Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Churchill on Islam

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am

WINSTON CHURCHILL 1899

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world."

This is amazing. Even more amazing is that this hasn't been published long before now. CHURCHILL ON ISLAM Unbelievable, but the speech below was written in 1899... (check Wikipedia - The River War).

The attached short speech from Winston Churchill, was delivered by him in 1899 when he was a young soldier and journalist. It probably sets out the current views of many, but expresses in the wonderful Churchillian turn of phrase and use of the English language, of which he was a past master. Sir Winston Churchill was, without doubt, one of the greatest men of the late 19th and 20th centuries.

HERE IS THE SPEECH:

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries, improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement, the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome ..."

Sir Winston Churchill;
(Source: The River War, first edition, Vol II, pages 248-250 London).

Churchill saw it coming......
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 11:09 am

Whew!  How did you run across this?  It is such a firebrand statement that I am a bit of a sceptic that it was created by some of those who doctor up texts out of context to create fear and anxiety.

We must always remember that Christian religions are not favorable to women either.  That label cannot rest alone with islam. 

Just as we no longer burn witches, religions have an evolution cycle also.  Islam has evolved sufficiently to use modern communications to promote ancient beliefs that are detrimental ( as quoted  ).
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 11:48 am

DK, as indicated, the quote is from Wikepedia.  See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_River_War
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptyThu Sep 18, 2014 12:00 pm

The reason I asked is that Wikipedia changes and if you saw it there then that's a fact.  Sometimes people quote from Wikipedia and the next time you go there, it changes.  The facts at Wikipedia are always suspect because almost anyone can post information and it's up to the readers to correct it if it is wrong.

I once had a big listing at Wikipedia and someone else deleted it all but one line.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 3:26 am

It can cause problems if quoted in a public place:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-27186573

Churchill wrote the book,The River War, in 1899 while a British army officer in Sudan.

Enoch Powell's "Rivers of Blood" speech can be read here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3643826/Enoch-Powells-Rivers-of-Blood-speech.html
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 7:32 am

True Shelagh, and that's a shame.  To quote a public and famous figure like Winston Churchill should be welcomed.  What about freedom of speech? 
I read both articles.  There are real concerns expressed and there is no easy solution to the problem.

Immigration is not the only cause for the influx of people.  Refugees are pouring into Europe.  How to feed and house them while at the same time helping them to become self-sufficient creates even more problems.  Taking jobs away from the indigenous population does not help with integration or assimilation. 
Where I live, there is an overwelming number of refugees that are a burden on society.  That is not the only problem.  They don't fit and many don't want to fit.  They want to live as they did in their previous habitat.   Throwing garbage out the windows instead of using proper disposal is just one example.  That kind of behavior is cannot be tolerated.   They want all the rights of the citizens but are unwilling to learn the culture and assimilate into that culture.  Religion plays a role.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
joefrank

Number of posts : 8210
Registration date : 2008-11-04

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 10:21 am

9/20

Abe..

.............Churchill on Islam 950944

........Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 1:42 pm

Immigrants have always been an issue for "indigenous" people.  The American Indians thought that the white people stunk and didn't bathe - they were correct from my understanding of history.  Bathing has not been a frequented activity for most of our white ancestors and even great grampa felt once a week was plenty - even excessive.

The earlier centuries found street gutters flowing with sewage from all sources including garbage dumped from windows.

We judge current immigrants by our current standards, not from the era in which they are generally living (several eras behind ours) with standards we have long passed beyond for health purposes.

When I lived in S. Korea there were no public toilets (1974-79) and people simply went around a corner and did their business, men or women.  It was disgusting to me.  I imagine they would do the same in this country if no one showed them the public facilities.

The difficulty with immigration is a nations lack of planning to receive immigrants and assist them with assimilation.  My friend's business hires many new arrivals and spends the first two weeks teaching the hygiene, taking them to the dentist and making sure they have a basic physical check up and any needed shots - mostly they are taught to wash their hands.  Where there is  no water, washing hands is a luxury.

We are so judgmental.  Rather than judging, we need to be working on world wide solutions to live in harmony and share resources so that people are not obliged to leave their current level of development and be thrust into a country more evolved than theirs.

With all the intelligence to build apple I6 phones that no one really needs, we should put that intelligence to work eliminating poverty, deprivation, water issues, health issues and finding ways to help people end disputes in ways that do not destroy entire races of people.

Why do we live with such excess in our lives?  Who needs a salary of $44 million a year?  I live quite well on very little and still want to do what I can for others with less.  The "charity" of the exceptionally wealthy is a pittance compared to the income.  And in many cases, it is the shareholders who profit from those organizations that assign those incomes.  What football player needs $7 million a year and more? No wonder those people think they are immune from the requirements of humanity.  They live in an atmosphere in the clouds.

I'm sorry that in my lifetime the world will continue to be raped by the wealthy and suffered by the poor and indigent with no path to self-sufficiency or road to understanding and acceptance except in spits and bursts.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Good post DK.  It is often frustrating in that we know the problem and the solution, but feel powerless to fix it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Churchill on Islam Empty
PostSubject: Re: Churchill on Islam   Churchill on Islam Empty

Back to top Go down

Churchill on Islam
Page 1 of 1