Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Sun Singer

Go down 
+2
Sue
Abe F. March
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 12:21 pm

The Sun Singer by Malcolm Campbell

A most interesting and enjoyable read.
The beginning was a bit slow for me during character development, however once the stage was set, the story picked up speed and I didn’t want to lay it down. This story, a journey into another time, is uniquely crafted and would be difficult to compare with other time travel novels. The Sun Singer reflects the creative genius of Malcolm Campbell. He makes this time travel believable. I give this rising star, a five star rating.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 12:25 pm

I have read the things that Malcolm has posted. Now I want to read the whole book! Thanks for the review, Abe!
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2009-03-02

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 12:56 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/wlanerogers
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 1:04 pm

In one way I agree with you, Lane. In another I need to stand up for Abe because most of us here know Malcolm and what the book is about. We have read excerpts and blurbs. So the fact that Abe didn't put that all in his review is not surprising.

However, I do agree with you that those elements should go into a normal review.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 2:02 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Sheesh, do you practice misunderstanding people?

Okay I will clarify.

I didn't mean standing up for Abe as in a fight. I admit it was a poor choice of words.

I didn't see it as a review to peddle the book. I saw it as a review by a friend who was letting others know that he enjoyed the book of a mutual friend. Perhaps he should have taken into consideration that there are others who don't know Malcolm as well as some of us do.

By normal I meant a review that is used for promotion. I don't believe that this review was so much for promotion as it was for expressing an opinion. I could be wrong, but that was my take on it.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:03 pm

I'm not sensitive to objective criticism. I even agreed with you!

Perhaps our perceptions of certain words are different and that is what is causing the misunderstanding between us. I just get tired of trying to explain myself. Seems it is happening more and more here. Everything is dissected and confronted if perceptions aren't the same.

Maybe it is time for me to stop trying to explain myself and let people assume what they want. They will anyway.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:10 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Well, pardon me!
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:22 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes, you are! Is that writing with clarity?
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 3:32 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm not sure I want to step into this thread. It looks dangerous and I'm sure that I'll end up like Clint Eastwood's character at the end of "Gran Torino" if I venture an opinion.

While it may not have been apparent from the review, it was a copy of a review Abe placed out on Amazon. I write reviews for a print magazine. When I do, I am following the kinds of fundamentals Lane is speaking about. I will disagree on one point: the purpose of reviews is by no means to peddle books. Reviews are commentary, and often news. They are not advertising or publicity.

Nonetheless, a reviewer must always write for the market; if not a market, then for the venue. Amazon reviews are rather a horse of a different color than what you might expect to find in the New York Times or The Atlantic. For one thing, most of them are written by people who simply liked the book and want to say so. These folks are not professional reviewers; most of them don't write for a living. While some reviews there would make the grade at any reputable review market, most are casual, and many are written by friends.

Obviously, Abe can say whatever he wants, but on Amazon, when a book already has a string of reviews, there's usually not a whole lot that's new to say in terms of plot and theme. For example, I just finished reading Rachel Kushner's TELEX FROM CUBA, a book I enjoyed a lot. But when I went out on Amazon to post a review, there were already 127 reviews there, 58 of which were 5-star. At that point, it seemed a little absurd to write my standard review, that included telling people what the book was about. It had all been said already. I'm going to have to drop back and decide what, if anything, I can possibly add to the string of comments.

Now, unfortunately, "The Sun Singer" doesn't have that many reviews. It does have 16 and among all of these, most of the plot and theme information has been discussed. Lane, perhaps Abe might have said he was simply posting a copy here on an FYI basis so that everyone would know it came from Amazon where what the book was about really didn't need to be said again. Out of context, sure, it looks incomplete.

I appreciate Abe reading my book and taking the time to say something about it. I review lots of writers' books; very few ever read mine and comment on it. So when somebody does, I'm very appreciative.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 6:07 pm

Sorry, Abe and Malcolm, about the hijacking.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 7:30 pm

No worries, Sue.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Lane,
What you say is true. If I was asked to write a review I would certainly give the reader more insight about the book and what I liked or didn't like and why. To repeat what has been said by others or give the same promotional blurb is redundant.
I was never asked to write a review by anyone, however I have written numerous unsolicited reviews. They are simply my impression of the book and the rating I give it.
On Goodreads and on Amazon I have written reviews on top published authors, i.e., Dan Brown, Sam Bourne, Steve Berry, etc. My reviews are short with just a few lines. They simply tell the reader what I thought about the book and how I rate it.

On another note. If I read a book from someone I know and can't say something good about it, I don't write anything. As for top named authors on the NY TIMES best selling list, that's another matter. If I don't like it, I will say so and rate it accordingly.
It usually gets down to what we enjoy reading. To be disappointed in a book, regardless of the author's reputation, can be expressed by the reader with his/her review.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 pm

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 8:32 pm

I thought Abe was giving a personal review.

Is there a difference between a professional review and a personal review? I thought there was.

Perhaps that is how we got off on the wrong foot to begin with. My perception was different from yours and we couldn't figure that out.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Sue.
In the future, I may just post comments as "My Impression" about a book. To post something under the "Review" caption is expected to be done under specific guidelines.
I continue to read books by authors on this forum and I often give my impression about these books privately. To stop there would not give public recognition to the author's work. Positive remarks/impressions about what I've written is appreciated and I presume that is desired by any author.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 12:14 am

That is why I hesitated to post to the review area. I don't do good reviews and I didn't know where to post what I had to say. So I said nothing.

There are so many forums here that to add another one might be too much. There has to be an easy way to keep our personal views on books separate from the professional review board.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:26 am

x

Last edited by W. Lane Rogers on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 11:50 am

Perhaps you haven't heard it because in your circle they are all knowledgeable on the subject. Until recently I didn't have to be concerned with book reviews. So I didn't pay any attention to them. Now I am trying to learn all I can about them. That is why all the questions. I am not trying to demean you in any way. I just don't have the knowledge you do. The only way I am going to learn is to express myself and ask questions.

Sometimes when we cloister ourselves with peers, we don't realize that others don't have a clue until someone speaks up. I am as guilty of that as anyone. I am never afraid to ask questions.

Your expertise could be better used if you didn't get upset or express yourself in a way that made others feel you were attacking them. Your knowledge is most needed and would be more appreciated if given in a gentler way.

I respect you. I just don't like how you come across sometimes. You make people, who want knowledge, feel stupid. People don't like to be made to feel that way, so they retaliate, as I did before. Someone with credentials such as yours is respected. Its a shame you have to destroy that respect when someone isn't as knowledgeable as you.

I will refrain from asking you any more questions or asking for your expertise. Thank you for the education you have already given me.
Back to top Go down
W. Lane Rogers
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I haven't the time nor inclination to conduct simple discussions over tea and sympathy. You've exerted yourself in an effort to find offensiveness in my posts, while none was intended. Used with precision and brevity, language is an effective tool. Smothered in flowers it often is useless. If directness offends you and, apparently, it does, I suggest you avoid my posts.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Lane, you said:
Quote :
You've exerted yourself in an effort to find offensiveness in my posts, while none was intended.

That would imply that I am deliberately looking for them. I am not. How you posted is how I read it. I appreciate you telling me that none was intended. However, as you had stated to me in an earlier post,
Quote :
Writing with clarity would solve the problem.

Had the clarity been there for me to see, I might not have assumed the intent was there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Sun Singer Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Sun Singer   The Sun Singer Empty

Back to top Go down

The Sun Singer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next