Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

PostCard Advertising

Go down 
+3
Jenny
Shelagh
Sue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostCard Advertising Empty
PostSubject: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 11:15 am

Have any of you used postcards in your advertising of a book signing or event? If so, what size did you use and what did you put on it?

I have 3 book signings coming up in April and one definitely needs a mailing of some sort. The other two do a massive advertising campaign for the authors, so my input is minimal.

Also, do you print them out on your computer or do you have a printer do them for you?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 am

You could check out vista print:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Jenny
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Jenny

Number of posts : 531

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 11:46 am

Sue,

Depending which bookseller is hosting your signing, they may or may not provide a poster. I arranged some book signings to coincide with a holiday in the US. Barnes and Noble provided posters. Waldenbooks provided small A4 size notices, and Shelagh, designed three posters for me!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.victoriahoward.co.uk
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 11:59 am

Hello, Jenny,

Barnes and Noble told me they would do their own poster but asked if I had a mailing list. So I figured I had to send out my own mailings. That is why the question on post cards. If not then flyers in envelopes?

I am in an author bookfair where the library goes all out with putting it in the papers, on the radio and t.v., flyers all over the place, etc. The other book signing is with a library that does a lot of advertising as well. They have all told me they will definitely serve chocolate chip cookies.

I already have a poster made up that I use at my book signings. It is an 11x17 picture of my book cover and I also use a pic of myself in a frame along with brochures for people to order the book prior to the signing. These have worked quite well for my other signings.

However.... I really love the poster above!!!!!

Thank you for your input!!!!!

sunny
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 12:21 pm

Here's one of the posters:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 12:27 pm

I really like that! You do such nice work, Shelagh! I am currently on the vistaprint.com website. I have taken down their telephone number as I need to talk to them about round magnets.

Thank you so much to those who guided me their way! This group is awesome! PostCard Advertising 986286

sunny
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Hey Sue - great to see your picture on here! I have used postcards (5x8 inches) and also bookmarks and business cards. Although I initially printed stuff at home (especially the business cards and bookmarks), because I was in a big hurry, I liked the results that came from a print shop because the colours were nice and rich and the cost was pretty reasonable (plus, to be honest, when I did the bookmarks at home, I ended up with a dining room full of mess, two papercuts and one grouchy dog that was getting fed kind of late...).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 pm

Everyone at the book signings seem to love the bookmarks. I also had pens printed up and love to hand them out. As I hand them to people I say, "everyone can use a pen." I have gotten some responses through my website from them. I put my hubby to work on the bookmarks. I make him laminate them and cut them out. Talk about grouchy Laughing

sunny
Back to top Go down
Pam
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Pam

Number of posts : 1790
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 4:36 am

Just tell him that he does it because he loves you. And he's well paid...in cookies of course, so no grouching allowed. lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpi.org
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptySat Mar 29, 2008 8:41 am

Deep down I think he loves doing it. He is such a perfectionist when it comes to things like that. I will accept things he won't, so he is better suited for that. Such precision in how much white is showing around and how straight he cuts them out. Sheesh! Laughing

sunny
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:34 am

Vista Print is pretty good for postcards. If you do a minimum order and then wait about a week, you will start to get free promo offers. Use those to get 100-250 postcards for free - you just have to pay the cost of shipping.

Just print flyers via your own file at Kinkos or Office Depot (Office Depot is cheaper then Kinkos right now).

Big flyers only cost a dollar if you print them on 11 x 17; if you need to go bigger costs ramp up very fast.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks, Peter! PostCard Advertising 78793 I do appreciate it! I used the 11x17 for my book cover for display at book signings. The places I hold the signings really seem to like having it. In fact one didn't give it back. Smile PostCard Advertising 78793
Back to top Go down
rowena cherry
Two Star Member
Two Star Member

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyThu May 22, 2008 2:09 pm

Talking of Vistaprint, I like to do the oversized postcards. I'm off topic for signing publicity.

I buy Pat Rouse's readers group list. If you haven't heard of Pat Rouse, her list is $75 for a year's membership which entitles you to quarterly updates.

I have Vistaprint send a batch of 50 (nice, custom) oversized postcards directly to the groups that have over 35 readers and are run by a bookstore.

Best wishes,
Rowena Cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.rowenacherry.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 11:29 am

Great idea, Rowena. Do you have a link to Pat Rouse's site?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes, VistaPrints oversize cards are nice. They have been running deals all spring for 250 regular size cards for $20 (including shipping) and 100 oversize for $20.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PostCard Advertising   PostCard Advertising Empty

Back to top Go down

PostCard Advertising
Page 1 of 1