Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Book sale rankings

Go down 
+2
Abe F. March
builder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 6:14 am

Hi

I have a question about sales rankings such as Amazon. Do they reflect actual sale rankings or is it just a marketing thing? And if so, is it only calculated by amazon sales alone or not?

If someone has actual experience and can reveal their financial rewards in reflection to rankings, that would be very helpful?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks for your reply. Are you a writer of fiction or non fiction? Am going to take a guess from your picture. If it is you, I think fiction right? Maybe Thriller genre or romance? Tell me if am wrong..lol.

Again Thanks for your reply
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

Careful Marie,
someone may write a romance novel about you. Fiction of course,Embarassed to be safe.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Oh, thats good. Since you have done ghost writing, I have another question for you. I want to write a book for someone which means ghostwriting but the publisher may not know about it. Because its for someone I know. Can that be done? Or do I need to tell the publisher that its my friend's book but I will be the one writing it?
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Oh. thats interesting. So even the publisher does not know that the book was ghost written. Very secretive. Never knew it worked that way. I know that celebs get their books ghost written and other people but I always thought the publisher was involved.

Yeah I think that would be a better option for me to co author the book although I will be doing the most and maybe all of the writing. What if I did all the writing and it was for the book of my friend and we were going to have both our names on it?

Am sorry for these questions but publishing is so new to me.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm

My friend's engish is rather limited when it comes to writing. So not sure how it would work. I guess I will just wait and see..I have a few more ideas for books.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 am

Another thing is that I have noticed some books that seem to always have a good rank while some other books are over 200K rank on the same subject. Although the author who is rank 200 thousand looks a little bit more credible. Does this have something do with which publisher you go with?

Or is it just luck, that your book sells and gets a good rank while others with the same subject, similar or even better credibility to write the book may not get a good a rank as your title?

Or it could be that amazon ranks does not represent true sales at all. I guess only a writer who has received past royalties would know the real difference. I will just have to wait.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 9:00 am

Amazon ranks are calculated every hour based on the number of books sold. The longer it is since one of your books sold, the lower the rank (higher the number, e.g. Amazon ranking: 1,003,534). When one book sells the ranking shoots up (lower number, e.g. Amazon ranking: 645,345) and slowly drops day by day back to over a million. If two books sell the ranking will shoot up even higher to, say, 346,123. If eleven books sell in a short period of time the ranking may go to 16,124 or higher and then slowly drop down again. After a period of no sales the ranking will drop even lower than one million+ to maybe 2,345,612 and even lower as sales dry up. Then, with just one sale, the ranking will shoot up again and drop back within a matter of days.

It is normal to become obsessive about the rankings but once you can stop checking and use your time for promotion/marketing/writing, you will wonder why you became so obsessed!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Oh thanks for that Admin. I understand more now. But some titles (not famous people) are always at around the 10000 rank. So not sure.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 pm

The only ranks that stay constant are the bestsellers (top 100). The rest go up and down. Give me the titles that remain around 10,000 and, over a period ot time, I will check to see if you are right.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 12:38 pm

I believe you are right. I do not monitor what the ranks for those books over the course of the year.
Back to top Go down
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:01 am

sale ranking currently at about 7thousand. How many books do you think are being sold?
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 pm

Two probably: one to your mum and one to your grandma.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 3:05 pm

You're not being nice, Shelagh. For shame.
Book sale rankings 472940
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 3:07 pm

She is being honest. One sale can take you from a million or more ranking into the thousands. It all depends on what else is selling at the moment. And in an hour, you can be right back up into the big numbers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
builder
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Shelagh..haha.

Ranking in last few days been in ten thousand to 15thousand mark. Never been over million. From what I have observed, never been over 100 thousand. (Did when first put on amazon, ok) Sometimes go back up to 50 thousand. But then goes back to 10-20 thousand.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 4:10 pm

I think you should be honest with us and post the title and author of the book. If you want information, you must give information.
Back to top Go down
Phillip

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 6:59 pm

My PA book over a 14 month period sold 271 copies. A few from Barnes and Noble but most were through Amazon.com. There were some months when sales ran 30 copies a month.

The book during those "heavy" sales months ranked between the high tens of thousands and the low hundreds of thousands.

What is odd is that when my contract was terminated it took over a year for my ranking to hit nine hundred thousand. There was not one single sale.

Now, without a sale in three years my books ranks 1,789,634!

My point is that I could not and can not find any meaning at all in the Amazon rankings...LOL
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Phillip, you are not alone, and it shows just how meaningful the ranking system on Amazon really is (read that 'isn't').
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings EmptySat May 02, 2009 7:33 am

I view sales rank on Amazon similar to Page Rank on Google. Both are neat to look at, but mean little.
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Book sale rankings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Book sale rankings   Book sale rankings Empty

Back to top Go down

Book sale rankings
Page 1 of 1