Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The reasons POD books less likely to succeed

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10712
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 8:25 am

Success can be defined in a number of ways. My definition is simple:
If you are accomplishing what you set out to accomplish, you are successful.
One should not set their standard based on someone else's success/standard. That is similar to the word rich. In some countries, having a thousand dollars would make them rich. In some circles it may be ten thousand while in others a hundred thousand. Then one gets into another league where how many million meets a criteria. But the latest is how many billion.
Getting a college education may have been the greatest achievement of ones life. They have succeeded.
Writing a book and getting it published to some is an achievement they dreamed of. They are successful.
Success comes in varying degrees which brings me back to my original statement. If you are achieving the goals you set for yourself, you are successful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12618
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:57 am

“Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed”
Emily Dickinson

Success is like money, it's more important to those who don't have it than those who do.

Brenda wants to succeed, so does Jenny and so do many more authors who have yet to sign a contract with a traditional publisher.

Conversely, I never set out to write in order to become a success. My novels were written for readers to enjoy. If someone buys one of my books and is disappointed, then I am equally disappointed. In fact, selling thousands of books that were well marketed to readers who didn't enjoy reading the books would be a sign of failure to me, not success.

POD publishing is a fantastic way to see a book in print and brings a tremendous sense of achievement but it would be wrong to mislead anyone to believe that this will provide a decent living wage.

If authors want to make money out of POD books, they must keep marketing and promotion costs to a minimum. Without marketing and promoting, books will not sell in the thousands. That's the catch 22.

The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Success can be defined in a number of ways. My definition is simple:
If you are accomplishing what you set out to accomplish, you are successful.
One should not set their standard based on someone else's success/standard. That is similar to the word rich. In some countries, having a thousand dollars would make them rich. In some circles it may be ten thousand while in others a hundred thousand. Then one gets into another league where how many million meets a criteria. But the latest is how many billion.
Getting a college education may have been the greatest achievement of ones life. They have succeeded.
Writing a book and getting it published to some is an achievement they dreamed of. They are successful.
Success comes in varying degrees which brings me back to my original statement. If you are achieving the goals you set for yourself, you are successful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I agree with your definition of success. If one achieves what they set out to achieve, they have succeeded. Success is relative; what might seem unimportant to one person might be very important to another. When I began writing Of Orbs and Lords back in the fall of 2006, I set out to write and publish a book, and I've done that, so to that extent I think I've succeeded. Smile
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 7:24 pm

I like Abe's definition of success too, and therein lies the answer to the question. Each of us define success on our own terms, so there are many different versions of it. I can also relate to Don's notion of magic. What does make one person stand out among others who are equally brilliant, talented or well marketed? Once we figure that out then we will have a way to get our books really into the hands - and hearts - of many.

I think that is what success looks like for me. Not just people reading what I have read, because that is a solitary journey. But to have them talk about it and share it because it touched them in some small or big way. Yup. That'd be pretty darned cool. The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 986243
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 8:12 pm

"What does make one person stand out among others who are equally brilliant, talented or well marketed?"

Figure this one out, Pam, and you'll be a gazillionaire by the end of May. Won't take you long to make more money than anyone in the history of the entertainment business has ever made.

And if you do figure it out, let the rest of us know, so we can get in on the action.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Don I think that's probably the magic part...but I will certainly let you know how it all comes together! Wink
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2008 9:43 pm

E. Don Harpe wrote:
"What does make one person stand out among others who are equally brilliant, talented or well marketed?"

Figure this one out, Pam, and you'll be a gazillionaire by the end of May. Won't take you long to make more money than anyone in the history of the entertainment business has ever made.

And if you do figure it out, let the rest of us know, so we can get in on the action.

Well, to put it in the simpleast possible terms, what makes one stand out among others who are of equal intelect, tallent, ability, ect. is pure luck (and sometimes a bit of determination). Wink
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 6:25 am

I do not beleive in pure luck, but I do beleive in sweat equity. Here are some thoughts on luck that make sense to me:

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity (Seneca)

I am a great beleiver in luck and I find the harder I work the more I have of it (Thomas Jefferson)

If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it. (Unknown)

Now let's go -- and create some of that magic and luck! The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 402987
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 7:30 am

"Distribution is a critical piece of the publishing puzzle, yet most new publishers seem to think it will magically open up to them once they publish a book. The only thing that will magically open up is the publisher's wallet. "

This quote was taken from foner books website:

http://www.fonerbooks.com/distribu.htm

The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 9:21 am

It may not be luck, but as I've pointed out there is an undefinable "something" that cuts one author or one singer or one whatever from the herd and makes them a superstar.

We can all agree that we need at least a bit of talent. Then we need to work at the craft of writing until we are at least as good as our competition. Then we have to have a good idea for out book, and we have to finish it, polish it, and hope an agent or a publisher accepts it. For most of us that will never happen, and while we don't have to stop trying, we should be aware of the facts of the publishing world. And then, if the book is published, and if there is a really good promotion for it, and if there is good distribution, and if we work as hard and as smart as we can, we may sell enough copies to actually earn some money from our writing.

But then comes along someone such as Ms. Rowling. The Harry Potter books are not the best literature ever written. The promotion campaign was good, but not any better than some of the others that were out there. And yet, she and her books leaped into the stratosphere, earning more money, quicker, I think (I may be wrong, because I haven't checked on this) than anyone has ever done. Call it luck, call it fate, call it what you will, but the fact is that now and then, in almost every field, someone will attain this status.

I think that a truly dedicated writer, if he or she has the talent and determination, has a chance, not a good one, but at least a chance, of seeing their book published by a major publisher. I also know that at some point in time someone else will reach the heights that Rowling has reached. It could be me, it could be anyone of you, but there is absolutely no way of knowing if it will be one of us, or when it will happen, and, most especially, why it happened to us if it does.

Luck? Fate? I don't know. What I do know that it can't be attained by any methods that we can define.

If we could, as I wrote to Pam, we would be gazillionaires in a month.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 10:06 am

I don't want to smash anyone's dreams but becoming the next J.K. Rowling is unrealistic. If you think it's fate or luck or whatever, that's fine. I don't think it was. It might have been timing: being in the right place at the right time.

The ingredients for success were there: agent, publisher, books in libraries, grant from the Scottish Arts council. All of these things came together and for another author to have the same success the author would first need to find an agent, who would secure a deal with a publisher, and books from the first print run would have to be sold to libraries. You can't say it could happen to someone else under different circumstances. It wouldn't. It just wouldn't.

I haven't even mentioned the fact that Rowling had outlined a series of seven books!

This is what happens when a POD published author spends money trying to get books into libraries:

"Here's the quick run down on advertising we've paid for. A cooperative mailing to the 3,000 public libraries in the US with the largest budgets sold three books, two months after the mailing went out. This was a pretty classy mailing, nice envelope, nice stamp, only two other publisher fliers included with ours. The books advertised have both had some success in libraries, were well reviewed, and offered at a 30% discount. People who do a lot of mailings will tell you that repeated exposure is critical, that content must be tuned, that it's been a tough year for libraries. All of these things may be true, but at $600 to participate in the mailing and another $150 for the fliers, we have better uses for our marketing dollars. "

http://www.fonerbooks.com/market.htm

J. K. Rowling was not an overnight success but everything was in place to give her a chance. She had the winning numbers:

1. An agent
2. A publisher
3. 300 books in libraries
4. Grant for £8000 from the Scottish Arts Council
5. Seven books outlined
6. A series of books with great appeal

You can't win the lottery without all six numbers. Luck may play a part in the national lottery but when it comes to books, it takes more than luck.

Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 am

"You can't win the lottery without all six numbers. Luck may play a part in the national lottery but when it comes to books, it takes more than luck."

The thing is Shelagh, that a lot of people have all six of the numbers. Maybe not the Scottish Arts grant, but grants from elsewhere, and only Rowling hit the lottery with those numbers.

If it were that easy, everyone who had an agent, a publisher, 300 books in libraries, a grant, seven books outlined and a series with great appeal would be now be as successful as Ms Rowlng.

Sorry, but you can have all that and it may help you be successful, but those things alone won't make you and your books as successful as she has become. It takes more, and it is that extra that some find and most don't that I have been talking about.

You've outlined a procedure that may indeed allow one to sell some books, but you haven't hit on the formula that will allow everyone to reach the level that Rowlings has reached.
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 10:49 am

Taking it a bit farther.

Stephen King. Norah Roberts. John Grisham. Michael Crichton. Tom Clancy. Dean Koonce.

Famous authors, one and all. And the list could go on. All of them highly successful, all great storytellers, all with major publishing deals, super distribution and promotion packages, and all very wealthy due to their writing. All sell large numbers of each new book, and all are considered to be at the very top of the writing food chain. All have pretty much all of the lottery numbers that Shelagh has outlined for us.

They all have agents, they all have major publishers, they all have well over 300 books in libraries, they have enough money to offset any grant funding that Rowlings received, they all have many books outlined, and they all write with a great amount of appeal.

But, did you know that according to the 2006 Guinness Book of World Records, J. K. Rowling is the wealthiest author in the world, with a personal net worth of $1 Billion. Apparently, from June 2003 to June 2004 she earned an estimated $147 million, which was the “highest annual earnings by a children’s author.”

Harry Potter. Hmmm. Not the most original idea in the world. Very well done, although probably not the best crafted or best written literature one can find on the market. And yet, these books have become among the most popular and most successful books ever written.

I post this here to illustrate what I have been talking about. There is some indefinable something that now and then touches someone, and they become an Elvis, or the Beatles, or J.K. Rowling. It is this something and this success that’s puts lie to all of the fables about working hard, polishing, polishing, never giving up, and not drifting from the well worn path so many other authors have used. All of the above things are great to have, but there is no way that anyone can forecast who will become the next superstar.

Do I think we should all strive to be the best we can become? Of course. Do I think we should seek a major agent and a major publisher? Of course. Do I know what course one might take to be the next Rowling? Of course not. And neither does anyone else. Some of us will find these major deals and some will continue to go the self publishing or POD route. At some point in time the next Rowling will leap out of nowhere and be the sensation that everyone wishes to be. But the facts remain that the vast majority of new authors will never see their books published by a major publisher. That is a fact of the publishing business. I think we have to keep working, each in the way we have chosen, and hope that one day we will be one of the chosen ones.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 12:53 pm

J.K Rowling is to the book world what Bill Gates is to the computer world. How lucky is Bill Gates? I've read heaps about him and know that he was one of many bright young computer nerds who used to burn the midnight oil and sleep next to their computers. How come they didn't all end up as rich as Bill Gates? Did they have fathers who were lawyers? Did they drop out of school after studying law for a couple of years? Did they have any business acumen? What were the factors that made Bill Gates so different from all the other computer geeks?

J. K. Rowling started out the same as all aspiring writers and when her books became successful, she surrounded herself with people who knew how to make money.

Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Also, unlike Gates, she didn't rip anybody else off for her big step up, then ruthlessly force competitors our of business and cut monopolistic deals to force people to use his products even if they did like them.

So she's got that going for her.

Also unlike Gates, she is not actually a spawn of Satan.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 1:02 pm

I think another fator in Rowling's success had much to do with her target customers and the characters they could identify with. And just as I did, parents read what their kids were asking for - and loved Harry Potter as well!

Then came the free publicity when the fundie Christians raised their outcry. That was better than the "Banned in Boston" hype.

The rest had a lot to do with the desire to own ALL the books in a series.
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 1:05 pm

I just asked my husband, "Bill Gates is a billionnaire. Why aren't you?"

"I didn't drop out of school," he replied, "that's where I went wrong."

Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 2:17 pm

You may want to go back and look at what Steve Jobs said of Gates when they split away from each other.

However, with that said, the mention of Gates only reinforces what I have said here. Why indeed aren't all computer geeks as rich as Bill? For that matter, Steve Jobs, who is plenty rich by the way, but not in the same class as Bill, was the smarter of the two, and the better with computers. So what caused Bill to get singled out, from all of the thousands who were working on software development and design at that time, to become one of the worlds richest men?

It is not how hard you work or how smart you are, or who you surround yourself with, but all of those things probably factor in. There is something that picks out some people to be the superstars, and leaves everyone else wondering how it happened.
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 3:18 pm

lin wrote:
Also, unlike Gates, she didn't rip anybody else off for her big step up, then ruthlessly force competitors our of business and cut monopolistic deals to force people to use his products even if they did like them.

So she's got that going for her.

Also unlike Gates, she is not actually a spawn of Satan.

That sounds a little bitter Lin, even from you...it is tough to deny that Gates has also done a lot of good. Look at the legacy he and his wife are leaving through the foundation they established, as an example. http://www.gatesfoundation.org/default.htm

No point getting in over our heads making sweeping generalizations. bounce
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm

The point of the thread is that although J.K. Rowling started off with the rejection slips that most new authors have to face, she did eventually get onto the bottom rung of the ladder and climbed to the very top. POD published authors are not even on the ladder and until they find an agent/traditional publisher, that's where they will stay. Grounded.

Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 6:01 pm

"POD published authors are not even on the ladder and until they find an agent/traditional publisher, that's where they will stay. Grounded."

May I respectfully disagree? I don't see eventual success as having anything to do with whether or not a book is POD. Many self published authors have gone on to great success, and a few years from now it will be common place for most books to come from the ranks of POD publishers, simply because more and more publishers will be moving in that direction. I think the days of agent/traditional publisher are winding down, and that the entire industry will be reinvented along the POD model. There will be less money paid on advances, less publishers willing to accept returns, and less books printed up front. Warehousing printed books may never entirely go away, but it will dwindle until it is a mere shadow of what it has been. It is becoming too expensive for bookstores and publishers to continue in the same old way, and right now POD seems to be the only workable alternative. There may come a day when printing machines will be installed in stores in which a customer can call up the book he wants and it will be printed on the spot, and the sound of that machine will be the death knoll of traditional publishing as we now know it. The machines are already in some places, and as they become less expensive to own and operate, they will become more wide spread, and there might come a day when there will only be a handful of printed books at a store, and those will be there only to show what the machine can do and what choices are available. If this technology evolves as quickly as computers have done, the day will be here almost before we know it.

Agents, other than for famous people, will also be a thing of the past, because no one will need them anymore. And don't look now, but there's a good chance that even POD will evolve into something entirely different, and in a few years nobody will even remember how it used to be done. Those that do will recall the "good old days" much as we elder citizens do now with everything from health insurance to the price of gasoline.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I think you're right, Don, and those printing machines in the bookstores just may be franchise operations from publishers. I want the rights to the name McBook. There may even be a college called Print-U

In just about four years I will own the rights to Keechie again.

Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Although POD books are currently less likely to succeed, that doesn't mean they can never succeed. In fact, POD publishing has some advantages over traditional publishing. In POD publishing books are printed when they are ordered, so there is no inventory to store, and thus no need for warehouse storage. Also, it is relatively inexpensive to keep a POD book in print indefinately. I also think that in the future POD will gain a much larger share of the book market. As more and more authors and publishers chose POD in the future, POD will become more respectible. In the future of the book industry, POD will have a major role to play wether we like it or not.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 9:33 am

E. Don Harpe wrote:
Thanks, Donald James, but there are a lot of people who judge everything by how many dollars it generates. I am not against making a lot of money with my writing, but at the same time, I truly feel there has to be more to success than money.

I like this comment a lot and think that we can apply it to everyone, writer and non-writer alike. Most of us will never know how we impact others because our thoughts and actions spread out like ripples on a pond.

My questions about the viability of the POD approach for fiction, as the marketplace now stands, focus on one's career more than one's impact. While I'm certainly happy whenever one person says, "Malcolm I really enjoyed your book or your post or your article," that is not really why I'm writing. To me, being happy with that would be like being an insurance agent who only sells one policy to one person or a real estate broker who sells one house to one family.

So, I must disagree to some extent with the idea that we can call a writer a success if only a few people read his or her book, while saying that people in other careers who have few sales are not successes.

I didn't become a writer to turn into a J. K. Rowling or to have an entry card into a McMansion or a celebrity lifestyle. While it would be nice to be among the relatively few fiction writers who can live off their earnings, I know that's difficult.

While traditional publishing is certainly no guarantee of a "reasonable" sales record, POD fiction authors don't have a level playing field. I hear a lot about promotion being the author's duty, but at the end of the day most POD authors don't sell 1000, 2000 or 5000 copies of their POD novels no matter what they do, and I think it's misleading to newcomers for promotional experts (not all of them, for goodness' sake) to imply in an accusatory way that if your book isn't selling it's because you're being slack and dull with your marketing approach.

In mainstream publishing, 5,000 in sales for a novel by an new and unknown author is considered good. As a challenge, can anyone list POD writers (who aren't already well known for some other reason) who have sold this many copies of the POD version of a novel. I hope somebody can, because those are the people I want to be going to for promotional advice!

As a POD author, I want this method to work for FICTION as a career, not just a noble hobby.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 3:04 pm

I think Don and Malcolm have summed up the POD industry. Yes, it is the future and probably the end of millions of sales of a single title (millions of sales will come from thousands of books). Amazon want in on this and are setting up their stall to get the most out of POD publishing by cutting out the middleman.

Don would like to see a chart of sales for traditionally published authors -- something that would be both interesting and informative. Over the next few years the non-bestselling authors will sell fewer books and the top POD selling authors will sell more books. Within a decade maybe less, it is likely that more than 50% of books will be POD -- but that's only a guess.

Either way, authors of fiction had better not plan on giving up the day job.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The reasons POD books less likely to succeed   The reasons POD books less likely to succeed - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The reasons POD books less likely to succeed
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: POD Books-
Jump to: