Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Have you ever been pirated?

Go down 
+5
fleamailman
joefrank
LC
dkchristi
DavidC
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 am

If someone pirated one of my books and it became a bestseller (exactly as written), I would be delighted.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:32 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Read the entire article. It states:"Copyright exists from the moment the work is created." Further, it can be registered within 5 years of publication. Five years is certainly enough time to determine if it is worthwhile.

And? I never said otherwise. What does that have to do with mailing a work to yourself?
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 8:35 am

Shelagh wrote:
If someone pirated one of my books and it became a bestseller (exactly as written), I would be delighted.

The OP first posted as an author, but is revealing himself as just another person seeking to sell a product of dubious worth to self-published authors. Assuming the 20-yr old's book really WAS on 50 pirate sites, and the OP isn't confusing these sites with the sales sites that every book with an ISBN is automatically uploaded to, I doubt they affected the book's (lack of ) income one bit.
Back to top Go down
DavidC

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Quote :

Small fry care about their money as much as big fry. I don't know why a small/self pubbed person would buy what you are now describing as an untested product. I also find it hard to believe that 50 sites would lift the material of an unknown, self-published author. Why don't you post some of these sites, with before shots of material on them, and after with the material removed?

Yes, small fry probably care more about their money.

Why would a small fry buy what I am proposing? Piracy is theft. Theft of their money.

As for posting some of the sites with our customers material on them, due to privacy concerns, I dare not post that info into the public domain. However, I just sent you a pm with 43 links to where material was removed for two of our customers.

Regards,
Your friendly PirateDestroyer
Back to top Go down
http://security.profit-smart.com
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 19, 2010 3:02 pm

Quote :

"...conversely, if someone uses my stuff and it flops, I could always say it was theirs to begin with..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...but either way, my writing style protects me on forumland where my posts are so identifiable as me now that I can't say I am exactly worried about whoever reposts me elsewhere under whatever username they like..", besides someone anonymous couldn't claim copyright without revealing to someone else their identity here, so the goblin just relied on atrocious grammar instead

Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 118929484857

Last edited by fleamailman on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am

This picture first appeared on page 103 of my book, First Ark to Alpha Centauri, published in 2005 albeit in a marginally different form:

Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 ACA-10.354170620

The image was retrieved from this site:

http://theproximian.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/ACA-10.354170620.JPG

http://theproximian.com/

It just goes to show that you have no exclusivity over any works whatsoever.
But that's perfectly OK, mind you, since we live in a "caring and sharing" society Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Don't bother copyrighting anything, unless you have the power to stand up and exercise those rights when others plaigiarise your stuff.

Last edited by A Ahad on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Perhaps you can figure out a way to use the exposure. Tie it to your published book
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Ahad, you're right, we can't keep people from right click/saving photos, but you can lightly watermark them to make them less useful. You might apply for a Creative Commons license, too.

eta -sorry, I just re-read and saw it was lifted from your published book. So someone scanned it and just posted it on their site? The publisher should write a letter in that case.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 am

"...losing battle..." went the goblin now, "...for once it's on facebook or photobucket, where everyone can get hold of it, I suppose you could waste the rest of your life trying to catch up with each and every user now but you'd probably be a fool to even try where most people are just hiding behind personas anyway, and where that persona can change form one to the next...", but either way, the goblin saw the real battle to be elsewhere now, saying "...no, the question is not how someone else uses ones stuff here but how to have that serve ones purpose in their doing so..." but the goblin also knew that most bookstuff here, which admittedly worked perfectly for those books of the bookworld, got thumbs down on forumland as TL;DR, "...o how I despair of readers on forumland..." lamented the goblin into his coffee now, adding "...for even this post is probably too long for them..."

Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 3YFVx
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 2:32 am

LC wrote:
So someone scanned it and just posted it on their site?

LOL.. Wouldn't that be way too blatant, LC?

"The moon is made of cheese!" , "The moon is made of cheese!", "The moon is made of cheese, I tell you!"... and if repeated enough times, that will become the accepted world-view. That the moon is made of cheese, and there's no question about it.

Then one day along comes a stranger: "The moon is made of cheese, but with a dash of rock thrown in for good measure."

Now there is a subtle difference, and this stranger's view adds a certain amount of curiosity into the mix and his theory is henceforth held in higher esteem as something "unique".
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 5:49 am

A Ahad wrote:
LC wrote:
So someone scanned it and just posted it on their site?

LOL.. Wouldn't that be way too blatant, LC?

Ahad -textbooks are scanned, page by page, and put on pirate sites. So some people with lots of time on their hands don't mind. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you ever been pirated?   Have you ever been pirated? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Have you ever been pirated?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: