Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Foreshadowing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Foreshadowing Empty
PostSubject: Foreshadowing   Foreshadowing EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Do you like to read foreshadows?
Do you use foreshadows when you write?
How often?
How much information do you disclose in the foreshadow about the foreshadowed event?
How far past the foreshadow can the foreshadowed event be?
Examples?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Foreshadowing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreshadowing   Foreshadowing EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I wrote about And Adam was a Gardener when you asked about prologues and epilogues. The structure of that work goes back and forth. The prologue has the hero, Dawilan, appearing out of nowhere in a forest on relatively present day Earth. The first "book" takes place a few years later, also on Earth, in Northwest Houston. The heroine, Maggie, meets two men, David Llewellyn and Brian "Briny" Devlin. Hopefully, the readers will wonder which of the two men is the alien Dawilan they met in the prologue. The answer is revealed at the end of that first book. Book Two takes the story backwards, to Dawilan's home planet, Volara, and explains his history, and why he came to Earth. The third book takes up where the first left off.

I didn't originally write it that way. It grew from a writing exercise re creating a utopia. Only, as I wrote, the utopia became flawed, and the hero had to leave his home planet, coming to Earth to save it, but was saved by the Earth people instead. It was one of those writings that just takes on a life of its own and writes itself. Afterwards, I felt the story would hold more interest if it started in media res, as they say.

Several chapters are located in the WIP section.

I have always enjoyed the added mystery of a story where the time sequence moves around, foreshadowings included. It isn't always a good thing, but seemed right for that story. Tell us more about yours, Al.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Foreshadowing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreshadowing   Foreshadowing EmptyFri Sep 03, 2010 4:52 pm

alj wrote:
I have always enjoyed the added mystery of a story where the time sequence moves around, foreshadowings included.
That reminds me of Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five."
alj wrote:
It isn't always a good thing, but seemed right for that story. Tell us more about yours, Al.
I am telling the story, and I give the reader a one-liner hint of what is coming later.

Example:

===========================

“We’re looking for couriers,” the recruiter said. “Drivers to deliver pouches and chauffer executive personnel around town. All you need is a driver’s license and a security clearance, which we will provide after a background investigation.”

Harold couldn't know that the job would entail a lot more than that.
=================================
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Foreshadowing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Foreshadowing   Foreshadowing Empty

Back to top Go down

Foreshadowing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Writing and Publishing :: Articles-
Jump to: