Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here

Go down 
+18
thehairymob
Dick Stodghill
KellyKomm
Ken K. Chartrand
zadaconnaway
A Ahad
rainbow689
P. Gordon Kennedy
Don Stephens
Malcolm
JoElle
E. Don Harpe
lin
Sue
Pam
Karina Kantas
Abe F. March
Shelagh
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Don, the word count is negotiable. What I really want to see is fifty people signing up.

The list so far is:

1. Shelagh
2. Pam
3. Abe
4. Karina
5. Sue
6. JoElle
7. Malcolm
8. D.J. (Don) Stephens

We only need 42 more! There is no deadline for sending stories but we could aim for by the end of August, so get writing!

The theme is: Friendship.

I've added another title:

Writers' Woven Words
World Wide Writers
Writers on the Block
Worldwide Web Writers
Word Wide Writers
Word Wise Writers
A Volume of Friends
Tales of Forum Friends
For Whom Friends Write
Friendship Ring

Last edited by Shelagh on Mon May 19, 2008 4:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 1:58 pm

I would be glad to submit a poem, but my short stories are all too long.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 2:08 pm

Thanks Don! I've added your name to the list.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 4:23 pm

E. Don Harpe wrote:
"Your Amazon Shorts anthology will be a hard sell and you will be lucky to sell 200 copies."

Shelagh, I'm just not sure what you're basing this on. The Amazon Shorts stories are capped at 10,000 words, and they will actually let you get by with more words if you need them. Readers will read a 5,000 or 10,000 word story if the story is worth reading at all. I would think the quality of the story, rather than the 2,000 word count, would me what you should strive for. I have somewhat over 40 shorts placed in various places, and most of them are over 5,000 words and so far I've been pretty successful with them. I usually have one or more in the top 100 stories in the Amazon Shorts program, and get a royalty check on a regular basis. 2,000 words is to me entirely too short.

Good luck with your anthology, but I just don't think you have any basis at all for your assumptions on what readers will or won't read, or whether or not a book of shorts with stories around 5,000 words will sell.

And I agree with Elf. If I were she I wouldn't cut my story in half either.

Actually, I think 10,000 words could be classified as a novelette.
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] uses the following classifications:
7,499 or words or less = short story
7,500-17,499 words = novelette
17,500-39,999 words = novella
40,000 or more words = novel
There are many differnt ways of catagorizing stories by length, but I usually use the SFWA classifications to catagorize my works.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 4:31 pm

I've got two poems I'd be willing to submit. I've already posted them under the poetry section of the forum (I'm not sure if you want already posted poems). The poems are entitled "Three Feet Beyond" and "Beyond Eternity" they're both relatively short (far less than 2,000 words when combined). Check them out under the poetry section and please let me know if you'd like to include them.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

"Actually, I think 10,000 words could be classified as a novelette."

Actually, it depends on who is making the classification. Here's what I found after a google search.

A novelette (or novelet) is a piece of short prose fiction. The distinction between a novelette and other literary forms, like a novella, is usually based upon word count. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Nebula awards for science fiction define the novelette as having a word count between 7,500 and 17,500 in length.

"A novella is a written, fictional, prose narrative longer than a novelette but shorter than a novel. While there is some disagreement of what length defines a novella, the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Nebula Awards for science fiction define the novella as having a word count between 17,500 and 40,000."

"Determining what exactly separates a short story from longer fictional formats is problematic. A classic definition of a short story is that one should be able to be read it in one sitting, a point most notably made in Edgar Allan Poe's essay "The Philosophy of Composition" (1846). Other definitions place the maximum word length at 7,500 words. In contemporary usage, the term short story most often refers to a work of fiction no longer than 20,000 words and no shorter than 1,000."

Personally, I don't know which is right, I just know that I don't like to be restricted to 2,000 or less words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:00 pm

It's easy to write a poem with far fewer than 2,000 words, but it's not easy to write a story shorter than this. The shortest story I currently have in the inventory of stories I've written is about 3,600 words in length; this story is currently unpublished. As for short stories, I've heard the definition that one should be able to read them in one sitting. I think 20,000 words is probably a bit long for one sitting for the average person (unless you're a speed reader). I think the cap of 7,500 words makes more sense than 20,000 words on those grounds. I think 20,000 words falls into the catagory of being longer than a short story but shorter than a novel.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:45 pm

Personally, I don't know which is right, I just know that I don't like to be restricted to 2,000 or less words.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:13 pm

That's when I get warmed up.

I'm a literary motormouth and proud to blather on indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Shelagh you're a real gem, if it's going ahead I'd like to contribute:thanks:Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 545232Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 499995
Back to top Go down
http://fly.to/rainbow689
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

lin wrote:
Amen, sister

and Ahhhhh Women too Shelagh!Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 973110
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyMon May 19, 2008 11:09 pm

In de vintertime in der valley green
ven de vind blows on der vinderscreen
Ven de vimmenfolk from der vaudeville
ride velocipedes on the der vindowsill....

Aaaaaaamen

Aaaaaaaaah vimmen
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 12:30 am

P. Gordon Kennedy wrote:
I've got two poems I'd be willing to submit. I've already posted them under the poetry section of the forum (I'm not sure if you want already posted poems). The poems are entitled "Three Feet Beyond" and "Beyond Eternity" they're both relatively short (far less than 2,000 words when combined). Check them out under the poetry section and please let me know if you'd like to include them.
Could you write a friendship poem? Or a short story about friendship? I'll add you to the list and you can decide what you are going to submit.

Rick, you're on the list.

About the word count. I'm willing to double the word count to 4,000 words. There is no restriction on words for poems, just not more than 24 lines -- so that each poem can have a single page with title, by-line and brief bio.

See this page for an example:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:07 am

lin wrote:
In de vintertime in der valley green
ven de vind blows on der vinderscreen
Ven de vimmenfolk from der vaudeville
ride velocipedes on the der vindowsill....

Aaaaaaamen

Aaaaaaaaah vimmen

Wunderbar mi amiga cooo I'm multilingual:lol!:
Back to top Go down
rainbow689
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
rainbow689

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:11 am

Cool thanks, where and when do we submit, our words that is, not
personally? Personally I don't mind if it never makes a brass farthing
(ColonialSpeak: red cent) It would be great to be included in such
illustrious company

afroPublished Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 846271Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 78793Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 545232Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 354181
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:58 am

Hi Shelagh,
I don't feel brave enough to ask... but do you think my piece on the Sombrero Night:

Could it be classed as a "short story" (1,870 words) and, more to the point, would it be suitable for this anthology? Love to have your honest opinion.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:41 am

I think you could adapt the story for inclusion. The theme of the anthology is Friendship. I would recommend leaving out the astronomy (although you could link it in some way to white rabbits) and continue the story of how the tabby cat befriended the rabbits by frightening off a fox that was prowling around. You could also bring the black cat into the story some way.

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:44 am

rainbow689 wrote:

Cool thanks, where and when do we submit, our words that is, not
personally? Personally I don't mind if it never makes a brass farthing
(ColonialSpeak: red cent) It would be great to be included in such
illustrious company
I'll ask for submissions as soon as it becomes clear that we will have enough contributors to give the anthology a chance to make reasonable sales.
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:21 am

Hi Shelagh,
I think it's too far out of the "friendship" theme to be worth including, so I'll leave it out.

Thanks for your advice all the same.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:42 am

Shelagh, I would love to be included. Any exposure is good, and keeps our names out there, I think. I will work on a couple of ideas I have and see if you wind up with a story or poem from me. How much time do we have?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:48 am

Approximately three months, but that could be extended nearer the time.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Shelagh wrote:
P. Gordon Kennedy wrote:
Could you write a friendship poem? Or a short story about friendship? I'll add you to the list and you can decide what you are going to submit.

About the word count. I'm willing to double the word count to 4,000 words. There is no restriction on words for poems, just not more than 24 lines -- so that each poem can have a single page with title, by-line and brief bio.

See this page for an example:

Currently, I don't have any poems on the subject of friendship, but I'll try and see if I can come up with something. If I come up with something good, I'll post it under the poetry section. How much time do we have?
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Shelagh wrote:
Approximately three months, but that could be extended nearer the time.

Oh, I guess my question about the time is already answered. Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 78793
Back to top Go down
Ken K. Chartrand

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Friendshipping!

What is is it to be a friend?
To be there for that certain buddy
especially when needed.
That is a friend.
To be there to the end.
though the way be hard and muddy.
One thing to be heeded...
do not feint your friendship.
Just be clear from the start
that what you do do, is done from the heart.
This is what it takes.
Perseverance and trust-
Dooms day or bust.
You're there for each other's sakes
Not just for the hotdogs and steaks.
Yes , you are on the helm sometimes
but circumstances will tell you what ship you're on
a Friendship!
By Ken K. Chartrand
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/kendoo
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks Ken! I'll add your name to the list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here   Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Published Authors Anthology -- sign up here
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next