Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

digital v print books

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

digital v print books Empty
PostSubject: digital v print books   digital v print books EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 6:09 pm

My former acquisitions editor called today. She works for Pearson in NYC. (Prentice-Hall, Penguin Books, Addison-Wesley, etc.) It was a social call; we worked together for many years and for several publishers and we were getting caught up. Our imprint kept getting acquired, so we were with Henry Holt, IDG Books, Wiley, etc.

Debra told me something revealing. We've discussed this topic before on this board but up until now all we had was opinion and speculation.

She said that more than 50% of the books published now by Pearson are digital rather than print.

That is a significant revelation.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: digital v print books   digital v print books EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Pearson is mostly an educational publisher (exception being Penguin, of course). So she's saying that text and business materials are now more than half digital? I wonder if she's including Coursemart.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: digital v print books   digital v print books EmptyTue Feb 15, 2011 8:12 pm

I didn't ask for specific details. But I think she was saying Pearson across the board. When we talk again, I'll ask more questions.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
indiewordsmith

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-09-22

PostSubject: Re: digital v print books   digital v print books EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 2:02 pm

LC wrote:
Pearson is mostly an educational publisher (exception being Penguin, of course). So she's saying that text and business materials are now more than half digital? I wonder if she's including Coursemart.

Right, I learned the same too. They are focused on education/learning materials(?). This I have to verify.

Anyway, this is great news. All the best in this endeavor of yours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.biography-publishing.com/
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: digital v print books   digital v print books EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Indiewordsmith: what do you have to verify? That Pearson is big into digital? Or educational materials?

They recently published a textbook of mine, and it's already on Coursesmart and even the Nook. I was surprised at this, especially the Nook. Why the rush to undercut the paper price? Cengage never digitized my textbook with them, and its sales are holding steady four years later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: digital v print books   digital v print books Empty

Back to top Go down

digital v print books
Page 1 of 1