Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 6:13 pm

9/3/2009

Yes, Shelagh is right, I love Doris, Matter of fact at
the end of my book I'm donating 10% of the procceds from
" Dusty," to The Doris Day Animal Foundation, she's a
great animal lover.. Here's another great quote I love from
a Marilyn Monroe Film ( Loved Her )

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes:

Her boyfriends father accuses her of wanting to marry his
son for his money and she answers: " I don't want to marry
him for his money, I want to marry him for your money."

Cheers...Joe... WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 94519
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 7:59 pm

I am so bummed! I just wrote the most erudite entry of all times, and managed to delete it.

It had to do with why neither John Wayne nor Clint Eastwood are my favorite actors.

John Wayne was in a film with Marlene Dietrich, one where Hattie McDaniel, the Oscar winner from Gone with the Wind, had to play a humiliatingly racist scene with Wayne. I saw it on AMC a few years ago, and have not watched a John Wayne film since. (OK, except fro Rio Bravo last month, but that was to see Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson.)

Clint Eastwood is OK, mostly, but his westerns were of a realistic, violent type, typical of the Vietnam war era. I still prefer westerns with a romantic bend. James Stewart and (of course) Audie Murphy come to mind. I think it is interesting that the film that brought Eastwood to stardom (A Fistful of Dollars) was first offered to Murphy, but he turned it down. Mostly, I think, I am too young to appreciate John Wayne, and too old for Eastwood.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Marie,
Yes I do like Clint Eastwood as well. Especially in the spaghatti westerns (did they really eat spaghetti in those movies?)

"The man with no name"

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 Cbc489ae
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:44 pm

A Ahad wrote:
Marie,
Yes I do like Clint Eastwood as well. Especially in the spaghatti westerns (did they really eat spaghetti in those movies?)

I think they got their name because they were not filmed in Hollywood but in Italy hence the sometimes poor lip sync and over dubbed soundtrack as some of the actors did not speak good english. Or maybe their mouths were actually full of spaghetti?
Back to top Go down
A Ahad
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts : 1102
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 pm

dmondeo wrote:
Or maybe their mouths were actually full of spaghetti?

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 343621
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 5:33 am

DK, the only way I've found to put pictures here is to use Photobucket. It's easy or I couldn't have done it. It uploads your photo in seconds and then you just copy the text under it and paste it here.

I like Eastwood OK but have never been able to tolerate John Wayne. Whenever I had to suffer through two minutes of Doris Day I was overcome by desire to throw a bucket of cold water on her. Same for June Allyson.
The worst case of miscasting in history came when Doris Day played the role of torch singer Ruth Etting in Love Me or Leave Me. Etting felt it was a ludicrous choice. That was too mild a word for the simpering Day trying to act like the hard-bitten Etting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 7:09 am

9/4/2009

I musn't forget a dark haired beauty
who came from Texas , Linda Darnell, she
was great in the " Mark Of Zorro " With
Tyrone Powers..At 18 she was already
a film star..

Cheers...Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 am

I forgot Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond.

When I watch that movie, he looks like my Dad, does not talk like him though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 9:53 am

Now Henry Fonda was a very talented man.
Top marks Alice. Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 10:02 am

Now anyne mentioned Paul Newman and Robert Redford.
Maybe they're not quite Old Old Hollywood enough. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10714
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 11:10 am

Yes, Paul Newman and Robert Redford are favorites, but as you said, they didn't equate to old hollywood.

I agree with Dick about John Wayne. I never understood all the rave about him. I disagree with him about Doris Day. I envied Rock Hudson in the several roles he played with her. Of course we learned that the Rock was not the man he was purported to be, but did a good acting the role.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm

You guys! Doris Day had the sex appeal of a rock. Maybe that's why she went well with Rock Hudson.

Ann, I know the feeling. Some of my best work has been lost to posterity in ways like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12619
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 12:48 pm

dmondeo wrote:
Now anyne mentioned Paul Newman and Robert Redford.
Maybe they're not quite Old Old Hollywood enough. Very Happy
Neither is Clint Eastwood. Not even Clint Walker.

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Phil
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 2:14 pm

I was hopelessly in love with Diana Lynn. She was my daydream in the 50s.

Do guys swoon? I swooned over Diana Lynn.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 9:08 am

How about Andy Griffith , Peter Falk and Dennis Weaver?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 10:40 am

I have a story about Dennis Weaver. He made a couple of movies with Audie Murphy. The one where he had a major role was called Column South. He played an Apache (Oh, yeah; swell casting) named Menguito who had been framed for murder by the real bad guys, but Murphy's character believed he was innocent and managed to clear him:

http://www.audiemurphy.com/mov_1716/p15_1716.htm

So, while I was writing my book, I emailed Weaver's website, explaining what I was doing, and asked if he would be willing to comment on what he remembered about working with Murphy. His secretary wrote back to quote Weaver as saying, "I remember he was shorter than me."

Note in the picture how they managed to make it look as though they were close to the same height.

Ann
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 am

Great picture Ann,

Does anyone remember Duel?
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Wasn't that the one with the killer truck?

My favorite Dennis Weaver character was McCloud.

"'E're y'go."

Ann
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 1:43 pm

Yep the big black menacing monster truck. Dennis wiping sweat off his brow and looking in the rear view mirror to see if the truck is still behind him.
The cowboy boots in the bar which is all you see of the truck driver. Real edge of the seat viewing. Smile

Last edited by dmondeo on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 1:56 pm

Those old films made me realise how dangerous the american automobiles were. I mean every crash ended with the cars exploding. I'd be scared silly just driving one down the street.

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 810142
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?   WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE FILM STARS OLD HOLLYWOOD AND WHY ?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Chatter Box-
Jump to: