Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Normal Discussions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 am

May I ask a few questions?

I am going to anyway.

Why does every thread have to get hijacked? Can't we have a normal
discussion without people sniping at others? I am really getting sick
of opening a thread to hear the information we are suppose to be
sharing only to close the thread and move onto other things , because
it doesn't resemble a sharing thread anymore. I am getting where I
dread coming here because of all the negativity. I get so tired, literally, from it.

I am sure someone will say, "then don't come here. It's your choice."
My answer will be, "there are people here I would like to keep in
contact with who have valuable knowledge that I would like to learn
from and read their works. I have made friends here. That is why I am
still here."

I am also getting to the point where I am afraid to post because I feel
I may be attacked at any moment. That is not a good feeling. That is
one of the reasons you don't see me on the forum as much. Can't we
just let people post without confrontation? There is a difference
between confrontation and asking questions. I liked the way LC asked
me about the royalties on the thread "How real publishing works".
There was no confrontation, just honest questioning. Why can't it be
more that way on the other threads?

I am probably wasting my fingers. *sigh*
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Sue,

The number of posts on the forum is now over 40,000 and last month saw a record number of posts: 5,247. Compare that with October last year with only 1,215 posts.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:56 am

Oh! So the object of this forum is not to share but to see how many posts you can get.

I understand now.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:39 am

Sue,
At one time it was a big irritant to me when a thread got off topic. Someone would take a serious thread and, i.e., mention chocolate, and the thread wound up discussing chocolate.
I decided to ignore the diversion, and if I was interested in the subject, to make a post relating to that. Usually it got back on track.

Shelagh has tried often to post an "off topic" icon, and that would work for a day, and then it was back to business as usual.

If you are interested in continuing a serious topic discussion, I suggest you respond only to the posts that relate to it. To leave a place where you have so many friends and many interesting discussions, means you would be the loser.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:44 am

Marie, no need to be sorry.

I wasn't planning to leave, Abe. Just sharing my thoughts as everyone does here.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Sue Sunshine wrote:
Oh! So the object of this forum is not to share but to see how many posts you can get.

I understand now.
Yes Sue, that's the objective. You are full of questions and members here are always willing to help as much as they can. You disappear for days or weeks at a time because of other commitments and you are welcomed back like a long lost friend. Same for everyone else.

If the threads stayed on topic and members only posted when they could add to the ongoing discussions, the forum would die and there would be no forum to come back to.

My response to complaints about how the forum is run is, and always will be, that I give as much time as I can but I, too, have other things to do. Members leave of their own accord; not a single member has been banned. I am unwilling to give any more time than I already do and if that means that I allow the forum to proceed in a way that is disagreeable to you and you expect me to do something about it then you will be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Sue, it seems that threads are a lot like conversations. As Abe mentioned, one word can lead everyone off in a new direction. I'm as guilty as anyone. Perhaps a "Let's get back on topic" post would fix the problem.

You have no need at all to fear that someone will attack you. Disagree, yes. Attack, no. Others wouldn't allow it.
The only ones who get attacked - asked to state their credentials when they act in a pompous manner might be a better way of describing it - are those who actually ask for it and expect it. They come with only one thing in mind, cause trouble and dissension.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 10:37 pm

Shelagh said:
Quote :
...and you expect me to do something about it then you will be disappointed.

Shelagh, I never asked you to do anything so there is no disappointment there. I was not complaining about the way you were running the forum, so don't take it personally. Evidently you misunderstood me. It was not about going and coming and when people can post. It was about the way the members here posted. It was more about the quality than the quantity. From what you said in your post above, I got the impression that you were more about quantity than quality. Forgive me if I didn't read that right. That is the way it appeared to me. That is why my come back to you.

Dick, Thanks for the response. I see many nice people here get attacked that don't deserve it. Yes, it is from those troublemakers you talk about. I don't have a thin skin. I walk away or just don't answer back when it has happened to me. I just don't like it and don't want to set myself up for it. That is all. I don't confront them. Let them think they are pulling the wool over my eyes or they have won. It is not that important to me what they say or think. As soon as I see their name I just don't read that post. I don't understand why others can't do the same and feed into the negativity.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 1:22 am

They are just having fun, Sue. It is pretty normal behaviour. If someone came into your local community and told everyone how much they earned and gave out facts and figures about their earnings, the folks in the area would soon start to have a laugh at his/her expense.

About the quality of posting: who am I to judge what is quality and what isn't? Do you really expect me to police the threads and decide which posts have merit and which do not?

Phil asked for an ignore button. If you want to ignore someone, click on the username to pull up the member's profile page and then click on "Add to my foes list."

Whether you misinterpreted it or not, the fact still remains that the number of posts is important. To say otherwise would be a lie. In fact, the purpose of this forum may be to "share thoughts and ideas about publishing and marketing books" but the lifeblood of the forum is in the number of posts.

The information threads on the forum are full of useful information for newcomers and visitors to read and benefit from. Many of these threads are inactive. The active threads on the Chatter Box are the ones attracting newcomers onto the forum and they provide the vitality that sustains an interest in the forum.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 6:49 am

Right again, Marie.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 am

Charming? That can be disarming.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 9:20 am

See, Sue, they can't be serious for five minutes. jocolor geek Normal Discussions 83899 Normal Discussions 892798
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 am

I tried it once. After four minutes it was becoming a bore.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I think for this group "normal" does not necessarily have the same meaning as what one would think!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Sponsored content

Normal Discussions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Normal Discussions   Normal Discussions Empty

Back to top Go down

Normal Discussions
Page 1 of 1