Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Almighty Dollar

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

The Almighty Dollar Empty
PostSubject: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
It's always about the money, isn't it? Go to college and you'll make X number of dollars more than someone with only a high school diploma. There was another one of those stories a few days ago. If you want the big bucks, get a degree in engineering. That's the hot ticket today.
I hope some people give young folks different advice. Go to college, that's fine, but pick out a field you really love and forget where it ranks on the pay scale. Work at a job that makes you eager to leap out of bed in the morning and get to work. Maybe you won't have an oversize house in a fancy suburb or drive a luxury model car or have the biggest TV screen on the block, but you will love the life you're leading.
Whenever you hear someone talk about early retirement you know they have wasted their life doing the wrong kind of work, have missed their chance at true fulfillment all for the safe and steady paycheck. They worked for money, not love, not pleasure, not fun. They missed out on passion.
While working for Pinkerton's I had three secret (undercover) assignments at places where going to work was less enjoyable than going to the dentist. At the worst of the lot a youth of nineteen spent his first day's lunch break asking about the company's retirement benefits. Hearing that, I lost my appetite.
A lot of people feel like that young fellow, of course. They are willing to spend their best years in drudgery for the sake of security that in reality doesn't exist.
My advice to any young person is enter a field you love. If it's being an engineer, fine. If' it's being a carpenter, that's fine too. Don't let money influence your decision. If you do, that may be about all you ever get out of life. Money, no matter how much of it you may acquire, can't buy happiness. Life shouldn't be about how much you have but how much you enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
LC

Number of posts : 5044
Registration date : 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:07 am

Dick Stodghill wrote:
Money, no matter how much of it you may acquire, can't buy happiness.

Ok, but neither does poverty.

I totally agree about the importance of enjoying your work. It's not either/or, though. After a certain age it's harder to enjoy work if it doesn't pay for the things one wants for oneself and family.

Re the 19-yr old asking about retirement benefits. That shows unusual foresight for someone that age, and doesn't necessarily indicate he wouldn't like the work. Just yesterday on another board I frequent, health care was being discussed. Someone mentioned a friend whose career was spent playing in B-list bands in Japan and Europe (fun, but little money). Now he's 50, has medical issues and can't find a job that will cover them. Some on that board feel it's his own fault for "farting around" so long with no thought to the future. I dunno ...he did what he wanted and contributed to the music community, so I can't say he "farted around" and wasted it all, but I'm sure at this point he'd disagree with life all about being fun and not so much about money.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 8:34 am

As always, balance matters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 am

A few weeks ago I went to my husband's fiftieth college grad class reunion. The President of the College asked this group, "How many pursued the profession you majored in?" About four out of fifty hands went up. I heard that with more recent grads the percentage is more like 50%.

The whole idea is that you learn a lot more than a profession from college, from fighting in a war, from poverty, from having money. Hopefully you learn what you love, and perhaps it will be a night job with a day job that pays the bills and provides the benefits. But those benefits could also all disappear just when one needs them the most.

And even what to do with the money you might get along the way: something you love or something that is practical? When I came into some money a few years ago, I said jokingly I was going to buy a red Mustang convertible. Everyone was cheering me on, but practical me paid off the mortgage instead. Darn. I regret that decision. What did it matter in the big scheme of things anyway?

Sometimes in life we have to do foolishness. And believe me, I don't completely regret my practical ways, because they got me some good perks in life.

But the next time I make enough for a red mustang convertible, I'm buying it. In fact, there is one in the Ford dealership in town, just waiting. . .

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:25 am

I always get a kick out of all the sports cars driven by elderly adults in Naples. I figure they put their kids through school, worked hard, saved hard and retired here. Now, they can finally splurge on that car.

Me, I don't want a sports car. I just want one that gets good gas mileage and has no trouble.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:04 am

Hmmm. I might reconsider that sports car. I once wanted a Mercedes 450SL convertible (and I don't remember what that was but it was around 1979).
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:08 am

Dick,
sound advice as usual.
The first job I had after getting out of the USAF was with a small loan company. I had the title of "Assistant Manager," but the actual job was "deadbeat chaser." Trying to collect on bad loans is a story in itself.
I had my fill of chasing the dollar, and when I finally got it, I lost it. Only then did I come to my senses and realize that life is more than having money. Life is a journey. If you can't enjoy the journey, you're going nowhere.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:24 am

Sometimes we retire early for other reasons. I had at least two. One was that today's teens have a difficult time relating to seniors. There's a "whole 'nother thread." The other was that I had always wanted to be a writer, but had too many responsibilities: being a single parent, then parenting my parent; to be free to take the risk. And that's all part of being a woman in today's world.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Almighty Dollar   The Almighty Dollar Empty

Back to top Go down

The Almighty Dollar
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-
Jump to: