Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

The Jefferson Bible

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10720
Registration date : 2008-01-26

The Jefferson Bible Empty
PostSubject: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible EmptyThu May 29, 2014 8:06 am

Just saw an interesting documentary on German TV about Thomas Jefferson.  I didn’t know that Jefferson wrote his own Bible.  Researchers are going through his records painstakingly since the pages are very brittle.  He wrote a Bible clipping those passages from the Bible that he wanted included.  They even have the Bible where he did the clipping.  He didn’t include resurrection in his Bible.  He said it goes against the laws of nature.  He gave copies of his Bible to the House and the Senate.   
I hope someone will write a book about this.  I was not aware that he had written his own Bible.  I suppose that his version is about as valid as any version.  We know that those who wrote the Bible made decisions as to what to include or not to include.  Would love to have a copy of the Jefferson Bible.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

Number of posts : 2557
Registration date : 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible EmptyThu May 29, 2014 8:50 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Just saw an interesting documentary on German TV about Thomas Jefferson.  I didn’t know that Jefferson wrote his own Bible.  Researchers are going through his records painstakingly since the pages are very brittle.  He wrote a Bible clipping those passages from the Bible that he wanted included.  They even have the Bible where he did the clipping.  He didn’t include resurrection in his Bible.  He said it goes against the laws of nature.  He gave copies of his Bible to the House and the Senate.   
I hope someone will write a book about this.  I was not aware that he had written his own Bible.  I suppose that his version is about as valid as any version.  We know that those who wrote the Bible made decisions as to what to include or not to include.  Would love to have a copy of the Jefferson Bible.

Thanks for this post Abe. There are many different Bibles. Most say about the same thing. Religions make some changes here, and there to support what they teach. Some just leave things out. Many of the scrolls used by early Christians have been left out. I do know this...the writers of the Bible had to have Gods hand. If a writer takes these stories apart they will find they contain all the things a writer needs to write a best selling book.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible EmptyThu May 29, 2014 9:29 am

I Googled it.  Here is what Wikepedia has to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible EmptyThu May 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
I Googled it.  Here is what Wikepedia has to say:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

Abe, good news. You can buy a copy of the Jefferson Bible;

Editions in print[edit]
Facsimile

• The Jefferson Bible, Smithsonian Edition: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (2011) Smithsonian Books hardcover: ISBN 978-1-58834-312-3
  • "Jefferson's Extracts from the Gospels: 'The Philosophy of Jesus' and 'The Life and Morals of Jesus': THE PAPERS OF THOMAS JEFFERSON: SECOND SERIES" (1983) Princeton University Press hardcover: ISBN 0-691-04699-9, paperback: ISBN 0-691-10210-4
  • "THE Jefferson Bible" (1964) Clarkston N. Potter, Inc hardcover: LOC Number: 64-19900
  • "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" (1904) United States Government Printing Office

Text

• "The Jefferson Bible: What Thomas Jefferson Selected as the Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth": ISBN 978-1-936583-21-8
  • The Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth (2006) Dover Publications paperback: ISBN 0-486-44921-1
  • The Jefferson Bible, (2006) Applewood Books hardcover: ISBN 1-55709-184-6
  • The Jefferson Bible, introduction by Cyrus Adler, (2005) Digireads.com paperback: ISBN 1-4209-2492-3
  • The Jefferson Bible, introduction by Percival Everett, (2004) Akashic Books paperback: ISBN 1-888451-62-9
  • The Jefferson Bible, introduction by M. A. Sotelo, (2004) Promotional Sales Books, LLC paperback
  • Jefferson’s "Bible": The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth, introduction by Judd W. Patton, (1997) American Book Distributors paperback: ISBN 0-929205-02-2
  • A Jefferson Bible for the Twenty-First Century, 2013, Humanist Press, paperback ISBN 978-0-931779-29-9, ebook ISBN 978-0-931779-30-5
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible EmptyThu May 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks, Dom.  I will order a copy.
Back to top Go down
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Domenic Pappalardo

PostSubject: Re: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible EmptyThu May 29, 2014 10:11 pm

Abe F. March wrote:
Thanks, Dom.  I will order a copy.

Me too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Jefferson Bible   The Jefferson Bible Empty

Back to top Go down

The Jefferson Bible
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors :: Society :: Religion and Spirituality-