Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Marketing and promoting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Marketing and promoting Empty
PostSubject: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptyThu May 06, 2010 12:40 pm

... it's up to you:

Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptyFri May 07, 2010 7:42 am

Interesting video. Although I'm not sure he's saying anything we don't already know: promotion helps sell a product. Notice that he said that with self-publishing you have to do it all yourself, so he does separate that from promotion with publisher backing. The former seems a futile exercise, the latter makes sense.

About the comment that writers are generally introverts instead of extroverts. That's certainly true for me, and probably why I don't like promoting my own stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptyFri May 07, 2010 10:11 am

All three sides of the book publishing desk:

Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptyFri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Another guy telling us we have to promote our work -and what a coincidence, he's got a bunch of books to sell us telling us how.

Next.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptyFri May 07, 2010 2:23 pm

You're catching on! When the books stop selling, you write a book telling would-be authors how to write and promote their own books.

Try googling "writer" and see how many pages you pull up. Then google "author." LOL!
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptySat May 08, 2010 7:04 am

Snake oil salesmen like Poynter always start out with how they've sold to New York, then segue to their self-publishing efforts and the importance of marketing them. Thus implying that a self-published person has to market just like a New York-published person, so buy their stuff and learn how. The dishonesty here is that the New York and self published have little in common, so what works for the first will not work in the same way for the second.

When Poynter can point to his stacks of self-published books in stores as the result of his marketing, without benefit of the New York ones being there first, his schtick will make sense. What really drives his success is that there are so many people out there without critical thinking skills, who don't understand his false segues. Smart people have always been able to manipulate stupid people.
Back to top Go down
fleamailman
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
fleamailman

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting EmptySun May 09, 2010 10:06 am

"...not for me..." went the goblin, adding "...besides, it's as good as published when one hits the "post" button here, so let others conquer that bookworld now, me, I'll take on forumland and devil take the hindmost...", as somehow the goblin was thinking of dr johnson now, someone who in his day was known as a "man of letters", saying "...well fair enough, let's settle for "goblin of posts" here, besides how many other goblins am I up against..."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marketing and promoting   Marketing and promoting Empty

Back to top Go down

Marketing and promoting
Page 1 of 1