Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dtpollard
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
dtpollard

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 7:39 pm

I don't think an agent or publisher that thinks a book will sell really cares if it is self-published or not. I have met self-published authors that have had their self-published books picked up with substantial advances involved, an agent can get paid the same way as a new manuscript sale. Iuniverse authors have been signed to six figure deals with their current books. There is no set rule anymore as to how things will pan out. Given that, it makes no sense to try to hide part of your activity in the business, it's too easy to discover.
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 7:47 pm

Quote :
Given that, it makes no sense to try to hide part of your activity in the business, it's too easy to discover.

You're right about that, DT, and it's our own fault for trying to
market during those first couple of years after the book was published.
I remember well the pride I felt when anyone could Google either my
name or my book title and the entire first page of hits were MINE! LOL
- try removing that from the search engines... LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 7:13 am

Agent? who needs an agent...baaaa. I'm going to bury my writing in the high desert. When it's found in 10,000 years, I'll make the best seller list. Still working out how I'm going to collect?
Back to top Go down
Duncan Pile
Two Star Member
Two Star Member
Duncan Pile

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 am

I'm working on the theory that it's ok to self-publish as a stepping stone to traditional publishing as long as you follow that up with a track record. If a self-published author can approach a new agent/publisher and demonstrate that on their own they've managed to achieve a couple of thousand sales, that should give the agent/publisher confidence that you are a sound investment. Shouldn't that actually give you an advantage over the unknown quantity of an unpublished submission? I hope this is sensible anyway, as all my eggs are in that basket.

I self-published Nature Mage in September of last year, but due to production issues it wasn't selling till January. Since then I've done 9 Waterstones signing and a couple of school visits, and have loads of quotes from teenagers saying how much they love the book. I don't know exact numbers but sold around 600 in the first half of the year and now have consistent kindle sales in the states - not high numbers but they just keep selling virally through Amazon. I'm hoping that if this carries on, and 600 moves up to a couple of thousand, that I might stand a chance.

Having said that, I received two agent rejections this week and got a couple of stinking reviews on Amazon which water down the good ones. It's tough having your work out there. It's like someone stomps on your heart every time you get rejected. If I peer intently at my skin I think I can actually see it thickening!

Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 6:47 am

Someone I read somewhere said to check out the reviews for best-sellers - many are not five-star. We just tend to zero in on the negative ones. Some people are negative. At least a review usually means the book was read.

My opinion is that the most important sales technique is a celebrity endorsement. If the book has some quality and a named celebrity talks about it, your sales momentum is set.

Many people I know who have agents - were placed with small presses that they could have approached without an agent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
tensejim
One Star Member
One Star Member
tensejim

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2012-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 pm

I am still new to all of this so I really cant say what is and what isn't the case. But it would seem that some agents would see self published authors in a positive light as we understand more about what the agent and publisher has to go through creating a broader understanding and patience on our part.
Back to top Go down
http://giftedbook.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?   Do Agents frown on Self-published authors? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Do Agents frown on Self-published authors?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Authors and Books :: Agents-
Jump to: