Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Self-published books reveiwed on PW

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Self-published books reveiwed on PW Empty
PostSubject: Self-published books reveiwed on PW   Self-published books reveiwed on PW EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 3:19 am

If you run a website that depends on the world of publishing for its income, then ignoring the burgeoning self-publishing side of the market is missing out on a financial opportunity. Publishers pay for good book placements in stores and for shop window displays. It's one of the arguments put forward to show that self-publishing cannot compete. Publishers Weekly have woken up to the idea that self-publishers would be just as willing to pay for good book exposure as the major publishing houses. The website is offering self-published authors the opportunity to pay to see their books listed on the website:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is an enormous market of self-published titles that is about to be tapped.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Self-published books reveiwed on PW   Self-published books reveiwed on PW EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Sorry, this does not excite me. It reminds me of the B&N "Local Writers" display. If you can't get a book signing at B&N because your book is POD, they bring together 15 -20 local POD authors to sell their books on consignment in the B&N store.

That positioning says, "less than."

If PW said they had a team of readers who would vet the POD & self-published books for quality and then incorporate them in the mainsream of traditional published books for reviews, etc., then I would be excited.

Their supplement is like going to the Publish America bookstore....everything from great to awful with no way of knowing. Same thing with Kindle and Smashwords. Fictionwise requires books be submitted by publishers - at least that assumes a book has been vetted.

First Chapters Plus, a new ezine by Reader Views will take any book and advertise it for a fee. It tends to have a lot of small press and POD, but I ran an ad; it's totally democratic. It gets lots of google action and action from online bookstores looking for an excerpt and synopsis. The reader of the ezine gets a first chapter to review and decide for themselves if they wish to purchase the book.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Self-published books reveiwed on PW   Self-published books reveiwed on PW EmptyThu Sep 30, 2010 7:28 pm

Quote :
It reminds me of the B&N "Local Writers" display

What's wrong with the Local Writers display?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Self-published books reveiwed on PW   Self-published books reveiwed on PW Empty

Back to top Go down

Self-published books reveiwed on PW
Page 1 of 1