Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

In search of a publisher...

Go down 
+2
dkchristi
Al Stevens
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

In search of a publisher... Empty
PostSubject: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:25 pm

I've been busy. I started with a list of publishers that, supposedly, have editors who accept queries directly from authors. It's a big list and it includes the email addresses of the editors and websites for the publishers.

I went to each website to read their submission guidelines. Here's what I found:

1. Most publishers, even the small ones, want you to send paper. No email accepted. If 1988 ever comes back, they'll be ready.
  2. Many of the small publishers are either not accepting submissions "at this time" -- they say they've been deluged with submissions -- or have just disappeared. Dead websites.
  3. Those who are still active and are accepting submissions all have different specifications for the content. So you can't just cobble together a standard package and send it on request.
  4. Many of them say that if you are submitting to other publishers or agents, they don't want to hear from you. But if they do hear from you, they'll take up to four months to respond during which you may not submit to any others. If they bother to respond, that is. Rock. Hard place.

I narrowed it down to nine potential publishers based on who was soliciting what genres and what their content criteria are. And, yes, there are nine different sets of submission requirements.

It's been a frustrating day.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Been there. That's why I published with L & L Dreamspell. They were very reasonable in their submission requirements even though my first attempt led to rejection. I did not give up. They had many award-winning authors and no bad news.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 pm

Well, there's two things going against L&L right out of the chute.

First, they've got that anti-present-tense bias. She told me that no part of a book she published would have present tense narrative. That litmus test would have rejected Dickens's Bleak House.

Second, I don't like most of her cover designs. And, since she does the artwork herself, there's probably not much an author can do about that.

Other than that, they look like a good outfit.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:13 pm

They will take suggestions from authors for covers. I made suggestions and sent some potential cover art. The final product was all L & L Dreamspell straight from the story line, so I was really pleased.

The tense thing is a major problem for me, but I want my work published so I keep rewriting. The short story that will be in Romance of My Dreams II, "The View From the Balcony" was difficult to rewrite without missing something - and L & L Dreamspell practically rewrote it because of POV and tense issues - and then I had a horse that had a sex change somewhere along the run on the beach (they fixed that too...)

They are a great outfit because of their personal involvement and wonderful editors; as they grow, that may change...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Their Reality Check page tells a big story.

"Also the total sales for each book average in the hundreds rather than the thousands."

They don't say whether that's copies or dollars, but whichever it is, it's a very small return on a major investment of time. Why would someone enter into an agreement that virtually guarantees that it will put them at the poverty level?

Writing a good book is a full-time job that pays less than food stamp wages, according to them.

That's a reality that says, "If you don't have a working SO or a comfortable nest egg, stay out."
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 pm

I narrowed my publisher hunt down to eight so far. Four accept email submission, and the other four want paper. Guess who'll get my attention first.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyFri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Today, a publisher responded with a request to see the synopsis and about 35 pages. This was Reck House Press, a small traditional publisher in Maine. That was quick. They have the query process streamlined. You fill out a form on their website and send it in. I've seen that in only one other place, an agent's website.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 12:52 pm

I looked at LLDreamspell's website. These two entries on the Author FAQ page are dishonest:

"...if it is important for you to have your book on store shelves, then you'll need to find an agent and seek publication with a major New York Press and not a small press like L&L."

"As with all publishers L&L Dreamspell prepares Media Releases and sends out review copies- authors must promote their work to be successful"

Ignoring this page's many grammar and punctuation errors, both these statements are FALSE. I have no agent and am with a small press that has its books, including mine, in chain stores all over the country (world, actually). LLDreamspell isn't a small press, it's a micropress. Big difference.

Then they conflate their micropress selves with "as with all publishers" to flimflam the author into thinking having no marketing department or sales force is normal and to believe it's up to him or her to make the book's sales successful. Sending out media releases and review copies (to whom?) isn't much of a sales effort.

Sorry, these two statements make it Red Flag City. No wonder their authors sell "in the hundreds, not thousands." In fact, I bet most of their authors sell "in the dozens." To their friends and family.

Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 1:47 pm

I think those statements are meant for writers of fiction.

I, too, never had an agent and worked with a small press (at first), yet I had space in all the chain bookstores. But I was writing computer programming books. There was a demand for them, and, although the publisher used a salesman to get books in the big stores, it wasn't a hard sell.
Back to top Go down
R. Benton Jacks

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-04-08

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi Al,
Thanks for the info. Well I feel lucky to have a found self publishing a great experience. In all that I have learned, self publishing has pitfalls that are time intensive $$$. I find myself working on the computer more than writing what I relish. I am about to end my evil journey and start looking for a print house that will take over fulfillment burdens. My venues are small book production of technical wiring, cooking, poems and dream analysis. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
aklanlife

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-06-07

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 6:42 am

Hello Al Stevens, R. Benton Jack, as well as the others,

I am working on a publishing company named International Alliance Pro-Publishing, LLC and we are looking for authors and writer who would like to publish books for a very low price of $5 per book. Minimum of 10 copies per package. Package includes ISBN, Barcode, Cover, and Shipment to your place. The distribution will be your option either we do the distribution or you may distribute your copies for yourself. If you are interested, you may send me a personal message so that I could explain you the information. You may also visit our website at aklanlife.com.

Best regards,

AklanLife.com
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 am

No thanks, aklanlife. For less than five bucks a book I can publish POD with Createspace, which includes all that plus sales from the createspace website and an amazon listing.

Back to top Go down
bansalvip

bansalvip

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-02-12

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 am

Hello Al, I am a freelance eBook designer. I can help you with your eBook publishing.
As a sample of work you can view my first book 'Blog:From Building to Celebrating' now live on amazon.
Being a freelance designer I am flexible with any kind of formatting demands.
Hope to hear a reply from you.
Back to top Go down
http://in.linkedin.com/in/bansalvip
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I'm a DIYer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In search of a publisher...   In search of a publisher... Empty

Back to top Go down

In search of a publisher...
Page 1 of 1