Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Plot-driven v character-driven novels.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Plot-driven v character-driven novels. Empty
PostSubject: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:58 am

Which do you prefer to read? To write? Comments?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 am

I never understood the distinction. What is an example of a plot vs character driven novel? Don't all novels have plots?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 10:52 am

The plot for The Power of Persuasion is weak. Charles Berton wrote: "And I’ve read Shelagh’s work, and if her goal is to deliver wit, humor and intriguing social commentary, she hits her mark."

Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 12:24 pm

All novels have plots and characters. The question is: Where is the emphasis placed?

A plot-driven work is centered around the action. The characters in such a work rarely reflect on their deeds, their surroundings, etc. The characters are subordinate to the plot and don't have much time for reflection. Tom Clancy, for example.

A character-driven work focuses on the characters and how they develop throughout the story. Romance novels, Coming of age, etc. J.D. Salinger, for example.

Many works are a balance of both. It's what I'm striving for.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Anyone who listened to the NPR review of Ghost Orchid found at www.dkchristi.com would hear that reviewer say at the end the reason to read the book was the beauty of the Everglades that shines through on every page; the ghost orchid the heart and soul of the story; the environment the main character.

She bipassed my whole plot and every one of my characters to say the value of the book was its environment flavor. Where does that fit in plot v. character?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 pm

dkchristi wrote:
She bipassed my whole plot and every one of my characters to say the value of the book was its environment flavor. Where does that fit in plot v. character?
Maybe it proves that there are more than only the two categories. Or that the reviewer is unaware of the two ways being discussed here to orient a story. How would you characterize that particular work?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
dkchristi wrote:
Maybe it proves that there are more than only the two categories. Or that the reviewer is unaware of the two ways being discussed here to orient a story. How would you characterize that particular work?
DK,

The reviewer was enchanted by the environmental atmosphere you created but neither hooked by the story nor involved with the characters ... or she was just jealous that you had written a book she wished she had written ...

Al,

Literary fiction writers rely on the characters in their stories to capture the reader's imagination whereas commercial fiction writers depend on strong plots to drive the story along. Neither one is better than the other. However, commercial fiction is an easier sell to an agent/publisher because literary fiction has a smaller readership.

Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Plot-driven v character-driven novels. 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plot-driven v character-driven novels.   Plot-driven v character-driven novels. Empty

Back to top Go down

Plot-driven v character-driven novels.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Writing and Publishing :: Articles-
Jump to: