Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A funny thought on rejections...via the agent

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
melLkinder
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
melLkinder

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2011-09-09

A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:58 pm

I would totally buy a I AM THE BEST REJECTED AUTHOR shirt. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.melaniekinder.com
Victor D. Lopez
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Victor D. Lopez

Number of posts : 984
Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:26 am

Lin,

Masterful T-shirt slogans every one. Not bad for book titles, either.

As to rejections by publishers (or agents), it seems that in a world paralyzed by political correctness, these folks haven't gotten the memo about the need to help our self esteem, applaud our most inane efforts, and provide us with a trophy just for showing up. How terribly selfish and unkind of them to judge our submissions and not simply send us a check before reading them. The nerve!

Life is too short. Why learn to crawl before you learn to walk if you can simply fly to the outer reaches of the universe propelled by the warm vapors of unbridled ego?

Heinlein told us, "Thou art God." Thou art also a poet, writer, musician, artist, and Most Important Person in the Universe as vetted by the new Trinity of Me, Myself and I.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bully in need of immediate re-education through any means necessary.
Back to top Go down
http://www.victordlopez.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 am

I am a member of a small news press organization that had a meeting last night. A member is a local agent who has the good fortune of two Halmark movie contracts for two books she represents. I congratulated her last night; the first thing out of her mouth was, "I am not taking any more clients but I'll give your book to one of my staff." The only words out of my mouth were, "congratulations on the recent movies." That's rejection before submission.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10712
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Many who have succeeded forget what they had to endure before they made it. And if they do remember, perhaps they take delight in your suffering.

The people who have empathy and sincerely try to help are rare.
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 am

Ah yes a rejection competition! I'm good at those. 15 publisher rejections of my first novel - Worse Things Happen At Sea. Then 20 for my current fantasy novel, Nature Mage. I thought I'd made it when the first agent I ever wrote to took me on, but several years later I've had to let him go, as he was a very rude individual with no patience whatsoever who took the unorthodox approach of charging for submissions. The first thing you get when you put his name in a search engine is "WRITERS BEWARE!" Sometimes I wonder if having an agent with a bad reputation has hamstrung the submissions he made on my behalf, which in turn makes it harder to find a new agent. Alternatively, I might not be a very good writer! Smile

I'm very encouraged to read all of your comments and to realise I'm not out there on my own.
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:08 am

P.S. How do I get stars after my name? I want stars!!!
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:51 am

You post a lot. Stars are a representation of the number of forum posts (I think!)

I have applied for so many jobs that ended in rejection that I am numbed by the process. I remember one set of rejections: they took me to a fine restaurant to say I came in #2; they took me to another fine restaurant to say I came in #2; they took me to Burger King to tell me I came in #2. I quit applying for jobs with that company. I didn't need food, I needed a job.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12618
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:10 am

Duncan Pile wrote:
P.S. How do I get stars after my name? I want stars!!!
You want stars? I'll give you stars. Keep posting and your first star will appear by magic.

A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 am

Lol ok. Posts = stars Smile Got it. It'll make me feel like I work at McDonalds!

Yes dkchristi (bit of a mouthful that!) that seems a bit unnecessary, taking you out for food just to disappoint you. Those companies obviously have time and money to burn.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 am

A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 921805 Creating stars in this manner is not what Shelagh means, although there are a few that would earn them thus.
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Ah so it is quality over quantity? I'm only messing anyway. Right, I'm off for the evening. Poker calls....
Back to top Go down
KatjaB
Three Star Member
Three Star Member
KatjaB

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2012-08-27

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Hiya All,

I am still working my way through posts in the forums- and tonight I thought I would read some of your posts on "rejection."

I have not gotten one of those, yet, because I have only submitted one thing and that was just a couple of days ago (does it count that I am expecting a rejection?).

... I might just frame it for the bathroom (in which case I will post a pic with it)... dunno yet.

Oh oh... what if they do not even invest the time to reject me? Has that ever happened to anybody?

BTW I am a strong believer in "Hope for the best, expect the worst"

Huggles,
Katja
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 9:38 am

A playwright with some measure of fame recently met with me and shared his opinion of my book, Ghost Orchid. He said he preferred a book that had very little telling and mostly dialogue. Therefore, the part of the book he enjoyed most was the various relationships among the characters and he wanted even more of their conversations and experiences with each other. When I shared that I had difficulty with dialogue, he shared that moviedom would not come my way until dialogue became my friend. A movie script is dialogue. He said to write a novel as though it would become a movie, not just to tell a story.
Back to top Go down
jomarks

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-10-01

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 am

I am now set up with Penrose and they ask if you want the actual rejection letters. Advice? Do they add anything?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 am

Uh oh, I just had a rejection. It went like this (summary): We have read your manuscript and did not like it because it was too much telling and not enough showing; but just to be certain, we sent it on to another editor to review. The second editor felt the same. We recommend you hire a book doctor to rewrite the manuscript with less passive voice, more showing and less telling.

Since that is the second time in as many months the "telling not showing" criticism has hit, I better take note.

It cuts.....

I'm reading a memoir at present that is all "telling" and "passive voice" and was on the best-sellers list. Well, she is the wife of a famous football player, but so what? Hmmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 am

Telling a story or watching a story being presented/told. Writing a true story about one's experience is telling it like it happened. Using dialogue helps, but the dialogue is what one remembers it to be and cannot be accepted as 100% true unless one took notes and recorded all conversations.

I remember comments made to Carol Trostler when she submitted her book about the Cuban missle crisis. It was a true account. I had read her manuscript and it was written as relayed to her by her husband and others involved in the military operation. They rejected it based on "too much telling and not enough showing."
Carol was perplexed and didn't know what to do. I tried to be of help, however the telling part was relating what she was told. It is difficult to separate the two. I don't think there is a simple answer about handling that.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12618
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Carol submitted the manuscript to me (first few chapters), Abe. The biggest problem from a publisher's point of view was the excessive use of pre-published/private material that would require permission (in some cases permission that would have to be paid for), and no indication that permission had been sought.

To new authors submitting non-fiction work to a publisher: it is the author's responsibility to obtain permission and publishers/agents will look more favourably upon submissions that contain evidence of permissions already sought.

Whatever reason they gave for rejecting your manuscript, DK, the bottom line is that the publishers couldn't see a way to make money out of your work. If they could, they would accept it no matter how much "telling" the manuscript contained.

A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A funny thought on rejections...via the agent   A funny thought on rejections...via the agent - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

A funny thought on rejections...via the agent
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Agents-
Jump to: