Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Question about writing a tv story?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Carmine

Carmine

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-12

Question about writing a tv story? Empty
PostSubject: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 am

I know the subject does not make sense , but lately I seen a lot of sci-fi books from different authors based on star trek or star wars , and I have a few stories I did based on a TV show that was based in New Zealand , I posted the stories on there fan web page and have gotten some good comments in the past , but what if I wanted the stories published in a short story book?

One fan who was very good contacted the TV studio about her stories and she wanted to do that , and was rejected because the show was still going , but now the show has ended and the studio is not planning on continuing the series, Should I contact the studio to see if they will give me permission to pursue on my story or should I stop now and move to something else?

My Story is like a continuation of the show , but it goes in another direction then what the show did , so what are my chances and please be blunt , I will fill you in on more if you need more info on the show.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 7:51 am

Hi Carmine,

Was the TV series produced in NZ? The present strike by film and TV writers in the US has made things difficult for everyone in the industry so this is probably not a good time to approach any studios.

~Shelagh
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 8:22 am

Shelagh wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Was the TV series produced in NZ? The present strike by film and TV writers in the US has made things difficult for everyone in the industry so this is probably not a good time to approach any studios.

~Shelagh
Yes it was produced in NZ , but I don't want to write a tv show , just a book a small sci-fi story
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 9:12 am

If you must use the same characters as in the TV series, you'll have to contact the studio. Otherwise, write your stories with different characters and plots that, although based on the TV series, are stand-alone characters and original plots.

Good luck with the book!
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
George Maciver
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

Number of posts : 376

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 am

Yes, whoever publishes you will need rights. I've a young friend in Canada who writes Tomb Raider fiction and who was told by someone in Eidos that if she found a company interested in publishing her stories to give him a call. Two years later she actually did find a publisher who was interested. However, her contact in Eidos has moved to another company and the woman now dealing with rights told her none were available. Needless to say she was devastated. She has got over her disappointment now and still writes. Her time will come.

Getting published seems to be a never ending obstacle course of impossible looking hurdles. It isn't for the faint hearted.
Back to top Go down
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 12:45 pm

Shelagh wrote:
If you must use the same characters as in the TV series, you'll have to contact the studio. Otherwise, write your stories with different characters and plots that, although based on the TV series, are stand-alone characters and original plots.

Good luck with the book!
I am a little nervous on contacting the studio right now so far I believe there moving to australia the Studio is called cloud Nine I am working on animating the story in a short movie , either way if I don't get it publish at least they might be interested in making an animation? or win a contast?
Back to top Go down
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 12:55 pm

George Maciver wrote:
Yes, whoever publishes you will need rights. I've a young friend in Canada who writes Tomb Raider fiction and who was told by someone in Eidos that if she found a company interested in publishing her stories to give him a call. Two years later she actually did find a publisher who was interested. However, her contact in Eidos has moved to another company and the woman now dealing with rights told her none were available. Needless to say she was devastated. She has got over her disappointment now and still writes. Her time will come.

Getting published seems to be a never ending obstacle course of impossible looking hurdles. It isn't for the faint hearted.

That I do know I met a person who wrote about sailing ships of the 18th century and he told me not to expect to have it published just like that , you have to climb mountains he said to me , I am a realist I know that if I do finish the first chapter , and the studio rejects me to go any further , then I will have to think of something to continue , I hope
Back to top Go down
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySun Jan 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Ok well I sent them a letter and now I have to wait , wish me luck if they say yes I would be estatic but if I crash and burn , do I continue in hopes that they would except or give up , I mean there are from New Zealand and Australia , and I am here in the US, and I could apply to Dreamworks and Pixar on the idea? but still give them credit, is that bad? I'm just asking
Back to top Go down
jacigwyn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySat Jan 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Smile

As the stories have already been published to the Net there may be a copywrite problem for book format. 'First Rights' have now gone, I believe. However, I may be wrong. It's best to check out this aspect.

Smile
Back to top Go down
jck200
One Star Member
One Star Member
jck200

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 12:05 pm

I think I see what you mean, after series has finished a lot of fans would like to know what happened to the characters and there would seem to be a huge scope for this considering all the series that have finished.

Why not make a list of all past series you are interesed in and applying to as many as possible?

Ok you may not get the one you want but by sending for lots you may well get a few licences.

best wishes from john
Back to top Go down
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 4:55 pm

jck200 wrote:
I think I see what you mean, after series has finished a lot of fans would like to know what happened to the characters and there would seem to be a huge scope for this considering all the series that have finished.

Why not make a list of all past series you are interesed in and applying to as many as possible?

Ok you may not get the one you want but by sending for lots you may well get a few licences.

best wishes from john

Thanks so far nothing has happen , and I am tempted to send another letter ,I mean many fans on this paticular show were upset that it had ended
Back to top Go down
George Maciver
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 1:07 am

I once waited 9 months to hear back after submitting a finished manuscript to a publisher. And it was a rejection. I'm afraid if you're expecting things in this industry to happen overnight, you're going to be very disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Carmine

Carmine

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 6:46 pm

George Maciver wrote:
I once waited 9 months to hear back after submitting a finished manuscript to a publisher. And it was a rejection. I'm afraid if you're expecting things in this industry to happen overnight, you're going to be very disappointed.

Hey I know how the real world works and I am not expected instant message here. if it happens then it happens , if I wait a year then a year has pass , but I am not going to wait for that one item , I have others to send elsewhere , and maybe other ways to do it , one friend I know decided to make his own publishing company to start , I would not go that far , but I do know that maybe he might , and I do mean Might see mine and decided.

because one door is shut there many more to try to walk threw
Back to top Go down
George Maciver
Four Star Member
Four Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 am

That's for sure! Don't ever lose that attitude.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about writing a tv story?   Question about writing a tv story? Empty

Back to top Go down

Question about writing a tv story?
Page 1 of 1