Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Odd People and Events

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Odd People and Events Empty
PostSubject: Odd People and Events   Odd People and Events EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:22 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
I've always enjoyed the companionship of oddball characters because there are times when spending an hour or so with normal people can be boring.
Take my old friend Gerry for example. You might say that Gerry was uninhibited. One night after visiting a tavern or two he was driving home when hit by a sudden urge. He stopped at the house of perfect strangers, knocked on the door and asked if he might use their bathroom. They weren't too keen on the idea but decided to let him in. After fifteen minutes or so they began to feel a little uneasy so the man went upstairs to see what was going on.
Gerry was taking a bath.
I have never been odd myself, of course, but I have been present when people did some odd things. This happened quite often when I worked for Pinkerton's. Late one afternoon my friend John, who had shared some unusual happenings with me, was handed a routine assignment so I decided to ride along with him. When a woman answered his knocking on the door of a house, John flashed one of the various business cards that private eyes collect to use at proper times. He was slow in doing so and the woman grabbed the card from his hand.
We were sitting on a living room couch while John asked a few pertinent but deceptive questions. Then the husband arrived home. The woman said, "Honey, this is mister. . .uh, I forget your name."
So did John. He mumbled something and then we beat a hasty retreat. When we were back in the car I burst out laughing. John didn't think it was funny. He said, "That was one of my best cards and that dame kept it."
I was ready to head home after a long day when the manager called me into his office and said, "Go out to the airport. You're supposed to be arriving on a ten o'clock flight from Detroit. When it arrives, call the ____ hotel and have their van pick you up. When you get to your room ask the bellhop if he can bring you a bottle of whiskey. Then ask if he can send up a woman."
I said, "Look, I know what to do if he brings me the whiskey but what do I do if he sends up a woman?"
The manager leaned back in his chair, laughing. "Well, if you don't know by now it's probably too late to learn."
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Odd People and Events   Odd People and Events EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:27 am

Very funny. You were some character - and still are.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Odd People and Events   Odd People and Events EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am

Dick,

Your stories remind me of a sleepwalking friend Dan had in college.

One night John got up, walked down the hall, opened the door of some mutual friends' room, turned on the light, piddled in their sink and walked out again.

The friends were so surprised all they said was, "Can't you at least have the decency to turn off the light?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Odd People and Events   Odd People and Events EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 am

Dick what was on that business card?
What did you do with the woman???
Did you drink the whiskey??

Great stories thank you. Odd People and Events Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Odd People and Events   Odd People and Events EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 3:09 pm

The business card was that of someone representing some reputable business. All the ops latched on to any they could find to use at times when interviewing someone under pretext.
Didn't get the whiskey and didn't get the woman. When I asked for the latter the bellhop drew himself up and said, "This isn't that kind of hotel." Made me feel like two cents. I was pleased because the agency manager wouldn't have cared what happened but I wasn't so sure about the New York headquarters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd People and Events   Odd People and Events Empty

Back to top Go down

Odd People and Events
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-
Jump to: