Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Dining in Bergen op Zoom

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Dining in Bergen op Zoom Empty
PostSubject: Dining in Bergen op Zoom   Dining in Bergen op Zoom EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:

Dining in Bergen op Zoom BergenopZoom
We had strawberries for lunch and that started me thinking about the little Dutch town of Bergen op Zoom. We spent a pleasant evening and night there in 1985, but it wasn't easy.
Jackie was upset because we crossed the border from Belgium on a back road without guards so she felt we broke the law and would be jailed as illegal aliens. Then a short time later when we arrived at Bergen op Zoom we couldn't get into town. We weren't barred or anything like that, it's just that there's a wall around it as it has been the scene of numerous battles and sieges.
There are houses ouside the wall and people were out working in their yards or just relaxing at the end of the day. As we made our third complete circuit of the city without finding a way in some of them were laughing and waving when we went by. Three times around was enough for me so I parked the car and set out on foot to find a way in. I succeeded so we finally arrived at our hotel.
After getting settled in we went down for dinner, which was being served outside in an area enclosed by a low wrought-iron fence and overlooking the square. I decided the stress had sent Jackie around the bend because she ordered sea eel. She said it was good and maybe it was because she ate all of it. I stuck to something more mundane but had strawberries and peppercorns for dessert. Americans would never dream of blending the two. The Dutch are a bit smarter because one taste compliments the other and it was delicious.
Before we started out in the morning I was a bit stressed myself. Jackie had insisted that the one thing she had to see in Europe was a genuine Dutch windmill, the huge kind people live in. I asked the hotel employees and not one of them had a clue as to where we might find one. So we set off on the road to Breda and hadn't gone more than a few miles before we came to one after another of those windmills. I guess it was a case of not noticing the everyday things around you.

Last edited by Dick Stodghill on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Dining in Bergen op Zoom   Dining in Bergen op Zoom EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Dick,
I'm sure you liked the town. I went there in 1997 and spent several weeks while training on Fokker Aircraft. Had the opportunity to tour the surrounding area and met some nice people.
Did you get a chance to see the dykes?
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dining in Bergen op Zoom   Dining in Bergen op Zoom EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

No, Abe, we didn't get to see the dykes. Wish we had but our schedule called for us to be in Vianden, Luxembourg the next night and we had a couple of stops to make along the way.
Fokker aircraft - visions of the First World War.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Dining in Bergen op Zoom   Dining in Bergen op Zoom EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Dick,

Sounds like fun--I want to go there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dining in Bergen op Zoom   Dining in Bergen op Zoom Empty

Back to top Go down

Dining in Bergen op Zoom
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-