Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Losing Independence?

Go down 
+9
Carol Troestler
dmondeo
thehairymob
Don Stephens
joefrank
Abe F. March
Malcolm
alice
Dick Stodghill
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Losing Independence? Empty
PostSubject: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 6:54 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:

Any halfway intelligent person could make out a good case claiming I'm nutty as the floor sweepings at a Planter's factory. Then the defense would have its turn and I'd convince the judge and jury that I was the only sane person in the room.
OK, maybe not the judge. They live in a world of their own.
The point is, I've entered yet another stage of life. My entire existence has consisted of moving from one compartment to another, slamming the door behind me as I leave one and enter the next (DK, Ann, Abe and a few others here know what I mean). I often think back to one of those earlier stages, but they're over with, finished, kaput. "Allus kaput," how often I heard that during one of those earlier phases.
As yet I have not come up with a new name for this latest step. Seizure Stage has a nice ring to it but lacks mass market appeal. I'll work on it.
Many people know I haven't been at the top of my game for a couple of weeks. Not that the top of my game at 84 amounts to a helluva lot. But during those recent days every ailment I've had in the 21st century came back. A Homecoming celebration of sorts. Like any similar gathering, one new wrinkle was added to make it memorable. A trial run was conducted Monday while I was typing some bit of fluff. Suddenly a pair of vise grips took me by the shoulders, lifted me in the air and dropped me again. What happened? I had no idea, but it was startling. I looked down and around to see if I had been smoking a pipe and it now was in the initial stage of igniting me. I hadn't had a pipe in my mouth, but I had just Lost Time.
Jackie took my blood pressure: 81 over 40 something. Low blood pressure brings on hallucination.
Then yesterday morning I was loafing in my living room chair as Jackie prepared to go to the drug store. I asked her to get a package of those cheap buns with gooey icing because nothing else sounded good. She went down the hall to get her coat and purse, then stood in front of me and said they were called sticky buns. I heard that, sticky buns. The next thing I knew she was holding one of my arms, which had been swinging wildly in the air. She said my face had been distorted, although I'm not sure how she could tell the difference.
Jackie called my favorite doctor and he returned the call on his new i-phone. I'm sure of that because we had been playing with it Tuesday when I went in for my monthly shot of joy juice that offsets the effect of a tumor on the pituitary gland that has been there for many years. Jackie was somewhat perturbed because she thought I should be asking medical questions and instead the doc and I were shooting at each other with various weapons on the i-phone.
So yesterday he said, "We can do two things. We can put him in the hospital for ten days to two weeks and run a lot of tests. Will he agree to an operation?"
He had to ask but already know the answer, "No."
"OK, I'll write a prescription for anti-seizure medicine and he can come see me again in a week."
So that's the way they left it, but I sure hope he has the i-phone ready to play with. Unless he has an even newer toy by then.
For obvious reasons I won't be driving a car anytime soon. Some people who don't know better will say that means a loss of independence. Nonsense. A car is handy at times but it owns you, not vice versa. You want independence, watch the last few minutes of the movie Elmer Gantry. He had everything, was on top of the world, but lost it all. With only the shirt on his back and a cheap suitcase in hand containing all his worldly possessions, Elmer (Burt Lancaster) walked off into the sunset with a big grin on his face. That's independence.
Whatever, I suppose some people think I should take life more seriously. Why, when it's so humorous and filled with all these many unexpected twists and turns? Not a single one of us is going to get out of it alive. Eat, drink and make merry; it all comes out the same in the end. As the drunk said as he stood up at our table a week before D-Day: "You who are about to sigh, I dalute you." It's the only way to live.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:02 am

Dick,

I am so glad to see you. What a wonderful surprise.

Great post!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:42 am

Nice to hear you're here and receive your pithy update. Stay well, write often, and keep in touch.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 7:45 am

Dick,
you revealed much in your post. I salute you. Prost!
The time you spend with us is treasured.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 8:04 am

10/30/3009

Dick..

Please stay well...I enjoy your writing
especially on your web page...

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 8:07 am

Keep on keeping on!
Back to top Go down
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 8:48 am

Good to see you back Dick. Hope that this is the sign you are on the mend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Welcome back Dick.
You had us all worrying a little.
I'm glad you've clawed your way back to the computer to write.
Still, take it easy for a while. Losing Independence? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 2:38 pm

Last year I had the low blood pressure black-out experience. Much, much scarier than any of the other hell I've been through in the last year, so I know what you mean, Dick. Everything suddenly went black. The ambulance came and had difficulty getting blood pressure at all, although by then I had my eyes open and was talking. No hallucinations, just black. I now joke I didn't even have one of those experiences with angels and a white tunnel.

Avoid any more of those black outs!!!

Glad to see you back.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:17 pm

I made the mistake once of trying to say that I found it difficut to consider people I've only met on forums as "friends." I received some responses that indicated my words cut a bit. I tried to say a friend was someone whose presence you shared, a nod, a touch, a wink, a conversation with body language and a cup of tea together. How could you feel emotional about a person with whom only words have been shared?

I stand corrected. A friend is someone who makes your life better. That's enough. My life is better, my thoughts clearer and my purpose in being, my raison d'etre, is enriched by those I only know by words beginning at PAMB and lasting into this forum Shelagh so kindly manages so those of us banned from PA could find each other again.

A friend is back in the forum whose words we miss and whose words today remind us clearly of our humanity and the frail threads that bind us to life and sometimes break, one at a time. Thank you, Dick, for expressing with humor and candor the changes that life brings, unexpected and unwelcome but bearable. We missed you while you were disconnected from us.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:32 pm

DK,

True, true words.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 pm

The worth of a mans life? When he leaves a piece of his feelings with others...you have left many with me.

Domenic
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 4:11 am

Well, you certainly haven't lost your touch. Your new blog has all the wit, charm (Did I say that?), and style as the first one I ever read some years ago. So, take those new meds and keep'em coming. We have missed you, and have been waiting for you to come back.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 4:35 am

BTW, Dick, be careful - iphones can become addictive.

Ann
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Just read this blog and thought you might enjoy reading it again. I think he knew he was in trouble, but never let that keep him down. From his posts, he lived each day as though there was no tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:25 pm

That is the answer - every day is a lifetime; live it well.
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm

dkchristi wrote:
I made the mistake once of trying to say that I found it difficut to consider people I've only met on forums as "friends." I received some responses that indicated my words cut a bit. I tried to say a friend was someone whose presence you shared, a nod, a touch, a wink, a conversation with body language and a cup of tea together. How could you feel emotional about a person with whom only words have been shared?

I stand corrected. A friend is someone who makes your life better. That's enough. My life is better, my thoughts clearer and my purpose in being, my raison d'etre, is enriched by those I only know by words beginning at PAMB and lasting into this forum Shelagh so kindly manages so those of us banned from PA could find each other again.

A friend is back in the forum whose words we miss and whose words today remind us clearly of our humanity and the frail threads that bind us to life and sometimes break, one at a time. Thank you, Dick, for expressing with humor and candor the changes that life brings, unexpected and unwelcome but bearable. We missed you while you were disconnected from us.

Dear Diane,
Like our friend Dick, your heart and honesty is always in your posts. You, too, have a way with words that cuts through the crap.

I never met Dick in person, but I loved him just the same.

Many of us have become true friends and never met in person. Perhaps it is the best kind of friendships....mind to mind , with out distraction.

Love,
Betty
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:55 pm

I share your feelings Betty.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 4:48 am

I have had some really tough days this year and am grateful for the kindnesses of people here. I still would love a reunion...some of you are lucky that you've had a chance to get together in real life. Maybe we'll get that chance yet. I may just take a drive to find your vegetables, Betty. Or Abe and his wife will stop in Florida on a trip.

Thank you for believing in the possibilities of the human spirit.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:48 am

Or Diane will stop in my village when she goes to Europe.

The options are always open.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 5:58 am

Dick met with that loss of independence with such grace. That grace was an integral part of who he was. I'm glad to see his posts being brought back to our attention. Maybe Betty is right. Maybe he is reaching out to us.

Ann
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:32 am

Dick, Carol and Lane all had an impact on my thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Losing Independence?   Losing Independence? Empty

Back to top Go down

Losing Independence?
Page 1 of 1