Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car Empty
PostSubject: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:48 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
I've been stung three times by General Motors and crossed the company off my list long ago. Hard as it is for me to believe, they have come up with yet another reason to ignore their plaintive cries that now they are making really good cars. It's far too late for me to dance to that tune.
The capper came in the news today and it is so GM. They said they will not participate in the effort to properly dispose of mercury switches in the old beaters turned in on the Cash for Clunkers program. Why won't they take part? Because the cars with those mercury switches were made by the old GM before the firm filed for bankruptcy. In the company's perverted way of thinking the new GM that has been given every break possible by taxpayers isn't obligated to pay for the crap made by old GM.
This, I suppose, is their way of thumbing their nose at average Americans who spent hard earned money helping to bail them out. Financial institutions have done it by paying huge bonuses to those responsible for their troubles and now GM has found a way of doing the same thing.
If the survival of GM is up to folks like me it is on its way to join Hupmobile, Hudson, Packard and so many other brands confined to the junk heap. That would be a fitting end considering the junk they sold me in the past.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 10:57 am

Unfortunately, good tax money has been pumped into them. I still think my friend's suggestion in jest at the early talks about the bailout money to forget pumping money into corporate institutions but give every adult $1 million instead wasn't as far out as it seemed. The cash for clunkers so far shows what $4500 does.

I think the whole bailout was another boondogle for big business execs. Small businesses create jobs, small businesses that are provided the support to grow. Instead, they all went belly up. Just look at all the closed stores in the strip malls and grand malls for that matter.

I'm no sophisticated economist and my political stand is fiscally conservative and socially liberal so that doesn't fit anywhere. I just know that if I mismanage the half million grant I administer, I'm fired. No questions. No excuses. I forgot to include: no severance, no bonus for previous performance, no nothing. Fired.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 3:32 pm

We agree, DK.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:11 am

It appears that the people who have benefited most from this new deal are those who bought those big SUV's. Now they're being paid to get a sensible vehicle.
A person with an old car that gets 18+ mpg doesn't get help since they don't qualify. Something doesn't add up. Rewarding recklessness/waste continues.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 am

At least it gets the old guzzlers off the road. I agree with Dick that GM is misusing the program.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 am

Well, Dick, a fair piece of the world has for years been grouped into Ford people and GM people. Except for one Kaiser Jeep (good) and one Chrysler Cricket (bad) I've had nothing but GM cars and have never been stung.Smile

My wife, who comes from a family who bought nothing but Ford products--including their tractors--drives Ford products, with the exception of a couple of Century Station Wagons (good) and has never been stung.Smile

I have yet to see much evidence that GM's cars, on average, are any better or any worse than those that have been made by Chrysler, American Motors, and Ford. People swear at and swear by all of these companies, while others go over seas or buy from foreign makers in the states who don't have to contend with GM's horrid union contracts or with the fact that the government has long ordered U.S. car makers to produce cars the public didn't want to buy from them.Evil or Very Mad

Now, will the Volt really get 238 miles per gallon? If so, maybe that's a plus for GM in 2010. But I'm not likely to buy it because I have a 12-year-old GM car which is running just fine. king

Some may say that after that many years, it's in the clunker category even though it gets better gas mileage than many of the newer products from ALL American car companies.

Even if it were a clunker, I cannot, as a good Libertarian, deserve any money stolen from other people by the government to help me get a new car. I may be a starving writer, but that's not the public's problem to fix.Mad

Enjoy your non-GM cars, Dick. My wife will probably keep driving Fords since her 10-year-old vehicle is going just fine even though we've had to put more money into keeping it going than my Saturn. Go figure?

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm glad you have had good luck with them, Malcolm. I got two Chevrolets and a Buick (all new) that were real lemons. I also had a Chrysler and a Plymouth that were troublesome, but not as bad as the others. My two Volkswagen beetles were wonderful but for the past 18 years I have been a big fan of Toyota.
One big question today is, "What is an American car?"
Hondas are made in Marysville, Ohio, Subarus in Princeton, Indiana, my two Camrys in Georgetown, Kentucky. Some of the cars thought to be American are made elsewhere. As for the executives and stockholders of the old Big Three, I have no affection for them. If they have to be saved by the government, where was it when Packard, Studebaker, Hudson and all the others were going under?
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Yep, it's kind of hard to know how to define the American car with so many foreign makers putting up plants in the U.S. So far, Ford hasn't needed any bailout money, so that's a plus for them.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 am

I doubt that a car exists that doesn't contain parts from various world locations. Claim to manufacture is in the assembly of the vehicle. That is true for other products. Sometimes a product is partially produced in China, Taiwan, India, etc., but the final touch is made in another country where they place the "Made In" label on the product. These are tactics to take advantage of tax or other incentives.
When I produced PC's in Germany for an American company, I didn't produce a single part. All parts were imported and then assembled in Germany where the label, "Made in Germany" went on the PC. Monitors were produced in Taiwan and my company logo/label was placed there by the manufacturer. They produced the same product for other high-end brands that commanded a higher cost to the consumer based on the brand name.
Brand doesn't always indicated quality. It is most often the cost of promotion and support given by a company that dictates price.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:36 am

As you said, Abe, "Made in --" doesn't mean a thing today regardless of what country is named.

Malcolm, when I drove a G.I. Cab more than half a century ago the entire fleet was Fords. I believe 1949 and 1950 models. Great cars. I drove cab #1 12 hours a day, six days a week. Stick shift, of course. Lots of fun but quite tiring and it left a driver with dirty hands at the end of the day. Later I owned four Fords and a mercury. They too were great except one that always had the brakes engaged. Every Ford dealer and repair shop in Akron tried to fix it. None could, but I didn't get mad at Ford, only at me Dad. He sold it to me while working for a Kaiser agency. "That's the way it goes," he said. He had become a typical used car salesman.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 2:24 pm

I always wanted my own, roomy Checker Marathon, but not one that had run a million miles as a cab. I liked the fold-down seats in the back for the small-size passengers.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 3:15 pm

I liked those checker too. They were built like a tank.
My Ford cab had a fold-down seat and a large plexiglass shield that kept passengers from getting to me if they so desired. The company figured our cabs were worn out after 33,000 miles and got rid of them. They were right. That stop and go driving 24 hours a day was brutal. My first couple of days on the job I had to drive one of those ready for the scrap heap. That was brutal, too.
Getting fired was easy but it didn't happen to me. If you were caught going a couple of miles over the speed limit you were fired. If the spotter cab saw you with a passenger and the flag up you were fired unless your trip sheet showed you had a flat-rate fare. If you were caught not shifting into neutral at a stop light you were fired. The list went on and on. It was a great job and I loved it. If the pay had been a little better I never would have left.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:15 am

Sounds like a good way for a writer to meet a lot of people and hear a lot of stories.

I wish I'd put in a few years doing that.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
It appears that the people who have benefited most from this new deal are those who bought those big SUV's. Now they're being paid to get a sensible vehicle.
A person with an old car that gets 18+ mpg doesn't get help since they don't qualify. Something doesn't add up. Rewarding recklessness/waste continues.

The icing on the cake will be the eventual bailout of all these clunker-drivers financing new cars they can't afford.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 8:08 am

I agree, LC. Now they have another payment to make, and their clunkers were probably paid off. I hear the dealers re having trouble getting paid for the ones they took in. Many people I am sure, would like to have the 'clunkers that were turned in, as they are better than what they are driving. I have to wonder how many folks don't even have cars that could have benefitted from those that got turned in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 10:54 am

zadaconnaway wrote:
Many people I am sure, would like to have the 'clunkers that were turned in, as they are better than what they are driving. I have to wonder how many folks don't even have cars that could have benefitted from those that got turned in.

This is what has stuck in my craw about the whole program. I understand it was a stimulus effort. OTOH, there are always local newspaper articles about low-income citizens who are so happy to receive a donated car so they can join the workforce, drive to school, etc. What message are we giving (and receiving) that perfectly servicable cars should be destroyed because they don't meet an arbitrary MPG requirement?

And about that MPG requirement. What's worse, someone with a poor MPG car who drives 3 miles to their local job, or someone who bought an efficient MPG car so he can commute 200 miles a day? Which leaves a bigger carbon footprint?
Back to top Go down
Phil
Three Star Member
Three Star Member

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2009-04-08

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 12:08 pm

I worked in an industry where fixing a problem was more important than fixing blame. When I do not agree with what the government is doing I write to my congressman and explain why I disagree and what I want him to do. If there is no response or his response is not acceptable then I vote against him in the next election. I always tell them that I am going to vote for their opponent and why.

Congressmen are sensitive to their voters because they must stand for election every two years. I think it is hopeless to bother with senators because of their long terms.

There is a process to influence my congressmen. If I don't use it then I have to put up with his decisions re health care and other stupid legislation.

And I try and remember that a congressman's motive at all times is to get re-elected.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 1:52 pm

You would not believe the number of emails I have sent and the letters I have taken to the post office. Senators, congressmen, representatives and all have heard from me! I also keep it short and to the point, so it is easy for them to read. I think a thousand pages is ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car   I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car Empty

Back to top Go down

I didn't need another reason not to buy a GM car
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-
Jump to: