Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

iPads

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

iPads Empty
PostSubject: iPads   iPads EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

A friend plans to buy me an iPad. I had a birthday Saturday (therefore, the largess of gift). I am concerned that an iPad at $500 plus is not a wise expenditure. It's because "you are an author - it's a perfect gift for you."

As one who is scraping buy, it's like putting a Jaguar in the driveway when I really love my Hyundai. I only have a desktop these days and I do travel now and then; I also like to write elsewhere besides my office.

I had a netbook and hated it; this has a wireless keyboard to go with it....as an add-on.

I have an ancient cell phone that barely rings and txts a little with unreadable keys. Isn't there a cell phone these days that is sort of an ipad that would kill two birds with one stone? Although the keyboard is pretty small for actually writing on a cell phone.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated. I guess I should just smile and say, "thank you," but it was suggested that I look at them to decide how much storage I need....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 1:30 pm

I agree that you should just say "thank you." Re storage, the more storage, the more expensive the price. So pick whatever you're comfortable with your friend spending.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 1:23 pm

So did you ever get your iPad? If so, how do you like it? My husband is wanting one, maybe it will be a Christmas present?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 1:37 pm

DK, Say, "Yes please!" You will love it. It will save you a heap of money and become a walking library. You are soooooooooo lucky!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:05 pm

No, I didn't get it; there's a lot of hype that the features can be found elsewhere at such a lesser cost that it is going to go the way of WII, an expensive toy that the more versatile and less costly iphones will stay ahead of in the marketplace. The articles said it's better to wait as the technology speeds forward, that the ipad was designed before the iphone and the iphone stole its thunder and isn't even compatible. :-( Thanks for the encouragement.

Some articles were saying it's "elitist" to have an ipad because they are so overpriced for what they do...that there are other much lower priced similar products either on the market or coming that this is not the time to buy the Ipad except for the desire to be "elitest."
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:30 pm

So what's wrong with being elitist? lol

My husband wants version 2 or 3, actually, due to the current one's drawbacks that critics have written about.

Shelagh, sounds like you have one and use it a lot?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 pm

I have an imac and I would love an ipad. Microsoft is a bigger target for hackers than Apple, which makes life easier for mac users.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 11:12 am

I want this iPad. Don't particularly care how many gigabites it holds. Smile

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
ahesan

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-12-04

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 9:56 am

We love our ipad. My kids use it to get on Facebook, look at our family pictures, play games, draw with art programs, all kinds of stuff.

Last edited by ahesan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
David Griffiths

David Griffiths

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-26

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 3:44 pm

As a writer, I don't think you can beat a laptop, and you can get a pretty good one for $500. I take mine everywhere. I can't imagine not having a keyboard.

Just my two cents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.self-publishing-solutions.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads EmptySat Dec 04, 2010 4:21 pm

I saw a netbook for $176. If I didn't already have mine for $250, I would have been thrilled :-( I am finding my netbook to be an inexpensive tool to schlep around. I'm reading my ebooks on it, writing my stories and novels and doing everything I do on my desktop except play dvd's which I hardly do anymore anyway. With flashdrives, their versatility is pumped up. Then they have the cloud drive to pull files from the pc. I heard netbooks are a dying breed. I say grab them on their way out as the price falls. You don't need to buy a cover (it comes with a lid - I just have a cheap (very cheap) sleeve. You don't need a keyboard (it has one). You can see in the sunlight because the cover helps the glare. Even the keyboard is just a smidge off (the spacebar and I do not get along very well.) If it was up to me, there would be no market for ereaders at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

iPads Empty
PostSubject: Re: iPads   iPads Empty

Back to top Go down

iPads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Information-
Jump to: