Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent Empty
PostSubject: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 11:01 am

I don't know why I've been absent. I suspect it's the siren song of Facebook.

Since I was here last, I've changed publishers. My new, wonderful publisher is Thomas-Jacob, a small, traditional press in Florida. I'm having fun writing novels and short stories again.

I've been in the hospital several times, not counting the cataract surgery (which worked out great). One day I woke up with what I knew was going to be appendicitis. I thought, dang, I'm too old for this. Then I thought, well, there must have been a reason for it. There was: the scan they did to make sure that's what it was also showed early-stage kidney cancer. It was operable. Yet, if I hadn't gone in for the appendectomy, the kidney cancer would have remained unknown until it was fatal. My surgeon told me the appendicitis was "the belly ache that saved my life."

My wife and I have finally moved out of the Atlanta area. Goodbye to traffic gridlock. We're now in Rome, Georgia, in the northwest corner of the state. It's strange coming back to the town where I taught college journalism courses in the 1970s. (A few things have changed, including me.)

It's nice to be back, though sad to see more names in the in memoriam section. (Hmm, I wonder why the spell checker doesn't think "memoriam" is a word. Of course, I don't trust spell checkers that think the plural for a decade of years should have an apostrophe in it, as in "the 1960's" rather than the correct "1960s.) It will be nice to hear how all of you have been doing.

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12624

PostSubject: Re: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 11:26 am

Good to see you, Malcolm. Welcome back! This place is very quiet, but it ticks along. The human body is a mystery, and sometimes being ill is actually good for us. I hope everything works out with the new publisher, and the well of inspiration for new stories never dries up.

Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent 81KU-cLOw3L._SX110_ Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent 41C9GeFDNWL._SX110_ Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent 41%2BmGkZJdOL._SX110_ Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent 51eDGllZXhL._SX115_ Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent 41y7VHKoszL._SX115_ Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent 51Zs4N4T4eL._SX115_
Amazon Author Central: Shelagh Watkins
I shall never be old. It doesn't suit me -- ©️Shelagh Watkins
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent EmptySun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Malcolm.  Interesting that an appendicitis saved you from cancer.  I was hospitalized for stomach pain and it turned out to be appendicitis, rare for someone my age, so they told me. In the process I had a CT and  found that I had an aortic anyurism that had enlarged to a danger point.  During the operation for the anyurism, they noted that the heart valvue that was previously replaced, was kaputt, so they replaced the heart valve and did another by-pass.  The appendicitis may have saved both our lives.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent EmptyMon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 am

Malcolm.   I thought about the coincidence about your appendix surgery and mine in that it was the appendix that signaled/prompted addition examination that led to the discovery of another problem.  They used a CT scan (Computerized tomography)  - a full body scan that picks up things an x-ray cannot and found the aneurysm.   It caused me to wonder if this so-called useless appendage actually has a function.  Could it be some form of a signal that all is not well?
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

PostSubject: Re: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 4:47 am

Thank you, Shelagh and Abe. I like your appendix story, Abe. Your life got saved twice, so to speak!
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent EmptySat Oct 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Malcolm and Abe, Glad you are both alright!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent   Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent Empty

Back to top Go down

Okay, I've been a member for a while but absent
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Welcome-
Jump to: