Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Dawning of a New Day in America

Go down 
+13
pjlawton
JoElle
Shelagh
P. Gordon Kennedy
A Ahad
alice
zadaconnaway
Carol Troestler
Pam
E. Don Harpe
Abe F. March
Don Stephens
Dick Stodghill
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

Number of posts : 4017
Registration date : 2008-01-16

The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 1:35 pm

You know, I did not vote for Obama, but I don't hold his election against anyone. Perhaps those other voters have a wisdom I do not possess. I did not take political science in school. I don't bemoan the fact, or push that there is anything wrong with the election or other voters. We are all entitled to hold our own opinions. We all see the world with different eyes and have had different experiences. That is what makes life so interesting.

Now that the election is over, I plan to honor the results and support our new president. I have pinned my hopes on him, as have other Americans. My 'big girl panties' have been pulled up, and I join my friends in praising the results. It was a fair election and now we must all go forward in hope and friendship.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zadaconnaway.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

Number of posts : 3827
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 pm

I think half my family voted for McCain, but they voted and that is what is important. And we still love each other, and we're hopeful.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 3:53 pm

It's not just here in this forum that many disappointed Republicans are going on the attack. Like Melinda and PJ, they're bemoaning the fact that McCain didn't win the election, and spouting prophesies of gloom and doom. It doesn't matter how reasoned the response from some of us is, they are determined to remain negative and to keep bringing up how bad they think the country is going to be under the leadership of Obama.

I have stated many times and in many places that I was not for Obama, I wanted Hillary to win the nomination, but when she didn't I realized that Obama was the only smart choice one could make. McCain would have been more of the same old failed policies of the Bush administration, and I don't think we could have stood that.

I do not plan to live in fear, neither for myself or for America, and I know that Obama will do as good a job of protecting us as Bush has done. Naysayers should state their opinion, and allow us to do the same, without all of the hate speech that has been going on with the right wing during this election.
Back to top Go down
http://www.donharpe.com
pjlawton

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 4:08 pm

You know, Mister Harpe, I don't ususally name names but let me set YOU straight. I never said I even read the post by this Melinda person, nor have I said I voted for McCain, in fact I didn't. However, you liberals all asume that you are the only ones that have anything worthwhile to say. That was the point I was trying to make. I guess you didn't or at least chose not to understand it. This country has lived through almost eight years of evil and vile Bush bashing and hatemongering by you and your friends. Gee, wonder why some folks are a little bitter. I have said nothing against your guy, nor do I intend to so give it a rest. And thats all I have to say about that.  
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 4:27 pm

Dear Phil,
Your teeth are showing!

When any animal wants to let their enemy know they are big and bad, they show their teeth. Most of the time, the teeth are not a protection just an intimidation.

I do not think that anyone was on the attack for your opinion. You have one, I have one, E Don has one, Shelagh has one, and on it goes. We all have our opinion. Mine does not have to agree with your's or Don's or Carol's or anyone's. That is democracy and the way it works. We all agree to be different and live with each other in the same country. We, each and every one, think that someone of our choice would be a better president. Some of our opinions are shared by enough people to make a president elect. That is the way it goes.

Thank the Good God Above, that we do not all have to bow down to one person's idea of the way it should be. Does Hitler ring a bell here? That was fear of free thought and expression where every one would have to agree with ..the person who thought they were right....Hitler. I am glad to have a free voice and the freedom to express it here, or there, or anywhere.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 5:09 pm

Those of you who have been on other boards where I posted and where infighting broke out know that I am not always a meek mannered, tongue in cheek kind of guy. I tend to strike back harder than I am attacked, and I do not hesitate in saying what I want to say. However, I have maintained my composure here, in spite of wanting to say what I really think, and I will continue to do so.

I will address only two of the things PJ posted, and I will do so with reason in my voice, and a song in my heart.

One, he addresses me, and the others here, as “you liberals” while at the same time accusing me, or us, of making assumptions. I find that quite humorous.

Two, he says, and I quote; “This country has lived through almost eight years of evil and vile Bush bashing and hatemongering by you and your friends.” Which of course, is yet another assumption. I have to say, in defense of clear thinking liberals everywhere, that I doubt that there was one single word of hatemongering or vile Bush bashing that wasn’t deserved. Bush has brought this country to her knees, ruined our reputation around the world, and has led us into ruin. That isn’t bashing or hatemongering, it’s cold hard facts, and the problem with PJ and his like minded right wing fanatics is that they simply don’t know how to apologize for all that’s happened and move on.
Back to top Go down
pjlawton

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 5:36 pm

I love good talking points from MoveOn.org and the Daily Kos. Well done.
Back to top Go down
pjlawton

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I'm through. I've had enough. You can keep you forum, and welcome to it. One last thing, I glad you are having a good laugh. Oh yeah, another great liberal move. Call someone names, make assumptions, then when they respond, claim they are attacking you. --- In case you have forgotten, here’s what you had to say about me.
If you had disagreed with her views, which it seems that you don't, what would you have said, and how would you have said it?”---
“It's not just here in this forum that many disappointed Republicans are going on the attack. Like Melinda and PJ, they're bemoaning the fact that McCain didn't win the election”Talk about assumptions, what a joke. I never mentioned any names until I was attacked TWICE. Maybe not an attack in Liberal America, but, we ain’t there yet.
Oh yeah, and have a nice day, 
Back to top Go down
Phil Whitley
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Phil Whitley

Number of posts : 907
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:43 pm

In all my years of BBS's, YaHoo groups and other discussion venues, I decided early on to never
get involved in religious or political discussions. It always ends
badly, just like in the 3D, meatspace world. There is nothing you can
say or do to change anyone's mind about either, and I ain't changing.
It usually winds up just like the 'discussion" above.

Remember when we talked about writing, marketing, food, animals and things like that?

What is my religion? If I tried to explain you would probably call me a pagan (or worse).

Who did I vote for? Why do they call it a "secret ballot"? (But I DID vote!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.philwhitley.com
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:46 pm

Now, I've become even more convinced that the far right wing is in the wrong. We need to look forward to the future and not waste energy trying to bring back the past. America needs a new vision, not more of the same.The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 748523
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
P. Gordon Kennedy

Number of posts : 1076
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Phil Whitley wrote:
In all my years of BBS's, YaHoo groups and other discussion venues, I decided early on to never
get involved in religious or political discussions. It always ends
badly, just like in the 3D, meatspace world. There is nothing you can
say or do to change anyone's mind about either, and I ain't changing.
It usually winds up just like the 'discussion" above.

Remember when we talked about writing, marketing, food, animals and things like that?

What is my religion? If I tried to explain you would probably call me a pagan (or worse).

Who did I vote for? Why do they call it a "secret ballot"? (But I DID vote!)

There are two topics which people seem to always fight about. They are politics and religion. I have stated my religious/spiritual views in my "nature of god" thread under the religion and spirituality section and one can see my political views in my previous posts in this thread.

P.S. In my opinion, being a pagan is much, much better than being a right wing religious fundamentalist.
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 7:31 pm

Carol Troestler wrote:
I have been reading articles online this morning and this one by Peggy Wallace, whose parents were both governors and segregationists, is beautiful. She speaks of having voted for Obama and the progress our country has made since her father's segregationist views, even how his views changed after he became disabled after being shot.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/03/wallace.kennedy.obama/index.html

That is a great article, Carol. I was in Alabama 1969-1971 and remember the hatred that was spewed into the airwaves. It was unbelievable to me. I am so glad Mr. Wallace came to his senses. He was a man of remarkable influences.
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 7:49 pm

The problem here seems to be we all are lumped together, when many of us have tried to explain we aren't liberal or conservative, but unique individuals with unique ideas and perspectives. We did not all vote for the same candidate. That is the way it is supposed to be in a democracy. And we can change points of view as George Wallace did.

We write a few hundred words and are all chastised as bad liberals no matter what we said.

I understand being angry at Bush, but I also pity him. The man looks like he is ninety years old and not happy. Only after the fact, when documents are released revealing the history of our country, will we really know what went on in this administration behind closed doors.

Carol
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Carol, your beautiful light is shining!! You just can't hide it!
Back to top Go down
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Carol Troestler

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 5:22 am

Zada,

I think we "should" talk about politics, or religion. How are we going to learn or help our country unless we talk about it?

We hear of senators and representatives being friends with those in the opposite party with opposing beliefs. People CAN have opposing points of view and be friends. But it takes speaking facts that have been checked and re-checked, and showing respect for others. I believe it is the differences that make this country great. It is not always trying to convince or change another's opinion, but each learning.

Now sometimes people feel that if they speak respectfully and quietly they will not be heard. Melinda turned up the volume and we all heard her, so if that is what she wanted, she was successful.

Carol
Back to top Go down
zadaconnaway
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
zadaconnaway

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 5:46 am

You are so right, Carol. I learn much from those who talk, and am even swayed sometimes by them voicing their opinions and allowing me to ask questions without fear.

It comes down to OPEN communication, not finger pointing or name calling.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 7:50 am

lol!

Last edited by QUITTER on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 8:30 am

... just the facts, ma'am.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

Number of posts : 1311
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 am

Phil Whitley wrote:
Remember when we talked about writing, marketing, food, animals and things like that? ........

Yes!!! And those are great discussions!!!

WRITING - A subject we can all agree on. Because we love it so much and that is why we are here!

MARKETING - Another important subject. We learn a lot from each other on this topic.

FOOD - Always a favorite. Most of us have different tastes in food ... but for some reason we never get disagreeable on this subject.

ANIMALS -Who here doesn't love critters? Hamsters? Dogs? Cats? Elk?????

Start a thread on any of these subjects and it will be a good one!
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am

JoElle says:

"Yes!!! And those are great discussions!!!

WRITING - A subject we can all agree on. Because we love it so much and that is why we are here!

MARKETING - Another important subject. We learn a lot from each other on this topic.

FOOD - Always a favorite. Most of us have different tastes in food ... but for some reason we never get disagreeable on this subject.

ANIMALS -Who here doesn't love critters? Hamsters? Dogs? Cats? Elk?????

Start a thread on any of these subjects and it will be a good one!"

I agree with her completely. However, no topics heat up our blood and get it rushing through our veins quite like politics and religion. You can write about the things she mentions, but until you get into a political or religious debate, where the feelings run strong on both sides, you are missing what makes us tick. It’s only when the fire sings in your heart that you can truly get the feeling from writing that we would all like to have. Shelagh says it’s passion, I don't have a name for it, but I do think that we never completely realize our potential until a heated argument brings out the worst in us, and by doing so, manages to bring out our best. Our wits are never so sharp as when they are used to refute another's argument that we just don't agree with.

Last edited by E. Don Harpe on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 am

Wasn't Elizabeth's quick wit the thing that heated Mr. Darcy's blood? Wink
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:15 am

Can I agree to agree? Laughing ... or is that tautology? I allow the political threads to go unmoderated because nothing attracts more posts than a political debate. I also know that the members here are intelligent people who love nothing better than a chance to sharpen their minds and put forward a logical argument. Of course, feelings get in the way and outrageous posts result as the debates heat up. The surest way to lose an argument is to walk away from it. I used to do that on the absolutewrite forum. When I woke up to the fact that I had to stick around if I wanted to win, I got up the noses of the moderators so much they banned me for six months. Now that's what I call winning!

I set up the forum on January 11th this year and I haven't banned a single member. I did change the password of a spammer who joined and posted on half a dozen boards. I was following him as he posted and deleting each post. Then I changed his password and he disappeared into the ethernet. The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 855547

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:21 am

Sorry NoElle, we cross-posted. You are right about Lizzie Bennet. The Power of Persuasion is about F. William D'Arcy wanting the last word ... but he was too arrogant to make the first move ...

Last edited by Shelagh on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JoElle
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
JoElle

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:22 am

You know, I am just glad I can finally eat a meal at a truck stop without being forced to listen to Fox News report on the election.

I thought that it was never going to end ....

The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 77176
Back to top Go down
E. Don Harpe
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
E. Don Harpe

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am

With luck, my dear wood sprite, that will only be the first of many benefits of the Obama years. Seems they've already started, and he's not even in office yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dawning of a New Day in America   The Dawning of a New Day in America - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dawning of a New Day in America
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next