Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Indie or trad?

Go down 
+2
LC
Al Stevens
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:15 am

Suppose this was you:

1. Your suspense novel's manuscript is ready.
  2. You are already a published author of non-fiction with many titles to your credit.
  3. You believe in your heart of hearts that because of the subject matter and its timing, an agent will agree to represent and a publisher will agree to publish the book.
  4. You understand the processes of indie publishing, both POD and e-books.
  5. You don't know squat about book marketing, but you are willing to learn.

Given this premise, which would you do? Go in search of an agent or self-publish as an indie? Why? If the latter, would you go with POD, an e-book, or both?
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 7:23 am

1. I would never self-publish. Waste of time.

2. If you think the book has a chance of getting published -by a REAL publisher, not a "Publisher, The Role Playing Game" (aka "indie" or "micro" press), why one earth wouldn't you at least try that route first?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:09 am

Al Stevens wrote:
Suppose this was you:

1. Your suspense novel's manuscript is ready.
  2. You are already a published author of non-fiction with many titles to your credit.
  3. You believe in your heart of hearts that because of the subject matter and its timing, an agent will agree to represent and a publisher will agree to publish the book.
  4. You understand the processes of indie publishing, both POD and e-books.
  5. You don't know squat about book marketing, but you are willing to learn.

Given this premise, which would you do? Go in search of an agent or self-publish as an indie? Why? If the latter, would you go with POD, an e-book, or both?
Step out of your heart for a minute and put yourself in an agent's/publisher's shoes. Who is going to buy this book? Will your non-fiction readers buy the book? Or will they take note that you've written a work of fiction and pass?

As an agent, would you be able to sell this book to a publisher?
As a publisher, would this book sell enough copies to justify an advance? If so, how much would you be prepared to offer?

Send a query to a few agents and see if their responses reflect your own expectations.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am

I know what my choice would be. For now. This isn't me asking for advice. I am trying to see which way the wind blows out there in author-land given the increasing international interest in e-books, etc. I might reconsider my tenative choice based on the responses.

So I am asking which choice your would make given the premise. Assume that your heart of hearts is right.

I cannot answer your questions about "as an agent" and "as a publisher" because I am neither.

LC told her choice but didn't say why. I am looking for that, too.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:22 am

Go to your local B&N and see which books they are pushing with their "B&N selections" and brochures and tables full.

Take a good look at the best sellers' lists.

Does your book fit in those categories?

Can you present to an agent that you have already sold 5000 or more of previous publications?

Do you have a marketing plan for national distribution?

I vote for an agent because they have connections that I don't. If your book doesn't reach the right person, it's not seen.

If you already have a nitch following, then an indie publisher may work well for you. A fan base doesn't care who publishes your book.

No matter who you get, marketing still belongs to the author, one way or another.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:28 am

Your question about whether the author's non-fiction readers would be drawn to the work of fiction could be answered either way. Depending on that audience and the nature of the works. If all your non-fiction works are about repairing cars and appliances, and your new work of fiction is a romance novel--well, you get the idea.

I have found in my dealings with publishers that the more titles an author has published, the more likely a publisher is to consider a new work. Not only for the author's experience, following, and credibility, but because by being prolific, the author demonstrates an ability to produce future works. Is not a one-hit wonder.

It's not just "what have you done for me lately," but also "what can you do for me next."
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:32 am

Is it true that an independently-published novel will not be reviewed in the national media?

If yes, is it likely that coming advances in e-book popularity will change that?
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:34 am

Is it true that Apple will not publish indie works on the iPad? That they work only with established publishers?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 9:43 am

No one has a crystal ball that I know of. Some indie publishers have better contacts than others. It is true that it is difficult to join the author's guilds and to get a review. The major reviewers receive their books from the big six publishers - that's what they review. They don't have time for the rest. However, there are many respectable small town newspaper reviewers and internet reviewers that love indie books.

Prestige may come from your publisher; but if your book sells - that's its own prestige.

The ebook revolution is changing everything - hang onto your hat; the future is here and it's confusing as always.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 am

Quote :
I would never self-publish. Waste of time.

That would be my guess.

But some people do produce books that people will choose to buy.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:20 am

They do. She did.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 10:38 am

Really? I thought she only did textbooks that people buy because they have to.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Al Stevens wrote:
LC told her choice but didn't say why. I am looking for that, too.

I posted why. It's a waste of time. I know, I know, The Celestine Prophecy and a few others ...whatever.
Back to top Go down
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:22 pm

It would help if you would explain why, in your view and given the premise, indie publishing would be a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Do you know any successful indie authors?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Actually, I do. They have been publishing books in a series for a number of years and have a fan base that waits for their next book. They have sufficient books in print, commit to workshops and conferences and earn their living writing books, published by an indie publisher. They have a major presence on the Internet, sell a lot of books from their own web site and work every promo angle.

In fact, they are quite contented with their career since many authors and writers barely eck out a living after that first big splash and need to support themselves with spouses, inheritances, retirement income and whatever source of sustenance they can supplement their meager earnings with. Yet, they write. They have the passion. They have something to say. Just because the fickle big six don't pick up an author does not mean the content of their writing isn't exceptional. Every day NPR interviews authors (including me) who write to a special market segment. No mainline publisher wants a target market author.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Quote :
They have a major presence on the Internet, sell a lot of books from their own web site and work every promo angle.

Blech. Well, whatever floats one's boat.

BTW, I'd disagree with "no mainline publisher wants a target market author." Did you mean a tiny target author?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:36 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, I don't understand that. Don't all authors target a specific market? Who did you have in mind for reading Ghost Orchid?
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:56 pm

You.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 2:58 pm

But I don't read romance or paranormal. I don't think I'm alone in having a specific slice of books that I'll read.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Quote :
Do you know any successful indie authors?

Last time she pulled that crap I mentioned Cory Doctorow. She said he only self published after he was a best seller. When I pointed out she was wong and where to check it (which Ms. Scholastic seldom does before sounding off) she went into one or usual round the mulberry bush yapathons and keep toss the name out in every thread she was in for awhile.

She doesn't want to know, and therefore doesn't Ironically, a lot of educators are like that.

Hell, one I could name is me. I've sold over 100,000 copies of a self-published book. Have at times supported myself entirely by selling it on the beach. If that's not success, what the hell is?

My friend Jeff makes six figures a year selling a self-published book. I know at least four people who make a living selling self-published books. And that's just people I know personally.

My ebook has dozens of names, with links and citations, of people who plied self-publishing via web serials, podcasts, and ebooks into contracts with major publishers and even movie deals.
This is not a big secret. And I've posted it here before.
Like I say, there is not so ignorant as one who doesn't want to learn.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:13 pm

In fact, years ago my intent was to self-publish based on the number of authors who were on the same agenda with me at national conferences, selling their self-published books by the thousands while I gave away my words - with no book to sell.

In the national and international conference circuit, self-published books were the norm (they may still be). With a built in audience of ready purchasers, why not self-publish?

My niece designed the cover for a self-published marketing guru whose podcasts and internet base are all he needs for a burgeoning career; and it looks like my niece might get a slice of it. She also produced his podcasts and cd's. I listened to the cd's - typical persistence sales stuff - but he is the proof of the pudding.

Here's my opinion: the publishing world is how you see it. If getting a major is your goal, then stick with it and go after an agent and continue 'til you drop. If getting your book out to a substantial number of readers is important, but you don't want to drop dead before its published, small presses are nice. If you can sell fuller brushes to a fuller brush salesman then publish your own book and get out there and sell it. If you're just tired of the whole mess, turn your manuscript into Createspace, Smashwords and Kindle and let someone accidentally find them on the internet or in their ereader. Hey, there's more choices than ever before and each person has to pic their poison. I really thought I'd be dead before I got an agent, or a hurricane would ruin my research. I wanted a publisher for some moral support. I'm happy with my most recent publishing experiences with a small press. Each to his own.

Oh, am I successful? Give me a definition. By my own, I am meeting the goals I set for my life; that is a good thing. That's success.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 3:23 pm

By the way, whether Ghost Orchid is a romance or paranormal is in the eyes of readers.........mostly it's a story about friends and families - searching for meaning and finding more than they anticipated. It's full of the beauty of the Everglades and as one reviewer said, "makes me want to go on a quest for the ghost orchid just to feel the beauty there."

Ghost Orchid has been classified by the publisher as mainline paranormal because it has elements of the paranormal to some readers; elsewhere, reviewers have classified it as mainstream and literature/fiction.

Romance genre has a specific format. Ghost Orchid is definitely not classified as romance genre. However, it does have elements of romance as do most of my fiction stories. Romance is so much a part of our very existence.

Some B&N stores classify it as "regional" because it talks specifically about an orchid that only blooms in the Everglades and Cuba; yet, its themes are universal. This is merely a gimmick to support regional sales.

I won a book, a simple little love story definitely romance genre. I do not read those perky little books with their too graphic sexual imagery (for my taste). However, it was well written, realistic and had a surprise ending that made finishing the book feel satisfying. I can see where readers of romance would thoroughly enjoy this book, though I prefer a deeper message in my reading. It was light reading -
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Quote :
Hell, one I could name is me. I've sold over 100,000 copies of a self-published book. Have at times supported myself entirely by selling it on the beach. If that's not success, what the hell is?

My friend Jeff makes six figures a year selling a self-published book. I know at least four people who make a living selling self-published books. And that's just people I know personally.

Well, there's a font of fabulous substantiated claims. lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Indie or trad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indie or trad?   Indie or trad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Indie or trad?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next