Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Images/Icons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Images/Icons Empty
PostSubject: Images/Icons   Images/Icons EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 1:22 am

We are influenced by images.  Artists as well as Hollywood can influence our perceptions.   
I did a search on what Jesus looked like.  There are a variety of artistic renditions of what he may have looked like.  Since no body was found, archeologists cannot piece together a likeness.  Pictures of Christ used as Icons were created for appeal as well as influence.
If you do a google on “What did Jesus look like” you will find a variety of references.  The following site I found especially interesting with narration that also includes how our current Pope selected his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfOvtSfUaDY

When one prays, it is natural to have an image in one’s mind.   On forums, our Avitars gives others an image of the person they communicate with.  I find it difficult to have communication with a person whose Avitar is depicted with a cartoon character.  Icons are especially used by the Catholic church.  Other churches may use an Artist’s rendition/portrait of Christ - an image that has appeal.  An image of God is not shown and I assume that for many he is viewed as a spirit and not human as was Jesus. In search of truth, we can be misled by false images.
Often we are asked to pray for someone in need or to send positive energy.  If we have a picture of that person, it helpOn Saturday I went into a book store and afterwards realized how I was drawn to books  based on the cover image and/or the book’s title.  The cover created an image in my mind about the book’s content.   Headlines also attract the reader to the story. 

In the upcoming election, we are shown images of candidates.  Some images are designed by the opposition to show candidates in a bad light while the supporters of a candidate show a positive side.  Awareness/understanding of how we can be manipulated is important.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Images/Icons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Images/Icons   Images/Icons EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 6:49 am

Abe, there was a documentary on one of the education channels on this very subject and it was amazing!  You are absolutely right about our influence from images - even the same photo with a little difference in shading or the tilt of a head.  It is a powerful propaganda tool well known by those in marketing and politics.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Images/Icons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Images/Icons   Images/Icons EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 7:23 am

Diane, thank you for your reply.  I think awareness is important for us all.  When we begin to question what we see and hear our judgement improves.  There is enough evidence available on how we have been duped in the past.  Body language can reveal more than what spews out of someone's mouth.  Even a smile can be revealing.  One can tell if the smile is genuine or just another false face to deceive.

Telling people what they want to hear has long been a politicians forte.  Telling people the truth is not something that appeals.  When a question is asked of a politician and he/she does not give a direct response, but tend to circumvent the question with diversion, one knows either the candidate doesn't know the answer or is afraid to answer truthfully and that is a red flag.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Images/Icons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Images/Icons   Images/Icons EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 6:48 am

This past week I listened to the Pope... He talks for a long time. His main theme was; "God is love, love each other." That is well, and good, but he is not teaching Gods word. Not once did he quote a scripture. Not once did he say, "God says."  I remember church meetings when I was raised a catholic.
Members have to make confession to a man, and the bible says, “Confess your sins to no man, but to God alone.” The churches are filled with plaster statues. Again, the bible say, “Make no image of what is in heaven, or on earth.” Jesus said in the scriptures, “Do not pray to me, but to the father through me.” If we are not to pray to Jesus, why does the church teach to pray to Jesus mother, and others they call saints? And they do this via plaster statues.

Members of the church are told, “When you pray, say five our fathers, and five hail Mary’s” Again, God says in the scriptures, “Do not be repetitious in your prayers.”

The Pope in the position of the church is standing between God, and man. Who put him in that position? The bible is clear there is only one between God and man, and that is Gods son Jesus. If religions are teaching Gods written word, they would not be teaching as they do…if they don’t, they are tares, not wheat.

You Abe, can not be fooled…you reason things out, and that is what God says to do in his written word, “Reason out the scriptures.”
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Images/Icons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Images/Icons   Images/Icons EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 12:44 am

In our Men’s Choir, we are currently practicing the song:  “Go Down Moses”.  There is a solo part that I sing:  Specifically:  “When Israel was in Egypt Land (and the choir sings:  “Let my people go”).  “Oppressed so hard they could not stand” (“Let my people go”) I don’t agree with the lyrics, but then I must remember that lyrics don’t always make sense.  I recall a hit song:  “One eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater”.  That didn’t make sense either.

Considering the lyrics prompted some thought about the ancient story about the Exodus.  The following website gives an evaluation of the story. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus
It brings credibility into question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Images/Icons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Images/Icons   Images/Icons Empty

Back to top Go down

Images/Icons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Religion and Spirituality-
Jump to: