Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Harvest Time

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 8:02 am

Betty,
Thinking of you at this harvest time and hope that you had or are having a good harvest.
It is satisfying when we can enjoy the fruits of our labor with home-grown products.
We had and are still having an abundance of Zucchini.  We eat what we can, slice many to go into the freezer and give away what we can’t use.  We enjoy Zucchini during the winter months.  They make a good soup.
This year my fruit trees were loaded.  I had to prop up limbs after some broke off from the weight.  I just now finished picking the peach tree clean.  The wind was knocking them off.  We will do some sorting and place those still rather hard in the cold cellar along with the apples to be eaten when we want.  It is gratifying to share our produce neighbors who don’t have a garden.   Each year is a learning experience.  There are growing cycles when there is plenty while at other times weather determines the result. 
The grape harvest has started and there is an abundance of grapes.  I expect the market to be flooded with varied assortment of wines.  Since we are near the French border, some vineyards actually connect with France and the growers use a Co-op in wine production.   That means that some wines are produced from grapes grown on German soil and vice-versa.  The label on the bottle usually refers to the entity that actually bottles the wine.

My neighbor that has chickens always had a problem with the birds eating the chicken feed.  He planted Sun Flowers on the outside of the hen house fence.  Now the birds go for the Sun Flower seeds and don’t devour the chicken feed.  There is a solution to every problem.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 8:18 am

Global warming seems to be smiling on you, Abe.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyWed Sep 06, 2017 11:01 am

Wish that were true.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyMon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 pm

I am glad you believe in Global Warming, Shelagh.  I do too.  We even put air con in our home.

Your yard sounds delicious, Abe.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyMon Sep 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Global warming is real.  I'm encouraged when I hear about States that are taking their own initiatives to curb pollution in spite of America's withdrawal from the Paris accords.  It should not require government approval for individuals to do the right thing and care for the environnment.  It requires attention on an individual basis. It is not just pollution that affects the air we breathe, but also the chemicals used on food products.  Boycotting products where pesticides are used is a weapon we all can use.  Not everyone has a garden.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 am

America was wrong dead wrong to withdraw from the Paris accord.  We have an idiot for a leader.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Two German scientists have looked at the climate trends since records began. The data they used to model the next fifty years suggests a cooling down of global temperatures:

https://www.thegwpf.com/german-scientists-claim-climate-change-is-cyclical-global-cooling-coming-next/
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Interesting article, Shelagh.  The fact that the climate is changing is not the question, but rather why it is changing is the issue.  The confusion may have much to do with labels, i.e., "Global warming".  It may be warmer in one area and colder in another.  Information by Scientists should be taken seriously, but not to the point that we accept everything we hear. Seeking answers is an on-going process.  Events tend to change opinions and views as we are experiencing with the latest round of hurricanes.  It is an interesting subject and one that concerns us all.  I expect more migration (opinion) as people seek a better place to live.  The trend of people in the north moving to warmer climates in the south may change as with the weather.  My old-fashioned views are not based on scientific evidence, but rather on what I see and experience.  The view of farmers seldom agree with scientific predictions.  They know that the crops are being affected and try to compensate for the changes.  Food and water is my primary concern without which we cannot survive.  Doing what we can to keep our natural resources functioning and safe should be a top priority.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time EmptyWed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 am

The recent predictions for Hurricane Irma demonstrated how difficult it is to predict accurately even an ongoing weather event. Although the weather models predicted the various paths and strength of wind of the hurricane, it was only after the event that the scientists could see the exact path, and at no point knew exactly what would happen ahead of time. Yet, the average man in the street, with very little scientific knowledge, has absolute faith in scientific predictions about climate change. If you read the scientific findings reported in peer review journals, you will find that climatologists only ever arrive at probabilities in their conclusions, not at absolutes. It is the press that turns probabilities into facts, and the public who spout those facts as infallible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Harvest Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Harvest Time   Harvest Time Empty

Back to top Go down

Harvest Time
Page 1 of 1