Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Virus & pests

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Virus & pests Empty
PostSubject: Virus & pests   Virus & pests EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 am

There was much hope for a bountiful harvest from my cherry tree.  It was loaded with cherries.  The cherries dried up and fell off.  Just learned that I am not the only one with this experience.  It is reported that a fly, presumably originating in China, has invaded the area and causing much damage to crops. The Winzer (grape growers) are experiencing the same problem.  There is no spray to counter these flies and the only advice at the moment is to tear away the leaves from the grapes since the flies thrive in the shade of the leaves.  There is also an outbreak of the Noro virus.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus.
While we are concerned with the devastating effects of nuclear weapons, there are other WPM’s that can take the form of a virus.  Geographical boundaries are no defense.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Virus & pests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus & pests   Virus & pests EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 pm

This might help you, Abe:

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/149730/New-findings-help-cherry-growers-combat-suzuki-fruit-fly
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Virus & pests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus & pests   Virus & pests EmptySat Jul 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Interesting article, Shelagh.  It appears that those who grow fruit as a business find ways to protect the fruit, still relying on pesticides for control.  There are some fruit trees, such as apple and pear, where the growers keep the tree cut short allowing them to harvest the fruit without a ladder.  Pruning the tree each year is a normal activity.  I have observed that in some regions in southern Germany large netting is used to cover an entire field.  The cost of this is reflected in the price of the fruit.  For non-commercial use, the cost of protecting trees using netting is not practical. Cherry trees do not thrive as well if cut short.   Those in the fruit business will continue to search for ways to increase their harvest while keeping costs down.  In my limited view, research with effective pesticides will continue as a means for control. 
I have one large cherry tree, one pear tree, two apple trees, three plum trees and one peach tree.  The yield is intended for personal use. Excess is shared with neighbors. Some of the apples are placed in the cellar for winter consumption and some are made into apple sauce and frozen.  Peaches don’t last long and freezing the excess is one solution. We are currently engaged in the picking and preservation of vegetables, currently string beans.  Those that are not prepared for freezing are used in a bean salad or simply as a supplement for a given meal.   Fresh vegetables grown without the use of pesticides are delicious and healthy.
You may recall that I planted a chestnut tree a few years ago.  I was told that it would take about 20 years to produce nuts.  The tree is about two meters high and I don’t expect to live long enough to see it yield some nuts.  My wife doesn’t agree with me.  She says that in another year the branches will be strong enough to hold my weight and that if I climb on it, she will take a picture to show a nut hanging from the tree.  I asked her if I was required to use a rope for the hanging.  Hmmm.  Just another day in the life of two Seniors trying to find amusement in their daily lives.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Virus & pests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus & pests   Virus & pests EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 1:15 am

Quite a wit your wife, Abe!  Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk