Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Forbidden is a Dirty Word

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Forbidden is a Dirty Word Empty
PostSubject: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:02 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:
This is the time of year when Americans are supposed to think about independence and freedom. A few may take time out from barbecuing and watching fireworks to actually do so. When the mood strikes I always think of one word: verboten.
As a young man I was taught that life in Nazi Germany was not exactly a stroll in the park. There were certain things a person needed to do, others that better not be done if plans had been made to go on living. Soon after my nineteenth birthday I found myself in Germany and was amazed. Not by the destruction, although there was plenty of that, but by the number of signs warning against doing just about everything except breathing. That word verboten - forbidden, not permissible - was everywhere.
A year later after being transferred to the military police I was living in a slave labor barrack complete with a high fence topped by barbed wire. The war was over, I wasn't a slave, but it was hard to turn around without seeing that word verboten. Sometimes I even heard it spoken or actually said it myself: "Das ist verboten."
When I returned to the States, life was much different. Aside from murder and armed robbery, not many things were forbidden. It was a live-and-let-live society so only now and then did you see a sign telling you something was verboten.
Over the years that has changed considerably. First you no longer could do one thing and then another thing and if they didn't come right out and say you couldn't there was always someone to warn that you shouldn't. Fortunately there still are few signs saying something is verboten and life isn't as grim as it was in Nazi Germany, but we're getting there. It would not come as a shock if someone were to tell me that even writing these words is verboten, or should be.
#
I have written about the few months in 1966 when I decided to get rich by peddling drugs. Legal drugs, of course, although a short time later the company's two leading products were outlawed because their main ingredient was methamphetamine. Soon after taking the job I spent a week at the firm's plant where the joys of meth were highly praised. The company made another product we were told not to push because it could harm a person's inner workings. After more than forty years the government made it official a few days ago. Acetaminophen can do bad things to the liver. No big deal for me because I have always looked upon it as verboten.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
thehairymob
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
thehairymob

Number of posts : 890
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am

Sometimes it looks like before to long we'll even need to watch the amount of air we breath, just in case we take more than our fair share. It to will be verboten, hehehe Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.billyyoungsbooks.co.uk
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:42 am

Dick,

You, are of course, so right.

I was on Oxycodone. It is so heavily regulated you cannot have a prescription called in for it. My doctor said he was more concerned with the the acetamenophen it contained than the codeine.
Acetamenophen is an over the counter pill.

Where are our brains?

"Verboten" to think I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 12:40 pm

You really have to keep up on knowledge of these things.

Steroids were the ones that drove me crazy. True, they cured my poison ivy and took away the horrible leg pain from inflammation, but were difficult to stop using and after a few months made me feel just plain yucky.

Other verboten things I don't need to do anyway. Some I kind of like, like being able to go out to dinner without coming home with asthma from smoke-filled restaurants.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:26 pm

Dick,
From what I have observed, today there are more "verboten" things in America than in Europe. Times sure have changed.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Dick,
From what I have observed, today there are more "verboten" things in America than in Europe. Times sure have changed.

We need a reverse migration if we want freedom
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 6:29 am

Without intending to, Carol, you showed what loss of freedom can mean. Many years ago I knew a man who suffered terribly from allergies he suspected came from dairy products. For a month he gave up milk, ice cream, cheese and anything that might contain them. Then he drank a four-ounce glass of milk and fell to the floor. An ambulance crew kept him alive until he reached a hospital, where he remained for weeks.
Many people are allergic to dairy products. What would the effect be in Wisconsin if in order to protect them all food and drinks containing dairy products were declared verboten?

Abe, I agree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 am

We used to have funny laws here, as you might know since you lived here at one time. If a public place served apple pie, it had to be accompanied by cheese. Margarine was not allowed to be sold in Wisconsin. If you lived near the border you could go and purchase margarine in big buckets in Illinois. Thank goodness those laws have been changed.

I agree that I could choose not to go out to eat. I made that choice as well as chose not to go and listen to my husband play music and did not let people smoke in my house. They came anyway. I had to make decisions relative to my condition. I think we all have to know as much as we can and make decisions accordingly.

I am just glad we can eat out once in a while because I hate to cook. I think I am a burned out cook after cooking all those meals for this big family.

Today we're having a pot luck barbecue!! Not that that has anything to do with verboten laws or anything.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 8:57 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Dick,

I think you are right, Abe. 'They' (the govermment in general which is no longer 'the people') is out to regulate everything we do and everything we ingest. We are becoming a 'nanny' country.

Years ago, the few things that were verboten held the most appeal. Maybe that is how I wound up in a commune in my latter teens. Sometimes we don't know what is truly bad for us until we have been there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 10:48 am

Zada,
many of the verboten things have their origin with religious fanaticism. There has been some change in attitudes from the puritan days, but there are still many who want to control how we live. And often what appears as a good law is just another step in the process of restrictions.
I am reminded of a comment by Bob Cummings when we were traveling in Canada. Controls were being placed on small businesses and he said, "People just don't understand that for every law they pass, it takes away another freedom. They never delete an old law, but just keep adding new ones. Soon our freedom will be taken away, one justified law at a time."
He was right.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 11:41 am

While I was still married, our family spent every summer on the Gulf coast of Florida, usually in the Destin, Ft. Walton area. I remember looking over a list of rules posted on a kitchen cabinet in our condo one year. One of the rules was, "Do not feed seagulls from your patio." I was surprised to learn that some people did not realize that seagulls have alimentary canals, and that what went in would have to come out. The rule would not have been made if there had not been guests who abused a freedom.

Just a thought.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forbidden is a Dirty Word   Forbidden is a Dirty Word Empty

Back to top Go down

Forbidden is a Dirty Word
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: General :: Stodghill Says So-