Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Necessary precautions when writing a book?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tryptamine

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Necessary precautions when writing a book? Empty
PostSubject: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 am

Hi,

Well this is my first post (I tried searching for this topic but turned nothing, I hope there hasn't been a topic like this). For several years I've teased myself about writing a book, I've procrastinated and rationalized my procrastination. Then I found these forums where I could ask my questions that made me so uneasy about writing a book.

First, I'd like to ask is there some companies who will edit your work only? I've read in these forums writing slow and perfecting your book is ideal when looking for an agent/publisher. If I write this book what I'd like to know is there a company or a person that would edit my work so that I have the safety net of knowing it's correct and ready?

Second, this will have no right answer; although, I'd like to gather opinion on where books (with pages) are going, with Amazon's Kindle. Is it going to bottom out the community like it has done in newspapers?
Thanks in advance, and I'd just like to express my gratitude for having an avenue like this for support!
Back to top Go down
Tryptamine

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 10:57 am

**edit I don't mean that kindle weakened newspaper so much as the internet and it's wide range easy accessable data.
Back to top Go down
Just me

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 11:27 am

Spend a year or so, and learn to edit your own work. If your spelling and/or grammar are weak...home school yourself.

Domenic
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 11:56 am

Tryptamine, there are thousands of people who will take your money for editing your work, they advertise all over the place.

I personally am not a fan of this. The conflict between that person's need to make money and your best interests is too great. He or she might just be polishing a turd -brightening up spelling and grammar when the underlying structural issues are the problem. I also feel that if you need someone to edit your work (whatever that means) to make it good enough to send off, it probably isn't very strong in the first place.

Finally, if you did send it off and someone accepted it, what would you do when presented with the need for further work and edits? Pay that person again?

I agree with Domenic, work on your writing yourself. What you mean by "edit" may really be "rewrite." I re-write my own stuff a dozen times before I actually "edit" it.
Back to top Go down
Just me

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:27 pm

LC just gave you a million dollars worth of advice. Learn to do it yourself.
It's easy to write a book. It takes talent, and know how to re-write.

You should ask yourself, "Am I willing to spend whatever time it takes to become a writer?"

Post some of your work...lets see what you have.

Domenic
Back to top Go down
Tryptamine

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for the useful advice. I am of course taking college writing classes I just figured a second opinion never hurt. I will begin to post my work. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I always edit my own work.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:31 am

Tryptamine wrote:
I've read in these forums writing slow and perfecting your book is ideal when looking for an agent/publisher.
This information can be found on writing forums all over the web. I don't agree with it. You can follow the advice, and then get back to me when you succeed in finding an agent/publisher and I will accept that I'm wrong. I'll even acccept that I am wrong before you succeed -- on the basis that someone else has followed that advice and succeeded.

The reason I disagree is based on my contact with publishers and agents, and not based on aything I have read or been told. I wrote the book I wanted to write and tried to find a publisher. All the major London publishers told me to find an agent. They also said that I should find out more about the kind of books they published and then write a book that would fit their list.

Publishers have well established links with booksellers and have built up a readership for the books they publish. They will accept something that doesn't fit onto their list if the writer is famous or infamous. They will not take the risk of publishing an unknown author who has written a book that is totally different to anything they have published before. They want variations on the same -- books that are already selling.

If you cannot write a book that fits well onto a publisher's list -- and, yes, it can be new, innovative and unique and still be a good fit -- then even the most polished manuscript will not succeed.

Another consideration about agents: brilliant query letters are all well and good but a surprising number of published authors, who talk about the importance of a good query letter, eventually let it slip that they knew somebody who knew somebody who recommended them to an agent. Or some similar story.

If your writing does not stand out amongst your peers at school/college/writing group, it will not stand out in the slush pile. It needs to.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
madhatter
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
madhatter

Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:36 pm

I edit my work, too, but I did use an editorial service with my first novel before it was published. I met the editor--Susan Malone--at a writers' conference. Plus, one of my friends used her service and was very pleased.

It was expensive. Yes. But she provided a line-by-line edit for typos as well as fifteen-page report on character development, pacing, and plot. She dinged me on several amateurish errors. Now, I can see them right off and correct as I go.

At the very least, have someone--preferably another author, or two-- read your manuscript. I know the writers in my group catch things I don't. Small glitches in wordage and continuity can snatch a reader out of the story.

True, a good manuscript is a good manuscript. If the story is strong, then great...but too many preventable errors can end you in the slush pile.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rhettdevane.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Necessary precautions when writing a book?   Necessary precautions when writing a book? Empty

Back to top Go down

Necessary precautions when writing a book?
Page 1 of 1