Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Let's Be Scared

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared EmptyWed May 27, 2009 8:42 am

A Stodghill Says So blog:

I think we have run out of new fears. If one thing remains that has not been covered it doesn't leap to mind. We have run the gamut, or so it seems to me. Food, water, tobacco, alcohol, plagues, accidents, terrorists, war, floods, famine, weather - what's left for the government, TV reporters and cops to warn us about?
Nothing, that's what. But take heart, an old one has been revived in France and they're not kidding around about it. Cell phones have been banned from primary schools. Why? Because they can cause insomnia, headaches, fatigue and cancer. The French want to protect the young kids so they now require the providers to offer handsets that allow texting only, not gabbing. There is a campaign to ban them completely for anyone under the age of 14. They are experimenting with limiting the power of transmitters and one tower had to be taken down.
I learned all this from the Irish Independent. I like to read foreign newspapers because it's amazing how much we never are told about in the U.S. of A.
Well, I'm safe. I would rather be waterboarded than forced to use a cell phone. Regular phones are annoying enough.
How about you? Been sleeping well lately? Have that tired out feeling? Get a headache now and then? Ah-ha, you've been using a cell phone.
What if the French are right? Do you know kids, or even adults, who can't put their cell phones down? If so, here's what to do: be afraid. Be scared. Be frightened. It's quite possible the French are indeed right.
If it were put to a vote, mine would be for banning cell phones all together. I'm sick of seeing people walking around with one glued to their ear. I'm tired of seeing someone punch in a number and say, "Hi, whatcha doin'?" and other important stuff like that. There oughta be a law.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared EmptyWed May 27, 2009 8:47 am

Dick

When you are right you are so right.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:33 am

Dick,
your feelings are shared by many. And yes, in Europe there is concern about all the electronic gadgets that are affecting people. There is much research underway about it. Hearing loss in kids due to the earplugs with music, etc. But if we condemn progress, we're just old-fashioned. Tonight I just saw a new invention - an electronic robot that is used as a trash container. Guess more jobs will be lost to these wonderful (necessary) inventions.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:58 am

We are going to get rid of our land phone and use only our cell phones.

They are cheap and we don't talk much by phone anymore.

I doubt the little bit we talk wlll kill us. We also will not/do not walk about with them glued to our ears.

We do not drive with them on either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared EmptyWed May 27, 2009 11:59 am

I'm closing out my land line, too. i can hardly believe I'm saying so. I hated my first two cell phones. I canceled the first one after a year. Got the second before taking a road trip alone and just kept it for emergencies. Now I'm almost an addict, but I still wouldn't use one while driving, and don't chatter on it in public places. I was never much of a phone talker anyway. I use this phone more for a shopping list than anything else.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
RunsWithScissors
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 823
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared EmptyWed May 27, 2009 12:28 pm

I purchased my cell phone for emergencies. It has no bells or whistles. I can't even download ringtones! Not that I would know how to do that anyway! Ha! I think my plan is something like $25 a month and I have 300 minutes with unlimited weekends. I almost never reach the 300 minute mark. I don't have a land line any more. It seemed silly to pay for two phones, when my cell phone was always with me. I'm one of the few folks you see pulling over to make a cell phone call and then it's only if I'm late or need to get directions. I'm like Marie, there is one spot in my apartment where I get good reception. If the weather is perfect, even then it's a bit iffy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Let's Be Scared Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Be Scared   Let's Be Scared Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Be Scared
Page 1 of 1