Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

You never know about people

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

You never know about people Empty
PostSubject: You never know about people   You never know about people EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 8:41 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
The other day I switched channels and was fortunate enough to see Dick Cheney talking tough and displaying his usual swaggering arrogance. You wouldn't think that would remind me of a nervous, frightened kid of 18 who was summoned from deep in the Kentucky hills to serve in the infantry way back in 1943, but it did.
Russell couldn't do a thing to please the sergeants so they were on his back from sunup to midnight. He tried his best to please but he messed up everything he did so they just rode him all the harder. It was their job, their responsibility to get him ready for combat so he might have at least a glimmer of hope of staying alive. He never stopped trying but guns scared him to death so he couldn't even qualify with the M-1 rifle. They took him back to the range time after time but he just couldn't make the grade. Even so they shipped him out to Europe.
You just never can be sure what a man will do when all the chips are on the table. Russell, the least likely of men to do anything, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for bravery, for action above and beyond the call of duty. The DSC is the second-highest award of all. Only the Congressional Medal of Honor ranks ahead of it. So it might have been well hidden, but Russell had it in him all that time when he was bumbling along and failing to please.
Funny, though, that tough talking Cheney showed yellow when he received a similar summons during the war in Vietnam. Not once but six times. He explained it away by saying he had other priorities. It wouldn't be surprising if some of the more than 50,000 men who died there had priorities of their own.
I guess it goes along with something I noticed back in 1944 and '45. The replacements who came up to the line talking tough always, and I do mean always, either shot themselves in the foot when things turned mean or just managed to disappear and weren't seen again. They say that talk is cheap. Tough talk is even cheaper.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: You never know about people   You never know about people EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 am

I'm glad I never got put to the test, I'm sure I would have failed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: You never know about people   You never know about people EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 am

Why on earth are they still allowing Cheney to pollute the airwaves?

Sad really--SAD!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: You never know about people   You never know about people EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Dick,
I read Cheney's comments on his interview with Fox News.
He was and continues to be a dangerous man. When he was a heartbeat away from the presidency, it never occured to many what could have happened if he succeeded to the job.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: You never know about people   You never know about people EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 am

The fact that Hairy Mob over in Scotland feels he would have failed if put to the test is a good sign that he would have succeeded.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You never know about people   You never know about people Empty

Back to top Go down

You never know about people
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-
Jump to: