Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

What kind of files do you have?

Go down 
+3
alj
Shelagh
LC
7 posters
AuthorMessage
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

What kind of files do you have? Empty
PostSubject: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 am

What kind of file system do you have for your WIP? Do you keep labeled hanging folders in which you put relevant newspaper articles and other papers? Are all your files digital? How are the files organized, by chapter?

What works best for you?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

My research files are all together in a folder. I print out pages from the net and put them in the same folder as the handwritten material that I collect from libraries and reference books.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 12:42 pm

I have a couple of file drawers on family history, the CW in the three adjacent counties in Missouri where my family lived, as well as material on the CW in Missouri generally, and on the situation in western Missouri and Kansas from 1854. That covers the immediate time period. I also have background material on the history of Tennessee and the family there, the probable route taken from Virginia to Tennessee, fashions of the time and cultures, even how to mount a horse sidesaddle without losing ones modesty.

I have character sketches on every character that include all facts I can find about each as well as the fictional personalities, dreams, and attitudes of each one.

I also keep copies of the character sketches on a journal writing program called Life Journal for Writers, which includes a timeline for keeping track of the family history. That's for the book, Ailcy's Legacy. For And Adam was a Gardener, I'm using a free software program called Y-Writer, which I learned about right here shortly after I joined this illustrious group. Y-Writer helps me keep track of character sketches, settings, synopses, and other elements as well as providing a chapter by chapter outline. Since Adam is pure fiction, my background files are smaller. 2/3ds of that story take place in the area of NW Houston I lived in for almost a quarter of a century (except for a few scenes in the South American rain forest. For that I have websites and videos to help with visualization, geography, and history. For the other 1/3 of Adam, which takes place on a different planet, I get advice from my astrophysicist son. I also have lots of Word files and bookmarked webpages on various bits of info that I need to refer to in order to keep everything plausible for both stories.

I really recommend the Y-Writer program. It has been a big help keeping a complex story and all the structures in place.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyTue Jun 01, 2010 1:06 pm

All digital. I use the operating system's file system to organize the chapters, one folder to a chapter. In a folder are multiple Word .doc files, one file to a scene. The filenames are the scene numbers, for example chapter03/05.doc would be scene 5 in chapter 3. If I insert a scene between two existing scenes, I name the file, for example, 05a.doc.

The spreadsheet that identifies all the files includes a one-liner text entry that says what happens in the scene.

This is about the only way I apply any kind of order or organization to my work. Without it, I'd have unmanageable chaos.

Eventually, I'll pull it all together based on what format the publishing method requires.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyWed Jun 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Do you print out any of these documents are do you read them on the screen?
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Al Stevens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Al Stevens

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 6:01 am

I don't print anything related to writing except snail mail when email won't do. I would print chapters if someone needed something on paper, but that hasn't happened in a long time.
Back to top Go down
http://alstevens.blogspot.com
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 5:29 pm

I have files of stories that I have written that are not finished. I blurt them out onto paper and put them in the file to polish up one day when I have the time to do it. None of my work is so complicated. I write from my imagination and my observations. Not that that is good, but if it is stored, it is in my brain from day to day. Little nuances of critters and creatures that make life complete and includes me as one with all the rest of life on this planet.

I wish that I could write the great story that I feel in my heart.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 6:57 pm

My files are a mess. I have them saved on 15 different flash drives, two computers and several boxes. I should fire myself or get a secretary. Oops, I was trained as a secretary at one time; it's a sort of rebellion I guess. Super organized in the day job workplace and a disaster at home.

I lose track of which versions - just endless ....
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm having a hard time organizing my files because I'm not used to writing fiction. With my nonfic books, I did an outline, then made hanging file and electronic folders into which I put relevant material. Easy.

Since I haven't figured out the novel's outline yet, I don't know where to put all the material. So my files are a mess, too.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? EmptyWed Jun 09, 2010 6:14 pm

My files were upstairs in my desk, downstairs in a file cabinet, in a closet, and in the basement. I went through all the files: published works, unpublished works, notes from nonfiction works, etc.

Now all files, except a few I can't find, are in my new office on the main floor. Genealogy files for family history books are in one drawer. Photos are in small plastic drawers in my closet with one drawer for each category.

I am so happy to have an office. However today my husband was on the phone when I opened the top drawer of my desk which fell into my lap.

Now, I'm anxious to get writing.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of files do you have?   What kind of files do you have? Empty

Back to top Go down

What kind of files do you have?
Page 1 of 1