Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Forming your own publishing company

Go down 
+5
mjgoodnow
Sue
lin
RetiredName
Malcolm
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Forming your own publishing company Empty
PostSubject: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 6:44 am

Hi,

I'm aware that some members here have started their own publishing companies. I've been reluctant to do this because it sounded like adding a lot more work to, say, the process of simply going through Book Locker or iUniverse with uncertain benefits in return. But, I'm considering it.

I have tons of questions.

1. Is your company an imprint name that you use while having printing and fulfillment handled by a company like Outskirts Press or Lulu, or is it a true company (sole proprietor, partnership or corporation)?

2. If your company is an imprint only, how did you order the ISBN numbers with no real company to own them?

3. As an author only, I don't need a business license. If I set up a company, I do need one, and that means--at the very least--a different kind of tax filing with the IRS as well as a local fee in the town where I live. If you set up a true company, was it worth it in spite of these costs and hassles?

4. Is anyone here going directly to Lightning Source. If so, what are the advantages to doing that rather than going through Outskirts Press?

5. Does having your own imprint get your book in doors that an iUniverse or Book Locker book can't get in. That is, will reviewers who don't normally consider self-published books look at your book.

6. If you go through Lulu or Outskirts Press, how do you handle returns? Or do you need to go through a place like Lightning Source for a viable return policy.

7. Is anyone here doing everything, i.e., getting your own printer and handling distribution directly.

8. Is anyone here publishing the books of other authors in addition to their own and having to deal with royalty agreements, etc.

9. Anything else I need to be thinking about?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 am

I can answer some questions and I'll leave the rest smarter people than I on this matter.

You publishing company can be a partnership, sole ownership or corporation. In places like Lulu or CreateSpace you can get an ISBN that indentifies your publishing house, You don't have to use their ISBN.

Get your book reviewed and in bookstiores means following the standard publishing model: send out ARCs to reviewers, editorial gatekeeping, standard discounts (starting at 40% off the cover price, 90 days net), accept full returns.

How you get your books printed doesn't determine self publishing or not, but the overall business cost. It's cheaper, per unit, to use an offset press when you start going to print runs over something like 100 copies or so. Many small presses use lightning source to print their books for them, but they aren't print on demand.

That should get you started.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

Number of posts : 2753
Registration date : 2008-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 am

Quote :
I'll leave the rest smarter people than I on this matter.

You're getting smarter already.

The real expert on this here is flashgordon...hopefully he will see this.

Quote :
1. Is your company an imprint name that you use while having printing and fulfillment handled by a company like Outskirts Press or Lulu, or is it a true company (sole proprietor, partnership or corporation)?

2. If your company is an imprint only, how did you order the ISBN numbers with no real company to own them?

3. As an author only, I don't need a business license. If I set up a company, I do need one, and that means--at the very least--a different kind of tax filing with the IRS as well as a local fee in the town where I live. If you set up a true company, was it worth it in spite of these costs and hassles?

4. Is anyone here going directly to Lightning Source. If so, what are the advantages to doing that rather than going through Outskirts Press?

5. Does having your own imprint get your book in doors that an iUniverse or Book Locker book can't get in. That is, will reviewers who don't normally consider self-published books look at your book.

6. If you go through Lulu or Outskirts Press, how do you handle returns? Or do you need to go through a place like Lightning Source for a viable return policy.

7. Is anyone here doing everything, i.e., getting your own printer and handling distribution directly.

8. Is anyone here publishing the books of other authors in addition to their own and having to deal with royalty agreements, etc.

1. You can handle the account and tax, etc. any way you like. You could just report all income on your own tax number. The account let me stress here, should be with Lightning Source, unless you like spending more money than you have to. Many presses in the USA use LCC

2. Not sure what you mean by "imprint only".

3. I think this might depend on where you live. And maybe the amounts of money involved. I don't see why you couldn't just do it as your own business, like any guy selling hotdogs on the mall.

4. Immense advantages. Drawback is you need $300 worth of ISBN's and need to know what you're doing. More than I do at this point. Again, flash is your man on this.
You're assuming POD=self-publshing, by the way. There are other ways to get books out. Like having them printed on presses.

5. Your own label doesn't have the perjorative stamp of lulu or PA or iUniverse, but is also an unknown quality to physical stores. Might be an advantage, in some cases. (I.E. you live in Niagara Falls and publish books for tourists and your company is named Niagara Falls Press)

6. I think returns are up to you. If you can make people believe you'll eat unsold books, you can always sell them used of ebay or amazon or something if you get them back.
An alternative to this is consignment.
(Actually, open return policy isn't much different from consignment, is it? Just more paperwork and confusion.)

7. I have a couple of titles that I do everything from write to print to collage and bind to distribute to stores. It's a pain in the neck. Also kind of fun. This works because the titles are unique, highly niche-oriented, and inexpensive.
I know a guy who did it with novels. Had 5000 printed and sold them out of his car, at swap meets, on the streets. His title got picked up by Schusters at one point.

8. I have done this in the past. It wasn't too difficult because I am sloppy and cheat and scoff red tape and laws in general. I might not be the best mentor on the subject.

9. God yes. It doesn't matter how much your think of, there is always something else lurking in the shadows with designs on biting your ass.

There are people on here who have done things closer to what I think you are asking about. Hopefully they will clue you in. Flashgordon is the man. Place offerings at his feet and open your third eye to his wisdom.
Back to top Go down
http://linrobinson.com
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 6:13 pm

I appreciate the advice. Still not sure. I know I don't want to go iUniverse-type route again. Lightning source has a good site and I think I remember seeing something there about returns: I know I don't want them coming to my house or my PO box number. Oh hell, maybe there just won't be any returns.

Thanks, Guys.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:00 pm

I agree that Flashgordon is the expert. I go to him with my questions. It was his contract that I used for my authors.

I am a sole proprietorship. I am a true publishing business and have a business license.

I use Lightning Source as my main 'printer' because they get me into the Ingram catalog and other perks. I like them. Have a good relationship with them. I will have to find another printer for my workbook, though, as it will have a CD in it. I don't know anything about Outskirts Press so can't comment on that. I just know I am very happy with LSI.

Because I am a business and not just an author I was able to get my ISBN directly from Bowkers.

I have two signed contracts with authors. I tell them upfront what I can't, at this time, give them, but also tell them what I can give them that perhaps the bigger companies won't. I am upfront with it all. I work with royalties.

I originally started the company for my own books. However, other books came to me and I discovered that they are part of what I am suppose to be doing. I didn't force the issue. I am learning the writing/publishing from the groundup and as thoroughly as possible. I think it has been worth it for me. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Being a legitimate company opens doors for reviewers, book stores, etc. that wouldn't be available otherwise.

I do take returns. I give 50% to bookstores for the first 9 months and then reduce it to 40%. Libraries get 40% right off the bat.

You really need to be thinking about WHY you want to start a company, and IF you want to publish others, before you start. Once you open that door for other authors, you are committed and can't backdown. That was a warning I was given when I was contemplating having a company and eventually decided to publish other authors.

If you decide to start your own company, make sure you research it all. Dan Poynter's book about starting a company is a good place to start. That is where I started. Make sure the name and logo are not already taken and represent what your company is all about.

I hope I have answered all your questions. If not, please feel free to re-ask or email me. Again, Flashgordon, to me, is an expert. A lot of what I know has come from him. His help has gotten me to where I am today.

Best Wishes to you, Malcolm. My door is always open to you!
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:10 pm

You do NOT need $300 in isbn's. I didn't!!!! I am going to get a block of 10 now that I have other authors that are going to need them for me publishing their books.

On Returns from LSI:
If you specify returns you can get them two different ways. They are returned to LSI and destroyed.
OR
They are returned and LSI sends them to you. This is how I am having it done because then I can resell them. I will tell you why.

LSI charges you a set amount on any books returned. Mine is $2.00 a book. If you do not have them sent to you they destroy them and you still have to pay that $2.00. So I have them send the books to me. What they do, though, is destroy the books returned to them and reprint that number of books and send them to me. I get all new books and all I pay is the original $2.00 that I would have to pay anyway and the cost of shipping to my home. They won't send to a P. O. Box (I don't think). I then have only paid $2.00 plus shipping for the books and can charge differently or less for those books and still make a profit.

Any other questions?
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 pm

A year ago my local Barnes and Noble ordered 50 books for my booksigning. As if I was going to sell that many. Ya, Right! Sheesh! Anyway, they returned 1/2 of them after keeping some in the store to sell as well. So that may be where the returns come in, not back from readers but back from stores. Just wanted to add that.
Back to top Go down
mjgoodnow
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
mjgoodnow

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 am

Wow,

Sue that is a great deal of information. I wanted to start my own company as a franchise on just one idea...but I guess you cannot do that if your a publisher but can do it as a media franchise Smile

BTW your website is absolutely gorgeous and I hope you enjoy my message to your submission email Smile
Back to top Go down
http://regimeguard.net
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 8:22 am

If you are thinking of setting up an LLC I would really suggest a stop by Steve's site.

He sells downloadable kits that guide you through the process for each individual state. They cost from $25-50

http://www.redtechpress.com/%5Credtechpress%5Cdefault.htm

What I would do first of all is go talk to your local city hall about a business license. That might be all you'd need. They can probably help you figure out if you need to create an entity or just run it off your own SSN.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 8:24 am

Ah, true Sue. You can buy single ISBN's. But since they cost about half of what a block of ten cost, I generally assume people will go the mass route.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks for the great advice, Sue. When it comes down to it, I really don't want to do this at all; so, if I do, publishing others is something I would probably avoid.

On the other hand, I do want GARDEN OF HEAVEN published, and if 240,000 words is just too long for an agent of a mainstream company to consider, I'd rather create a company and publish it than go the iUniverse route again. (I had no problems with iUniverse, it's just that books going that route don't have an even playing field in the marketplace.)

Thanks for that link, Lin.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 am

Malcolm,

Try finding a small publishing house in your genre that doesn't require an agent. I am sure they are out there. Perhaps Flashgordon/Peter can help you on that.
Back to top Go down
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am

If it's just a one-book deal, much of this might be overkill.

You might consider this outfit

http://www.atlasbooks.com

They are like a distributor. I've seen two people in the last few months order books printed in Asia and shipped over. If you can get books and hook them up with somebody like this atlas outfit, you're in business.

On the other hand, perhaps something like CreateSpace? Or Kindle?
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm

I've had books published a variety of ways. I had a publishing company as part of my business for publishing my books for schools. We had the books printed, carried them to the office, sent them out etc. A manual I co-wrote is published and distributed by an organization in Minneapolis that sends us royalties once a year on books sold. When I published my small book with Lulu at Christmas time, I put Golden Footprints Press as the publisher which is an imprint I guess, since it is only a name. However, that publisher gets mail at my address. And then I've had a book published with PA. It has been interesting to say the least.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
RetiredName
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 859

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 pm

I think if I were to do a publishing house, I'd probably do ebooks.
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Nice imprint name, Carol.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:43 pm

You can't break your book down into volumes?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 pm

My company name is Weaving Dreams Publishing because it isn't only about publishing. It is about helping authors achieve their dreams through their writing. I help if I can, whether I publish them or not.
Back to top Go down
mjgoodnow
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
mjgoodnow

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Just a small suggestion.
Break it down into Volumes as DK had said.

I had to this with my Bible of Regime Guard Marie and I are working on.
Back to top Go down
http://regimeguard.net
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:38 pm

That really is a pretty great idea. In fact, I'd consder like 3 Volumes of 80,000 or 4 of 60,000

That way you are getting some pretty cheap books to produce. It would cost MUCH less for people to give you a shot. And if they liked it, you be selling them a series and making more money than with one tome.

AND the series of releases would create renewed opportunities for promo, news releases, etc. And each volume (and attendant publicity) would have the blurbs and endorsement/reviews of the previous volumes.

I think it's the hot setup for you, seriously. Send dkchristi a cigar.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:43 pm

Good concept! It is something to think about for sure.

Boy, you guys are good! *grin*
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 am

A highly complex puzzle of a book cannot easily be split into two books. Even if it could be, I wouldn't do it, because that serves no artistic purpose.

As I mentioned on another forum where the same idea came up, my novel is shorter than Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and many others on my book shelf; it's 100,000 words shorter than most of the volumes in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. So, we're not really talking about something endless like "A Remembrance of Things Past" kind of book.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 11:34 am

If production cost is no object and you don't think size is daunting to your readership, go for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
lin
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
lin

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Well, "splittability" can't be decide upon by anybody but the writer, of course. But complex books can be divided: I've done it.

Especially if it's a Vol I sort of thing. Nobody was so disappointed in the first LOTR movie ending nowhere that they didn't buy tickets to the next one.

I often say that one thing self-publishing at any scale does for you is make it easier to understand what publishers are up to. (To an extent :-)

You could load your book up on lulu and find out what it would cost to print the whole thing.

Then load up a quarter or third of it and see what that would have to sell for. Might get you thinking.
Back to top Go down
flashgordon
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 241

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:30 am

I hope this is readable inside the quotes.

Malcolm wrote:
Hi,

A true company. Outskirts Press will not let you use them as an imprint, and Lulu would not like it but you might be able to get away with it. Buy a block of ISBNs, set up an LLC, and publish through LSI.

You can't get ISBNs as an imprint only. You first need to set up a publishing company, and then under that company's ISBN you can request an imprint set of ISBNs.

Yes, you have to pay your taxes differently. One for you, and one for your company. Not that big of deal, especially if you use TurboTax or something like that. It will walk you through all those steps pretty easily.

I use LSI. The advantages are huge: you set your retail price, your wholesale price, your discount, your distribution through the US, UK, Europe, and soon Canada. You get complete control over your layout, design, interior, exterior, etc. You make more money because there is no middle person.

Yes, if you have your own publishing company and set up your discount and price structure correctly, it will open doors that are automatically closed because of

Lulu and Outskirts don't do returns. Lighting Source allows you to set that option.

I do everything, from typesetting, layout, design, distribution, printing (via LSI), and much, much more.

Yes, I do this. I give a very nice royalty to my authors that makes it easy for them to understand and allows for ease on both ends.

Marketing, marketing, marketing...

Thanks,

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://newgreatbooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forming your own publishing company   Forming your own publishing company Empty

Back to top Go down

Forming your own publishing company
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next