The questions for everyone now, as it has been since man was first on this earth, is whether you trust God first and put Him first in your heart or if you do not. It really is that simple. And it is also that hard. A very wise man once said that the distance between Heaven and hell is 18 inches - that's roughly the normal distance from one's brain to one's heart. We can talk all we want about knowing God, etc. But if He isn't in our heart then we aren't His and He won't have us in Heaven with Him. It's our choice - but it has to come from the heart. Jesus said, "You must be born again" with the spirit in your heart and whosoever does will have eternal life (See John 3:1-21).
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 08, 2012 11:35 pm

My mindset is much like that of DK. No one knows. It is our belief and faith that guides us, however I think our "gut" tells us what we need to know.
I believe that God (spirit) permeates the world and therefore is constantly with us. Will Jesus return in a physical form? Who knows? If he is already here in spirit, what would be different with a physical representation? It is unlikely that people would believe that he was God. How many miracles would he need to perform for credibility?

Think with your heart and gut. If it feels right, it most likely is. If there is doubt, it may be lack of faith or just wrong. I don't think it is important to believe or not to believe that he will return to earth in physical form.
According to scripture, we are all Gods and we are here in physical form.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 2:39 am

Mmm, my better judgement tells me to stay out of this. Never did show good judgement so here goes.

The world is not two thousand years old, it is 4.5 billion years old. If you can get your mind around that time scale, then anything that happes to humans, who have been on the planet for a million or so years (maybe only half a million), is insignificant except to those who want to think a certain way and want others to think the same way.

Jesus was born two thousand years ago, died and supposedly rose again, and then ascended to a place that no other person has returned from to prove whether or not Heaven exists. A new testament bible full of stories written by his closest disciples tells of miracles he performed and places he visited in great detail. Not a word from Jesus about Heaven. He came back and told the world nothing about the place he came back from. Where's the sense in that? Why bother to come back if the coming back tells us nothing about the afterlife? I'm sure that believers have an answer; how else could they be believers? That's what faith is about; believing what you want to believe and then finding an argument to support it.

Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:38 am

I hope George Burns comes back.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 9:52 am

How nice--more discussion. If people believe in the second coming and live, not just preach, the way Jesus did--they would be happier and if they were wrong in their belief--they would never know it.

I am happier looking forward to seeing my friends and relatives again. Funerals are difficult enough without a total loss of hope.

I have yet to attend a funeral where the speaker said, "Your loved one is dead and you just get used to it."

I have accepted Jesus as my Saviour.
Whether He comes and when He comes is His business.
I trust Him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Dale Coparanis

Dale Coparanis

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:35 am

One of the things we'll be surprised about in Heaven (among many things) will be who will be there and who will not. As Jesus said,
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!" (MT 7:21-23 NKJV)

Jesus also spoke many times about what Heaven is like - just look at all the parables He related regarding what the Kingdom of Heaven is like. The book of Revelation also describes Heaven in detail and how Heaven will look when it eventually comes to earth (see chapters 21 and 22 of Revelation).

We are also told in scripture not to think of ourselves any more than we should. We are to be still and know that He is God (paraphrase of Psalm 46:10). God manifested Himself in the flesh (Jesus) and died for the sins of all mankind. When He was resurrected, He still bore the marks in His side and hands of what we did to Him. How great His love for us that He would take the penalty that we most decidedly deserve so that those who believe can be with Him forever.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
I hope George Burns comes back.
Me too; he'd certainly have a lot to say about what goes on up there.

Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 12:15 pm

I liked your post, Shelagh. The more I know about religion the more disturbed I become. I have three relatives in the preaching business. I have a wife that took religious studies at the University and that was enlightening. The study of religion is not the support of religious philosophy. A parable is an imagined event. I think I'd better stop here so as not to get into too much trouble. Belief is not proof.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 3:04 pm

Religions do have problems--they are run by imperfect humans. I worship God not organized religions.

Anyone who could not see the errors of religious institutions would have to be blind, deaf and dumb.

God has never failed me. Churches have.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I know I'm asking for trouble, too, but what's new?

This is a scene I added to Chapter 5 of Redstone's Valley a couple of days ago, after I started revising. It's a summation of the book's main message, you might say:

(Texas Hill Country - 1852)
Quote :
They lay together in their bed in the back room of the stone house, with pillows at their backs, propped against the stone wall. Daniel took a small amulet from around his neck and handed it to Maria so that she could see it more closely. It was a familiar piece. He was wearing it the first day they met, and she would see it whenever he wore an open shirt. She had learned, since their wedding night, that he wore it always, even as he slept. As she held it, she could see that it was a red-gold stone, like a tiny piece of the larger one she had seen, hidden in the caves beneath them. It was intricately carved, in spite of being so small, not much more than an inch around.
"It is a medicine wheel," he told her. "See how the center is a circle? The circle shows that all of life is interconnected. What happens to one of us happens to all. In my uncle's library in New Orleans, I found, and read, a book of sermons by a 17th century churchman named John Donne. He spoke of this concept in one of the sermons. 'No man is an island,' he said. 'Each of us is part of the Continent, a part of the main.' and he explained it by saying, 'If so much as a clod were washed away, England would be the less.' This circle has the same meaning. See how it never ends?" he traced his finger around as Maria held the talisman in her hands, entranced by what her new husband was tellng her. "It reminds us that life is eternal. And see, too, that this circle is divided into quarters? Four, my Hopi grandmother told me, is the number of totality, of the All, like the circle that holds them together - body, mind, emotion, and spirit, all working together, all of equal importance, held in balance by the constraints of that circle of wholeness."
He stroked his new wife's hair as it lay across his shoulder and continued. "Our first obligation is to become a whole being, all parts of ourselves interrelated and working together." He continued to relate the teachings of his grandmother, remembering, almost word for word, as he went along. "It begins on the inside, within ourselves, and with knowing who we are, where we come from, and why we think and act as we do. It is a process that continues throughout our lives, each experience teaching us more, and helping us to understand why we are here. And as we come to know ourselves more completely, we can begin to know others, so that eventually, we can see their acts without judging them."
"First," Maria interjected, "take the plank from your own eye?"
Daniel nodded his approval. "Exactly, 'so we can see more clearly to help our brother.' That is a part of it, a very important part." He pointed again to the etched bit of stone, "Do you see how the four quarters of the circle are defined by a cross? When I was an apprentice seaman I traveled to many far places, learning about many different ways of life, and I found that the circle and the cross were often important symbols, even among so-called 'heathens,' who had never heard of our Christ."
He continued, in a slightly different vein, "When the medicine wheel is painted or woven, each quarter has its own color: white, black, yellow, and red. These colors represent the basic elements of our scientific world: air, water, earth, and fire. They also represent the four possible colors of human skin. When I was on the other side of the world, I saw many people whose skin was yellow, so it did not surprise me when my grandmother told me this was so."
He looked toward his wife again, and seeing that her face held a curious intensity, he continued, speaking softly, "Once we have come to know ourselves, we can begin to understand others, and let go of the need to judge them, and when we have found there is no reason to judge we can also see that there is no reason to feel shame, and so, no need to blame another."
He finished, then, "We are all on a journey - a quest - to find out why we are here, and what it is that we are here to do. That means we must be ever mindful, and aware of what is happening around us, and inside of us, so that we have the courage to take action," he pointed to one quarter of the circle etched into the stone talisman as he spoke,and he continued, "the wisdom to know which action, and the willingness to accept responsibility for the way we live and relate to others." He stroked Maria's hair again, and kissed her temple. "In this way, so I was taught, we live with honor."
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Thank you, All, for your views. One thing, please do not apologize or feel you are causing trouble by stating how you see things. You are just as entitled to your view as anyone else is to theirs. flower flower flower

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Excellent piece of writing, Ann. The message is clear with truth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?   Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Believe Jesus Will Return to Earth?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Religion and Spirituality-
Jump to: