Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Message from a famous Black

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10712
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Message from a famous Black Empty
PostSubject: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 3:53 am

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=814373325243993&set=vb.228061520541846&type=2&theater
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:48 am

So far as I know there is no "black" race of people.  The need to separate people created that new nomenclature just as there are no "whites" as a race of people.

We are just people.If we could just "get" that point we'd be way ahead of the game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10712
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 11:58 am

I agree DK, however how can you change an ingrained mindset?
I admire Muhhamed Ali for his courage.  He refused to go to Vietnam and fight.  No one could call him a coward.  He said that "He didn't want to kill people".  They stripped him of his titles and he had to earn them back.
His interview was comical, but carries a message.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 12:10 pm

He is a very likable man.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 4:17 pm

I saw him come through an airport with an entourage when he was quite unwell.  People still gathered around him and asked for his autograph.  He chatted with them and signed whatever they gave him.  He had pretty tough looking men around him but he was gracious to anyone who spoke with him.  I would not have known who he was except a man next to me said, "Do you know who that is?  That's Muhhamed Ali" and his voice has awe in it - and he went over to him but I had to leave to catch my plane so I didn't talk to him afterward.
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 4:30 pm

He owned a very elegant home on the river in Michigan near Andrews University.  He hung around the University and befriended the kids there.  He is known for his friendliness.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Abe wrote:
....how can you change an ingrained mindset?

I think one begins by accepting the validity of another's perspective, and realize that you don't really have a corner on the correct mindset.  Accept that and get to know them.  Listen to their views and see where they are coming from.  

I remember my first day at ACE.  It was a beginning of the year workday.  Casual dress.  The principal took me into the teacher's lounge.  The first person I saw was an African-American woman, quite pregnant, whose hair was drawn into two little balls of hair on either side of her face.  When the principal asked her how she liked her coffee,  she smiled broadly, flipped her head, and said, "Strong, sweet, and black like me."  Several of the other faculty members there started laughing loudly, as the principal, his eyes twinkling, said,  "Ms Joiner, I would like for you to meet Ms. Morgan - the head of our math department."

We had a meeting later in the day, and it was easy to see why this woman was the head of her department.  She left after the first week for maternity leave.  She returned 6 weeks later with another "funny" story.  It seems that a hospital clerk called her on the telephone for the birth certificate information, and made a couple of assumptions.  When the birth certificate came, it had the family listed as Caucasian.  One of the other teachers asked her what she was going to do, and suddenly, I heard that voice, from that first day I heard her ordering her coffee, say, "I ain gone do nuthin.  Next student calls me a "black b**ch, I'll tell him I got me a legal doc-u-ment."  (We were all on the floor by the time she ended her sentence.)

Until that first school day, I had never had an opportunity to get to know an individual of her "race" on an equal level.  I was appalled at the bigotry of too many of my neighbors, but my home town was still basically segregated, so my attitudes were never put to a test until I moved away.  I was never a bigot, but I was naive and ignorant. By Fall break, I had a new best friend and kindred spirit.  We remained so for my whole career.  I learned a lot from her - about life; about diversity; about reaching my students so that I could teach them.  We had this little group that met every Friday after school at a Friday's, far enough away from the school that we wouldn't run into parents.

I've often thought that had it not beeen for the divorce, I might never have moved to Houston or taught at that school.  I can't imagine what my life would have been like if things hadn't happened as they did.  It's like Frost's poem:  Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

We can't change the world, but we can have an influence on our friends and neighbors.  That's where it starts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 6:10 pm

I was born without the ability to dislike people because they are different.  Really.  I came out that way.  It had to be.  My mother was from Mississippi and had definite opinions all my life about other races.  My dad was an entertainer and union man who pretty much valued people for their abilities - so maybe I got it from him but he never talked race.  My high school was a pretty good mixture of economic classes and races and we all seemed to get along.  Now, there was a rival high school that was mostly students from the factory workers who were mostly dark skinned and for whom an education was not the highest value since factory jobs in the foundry were there for the asking if a man or boy could stand it.  I used to walk through the Hts. and see into the foundries and believe that must be what hell looked like (I was a good Baptist).  I did know there were some white families that lied about where they lived to get their kids out of that high school. I was a radio announcer on weekends with a handsome black student doing the local college announcements and we dated some.  We had a lot of fun dancing and often went where my dad entertained. It never crossed my mind that there was anything unusual about going out with a friend.

I left Michigan for California and worked at an aircraft factory with 48,000 employees from everywhere.  All my friends were pretty inclusive about who we hung out with.  If we had something in common like dancing or enjoying beach parties that was the start of a friendship. 

I worked for the U.S. Military in S. Korea and my military acquaintances and students were from everywhere too.  I have just spent my life living my life and not being too concerned about a person's ethnic or religious background so long as they were not concerned about mine.  Sure gave me a life full of interesting experiences since I often found myself the outsider - quite an eye opener for certain.

I worked in a small, southern town in Florida where I was hired as an outsider to make certain every government dollar was spent properly.  I had to hire staff.  My board members all had relatives they insisted would do the job for me.  Instead I hired the best qualified - two black women.  I didn't hire them for equal opportunity - I hired the best qualified.  It was tough for them initially, but they proved themselves above all the bigotry - and there was plenty.  In fact, it turned around the board and when I left, one of them was promoted to my position.

I worked as an executive in Miami where people are divided by economics and politics.  The company for which I worked had two "anglo" people among 60 employees, the attorney and me.  That's the way it was and I loved every day there from the thimble full of Cuban espresso coffee - that's a story in itself - to the food we ate and the weeping at the brunch on my last day.  

I don't make any effort to be "inclusive."  I just live and let friends and acquaintances fall where they may.  How my life has been enriched by those so very different and so much like me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Message from a famous Black   Message from a famous Black Empty

Back to top Go down

Message from a famous Black
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Current Events-
Jump to: