Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Stay out of the Sun!

Go down 
+4
Betty Fasig
Sue
JoElle
Dick Stodghill
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Stay out of the Sun! Empty
PostSubject: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 am

Another Stodghill Says So blog:
I'm hurting and nobody cares. Well, I care and Jackie probably cares because I'm as grumpy as a bear poked with a stick. The anesthetic has worn off after the doc dug out more of the skin cancer on the back of my left hand. Biopsies showed the first two times didn't get the job done so I hit the trifecta today. This time he dug so deep I was expecting the scalpel to come out on my palm.
Some people think skin cancer is no big deal. It is. I've had a couple of dozen of them and this ranks second on the discomfort list. So far. It may end up beating out the one that had me digging out stuff every day for six weeks before it finally healed. That was good because much more and the country might have run short on cue tips and peroxide, not to mention bandages and tape.
They tell you to stay out of the sun when you're young or you will eventually pay the price. But how do you do that? Sun blocker helps, or so they say, but I don't believe they even had it during my younger days. If they had, I seldom would have been in a position to apply it.
Those tanning beds - only a fool would get near one. They have done wonders for making dermatologists wealthy and making those who use them suffer in the long run.
So use the sun blocker. Better yet, look on the sun as an enemy because it is. Avoiding being out in it, no one seems to have an answer as to how that is accomplished. I can assure you of one thing, though, squamous cell carcinoma is no joke. Avoid it like the plague. I'd be in a better mood today if I had.
Stay out of the Sun! 514350
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Other than a few minutes a day to ensure I get my vitamin D, I pretty much avoid the sun.

Glad I drive the night shift.

Sun is too bright and too hot for me.

I like the moon.
Back to top Go down
Sue
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Sue

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm

I am sending you positive thoughts, Dick. I am so sorry you are in pain and that you had to go through what you have been going through. I guess you could say you are a facilitator for the rest of us. Stay out of the Sun lesson.

Take care!
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 5:30 pm

Dear Dick,
My whole life has been in the sun. Arizona and now in Florida. Work has kept me there.

I know about skin cancer because of my David. He had a mole on his back. Just a small one. It started looking a little white to me. He went to the doctors and had four inches deep cut out of his back. It was in the third stage.

He is fine now.

I am sorry that you are in pain. I am glad that you have Jackie and the little ones to love you.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 am

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Because of them I probably will not bite the mailman or speak harshly to little hamster Sophie when she begs for a treat. The squirrels . . . well, I'd shake my fist at them but it hurts too much.
Stay out of the Sun! 921805
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 6:37 am

It's funny how things change with time. Not so very long ago, having a tanned skin was looked down on because it meant you worked outdoors rather than in an office. Then, having a tan meant you had enough leisure time to spend at swimming pools and on beaches, so it became "in." Now that we recognize the danger, we are going back the other way.

Take care of yourself, Dick. We need you here.

Ann
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 7:15 am

I guess I am fairly lucky. I've never had an outdoor job except at night (can one obtain a moon tan?) As a young woman, I think I was pretty much 'frog belly white', and stayed out of the sun due to heat discomfort and a fear of turning into one big freckle.

Gram always wore long sleeved shirts outside in the garden and a wide brimmed hat. She was trying to not get any more freckles (she had lots of them all over) but was actually wiser than she knew.

I have a straw hat or two just in case I have to be out in the sun, and I take massive doses (Dr.'s orders) of calcium and D to ward off osteoporosis. I am so sorry for your pain Dick, and don't want to be able to empathize. Just don't take it out on poor little Sophie or Jackie. They might bite back!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am

Good advice Dick.
I suppose trying to look good can cause you to look bad. But it's not only looking bad but can be life threatening. I think I'd rather take the risk of drinking while sitting in the shade, than sitting in the sun, sweating and burning my skin.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! EmptyWed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 am

Dick,

I hope you are better fast.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stay out of the Sun!   Stay out of the Sun! Empty

Back to top Go down

Stay out of the Sun!
Page 1 of 1