Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century Empty
PostSubject: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
I called the VA this morning to make my semi-annual appointment with one of the nation's finest primary care doctors. Wait a moment, I was told, because there was a new menu and I had to hear it all before pressing a button. One of the new features is "Press 8 if you feel suicidal or homicidal."
Sad, isn't it? It puzzles me because in earlier conflicts during my lifetime the risk of being killed or maimed was far greater and living conditions were far worse. It doesn't matter if I get it or not, that's just the way it is today.

There is hope, although it's not exactly visible on the horizon. Men are doomed. At least that's what a new survey reveals and it's all because of chromosomes or something like that. Males are losing them at a rapid pace, they say. Not too rapid, apparently, as the end won't come for a few million years. Or maybe it's a few billions years, but either way it doesn't much matter to those of us living today.
Now here's a bit of really good news. Teetotallers are social misfits. Along with being short on social skills they have higher levels of depression and anxiety than the rest of us and have more mental problems than even the heaviest drinkers.
That doesn't surprise me even a little but there's another study I am in complete disagreement with. It says that "beer goggles," meaning, I think, staring at frails through the bottom of a beer bottle, makes them less attractive. Admittedly I have polished off a few beers in my time but never, not even once, have I looked over the babes at the bar through the bottom of the empty bottle. I guess what they mean is that after downing a few drinks a man finds women unappealing. Having studied the actions of men in bars at close range, not in a laboratory, I can say without fear of contradiction that anyone who believes such a thing is full of something less tasty than beer.
This conclusion, I want to make perfectly clear, comes from watching the actions of other men, not myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 11:31 am

Actuially, Dick, I think it means much the same thing as saying the girls all get prettier at closing time.

With the consumption of enough beer, or just about any alcoholic beverage, the girls all begin to grow attractive. You can turn a 2 into a 5 with a six pack, and into a full 9 with just a few more bottles. Helps folks not to go home alone.

Course, that leads to the coyote ugly syndrome. You know, where you wake up with your arm around someone who is so ugly that you'd rather chew off your arm than wake them up.

Ah, social graces, ain't they wonderful?
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 pm

Oh so true, Don. I'm only going by what others say, of course.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:46 pm

I've been drinking sparkling wine, so you are both looking extremely fetching this evening. Hic.

A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Yeah, but wait'll you click on here in the morning.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Dick Stodghill wrote:
Yeah, but wait'll you click on here in the morning.

A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 343621

So, Dick, the recordings I've gotten generally go through the "press #_" starting with 1 and progressing. does that mean a suicidal veteran has to wait through 1-7 before getting help??

Ann scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Dick, as usual you are soooo right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:09 pm

9/4/2009

I love when I call the Dr.'s office and the tape
says it this is an emergency call 911 , we'll hello if I
we're having a heart attack I wouldn't be calling the
Dr.'s office ! There's no human beings to call anymore,
even now social security does everything on their web
site, they claim it's the paper reduction act...

Cheers..Joe.. A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 94519
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Maybe they are hoping the caller will give and hang up.

Maybe the caller hasn't even thought of kiling anyone.

Why don't they say, If you are happy today, press one."
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 5:23 pm

Dear Shelagh,
Once in a while a little sparkling does wonders for the spirit.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Remember the commercial about the call to 911? "I fell down and can't get up"
I always wondererd how that person was able to reach for the phone.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 1:52 am

I don't like to be dismal, but the news is making me that way.

This country is ungovernable. We allow everyone to comment on the news and critique and lie about anything and everything.

The old people have decided Obama wants to kill them and they get so hysterical about it, he ought to say--"Keep those great ideas coming--I hadn't even thought of them."

A lot of this country is old-maybe they ought to shut-up before someone takes them up on their silliness.

A democracy can only work if the electorate is enlightened. I don't see a very astute electorate in America, They want everything fixed right now. They don't want anything, but what they want. IMPOSSIBLE.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 2:07 am

Alice,

A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 950944

I agree. We can be better than ever, but people seem to want to go back to where we were a few years ago. I'd like to go way back to when you had to have 20% down to buy a house, and didn't expect to sell it the next year for a huge profit. I'd like to go way back to when doctor bills were affordable by almost everyone and you could get in to see one the same day.

I have taken some of those suicidal calls. You have to keep the person talking and you listen, hope and pray you say the right words. One time I had a woman on the line who was serious. Her employer made her call our clinic before she would let her go home for the day because of concerns for her. That employer saved her life.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 2:11 am

Carol.

I agree with you. A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 950944

Instant gratification does not work. Everyone wants everything fixed immediately. THIS IS NOT A HALF-HOUR SOAP OPERA EPISODE.

Obama ought to resign. He has been hasseled, and blamed nonstop. He is okay. He has money, a house, health care.
Everyone but he knows what to do--he ought to let them show him how to do it.

Any Republican is welcome to offer their solution to any and all problems. All they can do is gripe and grizzle and complain.

He ought to say- "Straighten up by Thanksgiving or find yourselves a new scapegoat. I have better things to do--enjoy my wife children, etc.,"
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 2:30 am

Sometimes we get all patriotic and loving, and then within months can turn around and spew hate. Look at how exciting the election was whoever people voted for, and I don't think the love had anything to do with change but with the fact that we had become loving enough to celebrate diversity. Then, instead of working together to improve things that desperately needed to be improved, the nasty words began to fly. But it isn't just the government. From Kennedy's funeral it appears they can be loving friends. But it is the media and people who need to read the constitution and American history and government and care about their fellow men, women and little kids.

I've got to go back to bed since I'm in the Cow Chip parade tomorrow riding in the Red Cross vehicle. Then there is viewing the dunk tank my daughter is in charge of to make money for the girls' hockey team, and the petting zoo, and the craft fair, and 5k run some of my grandchildren are in and the pancake breakfast.

What am I doing on this messageboard? I need my rest.

Love, Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 12:35 pm

Okay I don't like this century. The only good thing about it is my grandchildren arrived.

A dim view.

It must improve-- my view or the century--probably both!
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 1:21 pm

Alice I am currently building a time machine.
If all goes well and I can get the thing working you are welcome to borrow it for a century or two. Cool
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 1:29 pm

David,

Great idea--you just woke me up. I don't like the previous centuries either. Glad we are here now.

Wish it were perfect. I ain't, so why am I so fussy?
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Ah perfection, That sounds like another thread in the making.
It has been said that if you find the perfect town don't move there because you aint perfect and you'll just spoil it.
That is why I don't live in the perfect town.
I'm a million miles from perfection.
They also say that diamonds are not perfect gems. They have flaws it is these that make the diamond so beautiful.
So being perfect aint so good after all I'm so glad phew! A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century 467431
Back to top Go down
Phil
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 4:21 pm

I don't want to spoil the mood but I see and experience many great things that have come from our progress in the 21st Century.

Some bad but mostly good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century   A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century Empty

Back to top Go down

A Sad Commentary on the 21st Century
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-
Jump to: