Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Anthology pricing

Go down 
+12
Carol Troestler
A Ahad
Jenny
Sue
Betty Fasig
elysabeth42
Helen Wisocki
Abe F. March
Chelle
Malcolm
Dick Stodghill
Shelagh
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Those who are going to order the anthology at the proofing stage already have done; I'm assuming.

The proof copies will be arriving soon so I thought I'd better tell everyone what happens next.

As soon as, AND NOT BEFORE, all the corrections have been made and the book has been revised, I will load the revised manuscript onto lulu.com. I will then be asked to buy a proof copy of the revised book and I will be given the opportunity to CHANGE THE PRICE.

DURING THE PERIOD AFTER REVISION AND BEFORE I APPROVE THE BOOK, I will be reducing the price by 25% to £10.45 or $19.35. This lower price will ONLY OCCUR ONCE.

This is not a sales pitch, I won't be making any money out of this. If you buy the books to sell to friends and family, you can decide how much profit you want to make.

DO NOT ORDER MORE COPIES THAN YOU CAN AFFORD. Show the proof copy you have ordered to work colleagues, friends and family and take as many orders as you can. Now would be a good time to set up book signings and order copies at the lower price. If book stores are willing to buy copies from the publisher, lulu will negotiate a price with the retailer, as they do with Amazon when the book finally goes to distribution.

I am mentioning this now to give everyone time to think about how many, if any, copies of the book they want to buy. The book will have to be approved by the end of October to be available by Christmas. It takes five-six weeks for the book to appear on all the online bookstores.

I am anticipating that this period between Ocober 1st and October 31st will see the bulk of the sales with very few books selling after that date. In other words, there will be little further profit to share among contributors.

If the book takes off and proves me wrong, I will be delighted.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Dick Stodghill

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Pre-Christmas sales may fool you, Shelagh. Also, it takes a while for it to show up at the online sites, although that may not make a huge difference. Most of us who have ordered proof copies won't know about things other than our own contributions unless there is some glaring error. I don't expect any of those because it will be exactly as you uploaded it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 3:24 pm

I made forty corrections (that I found) to the very last story I edited after I had sent out a first draft, second draft and pdf file to the contributor. I may have only changed a couple of typos in one or two submissions but they were the exceptions. This has been quite a task and I don't suppose it's over yet.

In case I didn't make it clear, the price will go back up to that suggested by lulu so that Amazon can offer the book at a more competitive price (the higher the price on lulu, the more the price can be reduced on amazon marketplace). This will mean very little profit for books sold from the major online bookstores, so I hope you are right about the pre-Christmas sales Dick!
Back to top Go down
Malcolm
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Malcolm

Number of posts : 1504

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 6:12 am

Thanks for the info, Shelagh. Sounds good!

Malcolm
Back to top Go down
http://www.conjurewomanscat.com
Chelle
One Star Member
One Star Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-05-04

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 7:19 am

Okay, I am feeling kind of dumb here - the only price I have seen is "Paperback book $25.32" - where is this reduced price?
Back to top Go down
http://chellecordero.blogspot.com/
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 8:20 am

Would anyone like to explain?

I'm glad you asked Chelle because if I had reduced the price of the book before contributors bought a proof copy and then raised the price, you would not be the only one asking why the price had suddenly gone up.

The price you paid was set by the pricing wizard on lulu. I can change this but, as soon as I do, contributors will order numerous copies. Don't ask me why, just accept that they will. Until the book is proofed, the price will stay as set by the pricing wizard. Eventually, when orders for more than one copy are placed, the book will have been proof read and any mistakes corrected.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 9:55 am

I received a message about the difference in currency. The dollar is weak against the pound and the pricing wizard gave me a book price in pounds sterling. This is the constant price. The value of the dollar against the pound is changing daily, so depending on the exchange rates of the day, the price fluctuates. Today, the exchange rate is $1.85 to the pound.

The price of the book is set at £13.95 and with 25% off is £10.46. The price in dollars will depend on the exchange rate on the day orders are placed.

As an example, the list price for Mr. Planemaker's Flying Machine (197 pages) is $19.95 and £12.50. This is no longer in line with current exchange rates and is the reason the price has gone up on Amazon.com to $22.07, and stayed at £12.50 on Amazon.co.uk but is available on the market place at £10.35. On today's exchange rates a book selling at £12.50 would sell at $23.12.

Last edited by Shelagh on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 10:00 am

This pricing policy/strategy seems strange to me. I'm trying to understand why an unproffed copy would cost more than one that has been proofed. Whatever.....
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 10:13 am

Hi Abe,

I didn't set the price. The pricing wizard did. It also asked me to buy a copy to check if it printed okay. I suggested that contributors should buy a copy for the same reason.

I received an email from one of the contributors asking why she couldn't buy a copy at cost price and she was upset that a profit was being made off books she bought.

I explained that I couldn't set two prices, one for contributors and one for the buying public. What I can do is reduce the price (and profit to which she objects) for a limited time.

If this is going to annoy those who have already ordered more than one copy, or even just one copy, then I will leave the price as set by lulu.com.

If anyone can think of a better way of buying copies at a reduced price, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 10:30 am

Explanation accepted. I knew there had to be a reason.

Now, to kill a pricing wizard.
Back to top Go down
Helen Wisocki
Four Star Member
Four Star Member
Helen Wisocki

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Shelagh,

I think you've got a great idea to allow us to buy the book at a discounted price for a limited time before it goes back up. I hope you stick to this plan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.innocencebetrayedbyclergy.com
elysabeth42
One Star Member
One Star Member
elysabeth42

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 2:28 pm

Actually, I'm still not in agreement with this. I haven't ordered a copy to proof due to the fact that in a previous post (which I cannot find at the moment) we contributing authors were told we could purchase copies at cost to sell however we saw fit. Now we are being told we have to pay full price for a proof copy (which is definitely not at cost for us contributing authors) and then the price will drop down so we can order multiple copies to sell to friends and family and whatever and that the price will go back up after we order at a reduced price so if our family and friends want to order a copy - they will have to pay whatever amazon.com decides to sell it for.

I am still confused as to who is making the "profit" on this anthology. If you are not paying us authors, then why have a profit if we are to sell copies ordered at whatever price we want to make a profit? It's a paperback and people don't pay $25 for paperbacks; they balk at paying $25 for hardbacks as it is.

If you add all the contributors as part of the anthology "store", we can order copies at cost and sell them for the price we feel is fair. (that means we all have to have access to that particular anthology store in order to do this).

Please explain who is getting the profits from the sale of the anthology? I know you worked hard and should be rewarded for your work, but the authors and contributors should also be rewarded for their work. If the profits are to pay the contributors based on a percentage of sales, then keep the price at whatever lulu.com sets it at (which for the cost of printing a book this size, I'm sure that the royalties are set at 80% or pretty high up there - I've used lulu.com and I know that the cost of printing the project for me is definitely not $25 even if I had published a 300 page novel. That is the final cost set taking into account the amount you have the royalties set at).

I don't mind my stories being republished but I do mind someone else earning royalties off sales to something I wrote and put my time into.

Anyway - some explanation on how you are dividing the royalties on the sales of the book would be nice. I can't afford to order a proof at $25 and then turn around and order copies at $19.95 for friends and family to buy. I'm a poor, working author trying to keep my head above water - E Smile
Back to top Go down
http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi Elysabeth,

When I first uploaded the file onto lulu.com, the price wizard set the price and asked if I would order a book. I did and I sent out 48 emails to all the contributors suggesting that they might do the same. I have a short story and two poems in the anthology. I bought two copies, one for the first proof and one for Rainbow, who is dying and won't be around much longer to see his poem in the book.

Yesterday and today, I made all the corrections to the anthology, adjusted the front cover and reloaded the files. I also ordered another copy to check the changes before sending the book for distribution. I asked contributors to buy one copy, I bought three.

I should add a thankyou to Melinda Reynolds for proof reading her bought copy and sending me a list of mistakes that needed correcting. This speeded up the whole process enormously.

The book is now available to buy on lulu.com at £10.45:

Live rates at 2008.09.28 21:57:17 UTC
10.45 GBP

=

19.0949 USD

United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.82726 USD1 USD = 0.547268 GBP
Back to top Go down
elysabeth42
One Star Member
One Star Member
elysabeth42

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Shelagh,

That still does not answer the question of who the profits go to from the sales. The cost to print a book for proofing is not $25 on lulu.com. I know this for a fact because I've played with different possibilities of printing a book at different sizes, pages, et cetera. I do understand that it costs to print books (I know first hand by working with my publisher on my recently published book). I would love to proof the book before it goes live but I can't pay full price for a proof copy, that is not what was posted when you talked about putting the anthology together (forgive me for not being able to link to the exact posting where this was mentioned). It was posted originally that all contributors would be able to purchase at cost (not after you have added even the basic royalties into the price) to sell as we see fit.

So if $25 is at cost, then I hate to see the price when you add royalties in. And when you add royalties, who benefits from that? You only? What about the other contributors, how do we benefit from you setting the price and receiving the royalties? -- Please inquiring minds would like to know - E Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Elysabeth,

As of today, the price of the book is $19. That is $19 to you and anyone else buying from lulu.com. The file for the proof copy no longer exists. It has been replaced, so you couldn't buy that version if you wanted to. The version for sale is version 4 and the price of the book is $19.

As soon as I receive the copy I ordered today, which should arrive in 3-5 days, I will be sending out another 48 emails to inform contributors that the book is offically on sale and will remain at $19 until the book goes to distribution.
Back to top Go down
elysabeth42
One Star Member
One Star Member
elysabeth42

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 3:55 pm

Okay I just did a calculator for a perfect bound, 300 page, trade paperback and the "at cost" for you in pounds is 6.40 ($10.53 US) - which is a big difference from the 10.45 you are quoting me. So I don't believe you ordered a proof copy at 10.45 pounds so that is including the set royalties you had to put in. Which means you are avoiding the question of who profits from the royalties and why we authors or contributors cannot order at cost for proofing purposes. Why can you not answer this part of the questions put to you? I am troubled by the fact that you are trying to gain monetarily from our hardwork and not share what the royalties are as they should be. We haven't even been compensated in any way for contributing to the stories. - If you are going to benefit, then we should too.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:29 pm

The price you are quoting is the cost to print a perfect bound 9" x 6" trade paperback, to which there is a mark-up to add that goes to lulu.com.

The order I placed cost me £10.15 for a book costing £10.45.

The book I sent to Rainbow cost me £11.90

At today's exchange rate, that is $21.81

If I sent a single complimentary copy to all 48 contributors, it would cost me 48 x $21.81 = $1046.88
It is very unlikely that the book will make anything close to a thousand dollars profit, considering that the profit margin is in pennies and will not amount to many pounds/dollars.

Authors normally receive 8%-12% royalties. As one of 48 contributors, you would be entitled to a maximum of 0.25% royalties.

The bottom line is: the book is available to buy at $19 and it's up to you whether you buy a copy or not.

Let go of the "proof" copy idea. The book has been proofed, corrected and revised. Any copy you buy is past the proofing stage. You didn't buy a proof copy and now you can't buy one.

But you can buy a book for $19.

Last edited by Shelagh on Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
elysabeth42
One Star Member
One Star Member
elysabeth42

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:41 pm

whoa - there is no markup except what you put on there. That price quoted is the price to print, and that is the "at cost" to the person who started the "store front". The owner of the storefront sets the price, by adding in how much the royalties are to be, up to 80% in royalties.

Honestly, you are avoiding my question all around because you have already said the price is going up when it goes to distribution - which means you are adding more to the at cost price for royalties and you aren't even telling us where the royalties are going.

Since there has been no contract and this question of who benefits from the roytalties that you set the price to be, please pull my two stories out of the anthology. I'm sorry to be this way but I can't work for free and definitely not with someone who can't answer the questions. I do understand you have worked on this project but we also did work for this and you set the price at $19, which you have admitted to since you said in a previous post you could adjust the price down or up, that is your set price. You are benefiting from the anthology at the work of other authors. We should have access to the store to purchase it "at cost" - no royalties added in to the cost whatsoever, in order to proof a copy. I used the calculator - that is the "at cost" price for a book to be printed; lulu.com does not "mark up" the prices.

Anyway, since I am not getting answers to my question about who benefits from the royalties (the price you set the cost of the book to be when it goes to distribution and even what the contributors have to pay to proof), please remove my stories from the anthology -
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't know where you received your information but the royalties quoted to me for the price I've given amount to pennies. If I set the price any lower the royalties would become negative.
Back to top Go down
elysabeth42
One Star Member
One Star Member
elysabeth42

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 4:52 pm

I've self published on lulu.com before - the author sets the royalties - the proof copy is print cost plus shipping - that calculator is the at cost price.

Like I said with no contract and all - there still not being an answer as to who is receiving the royalties - just take my stories out please - I don't have time to deal with these kinds of things - I was already ripped off on my royalties on those two stories before when they were in print and don't feel like being taken again - E
Back to top Go down
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 5:05 pm

Dear Shelagh,
I am so sorry you have to hear these nasty and un called for words.

I consider that we authors of the anthology should have all paid you for the compilation, the editing and the work to get the whole book into a form that can be published and purchased. I, for one, would not grudge you a single penny. I know that you will ever recoup your efforts on our behalf. I do not want royalties at all. They are not what this is all about. What a great thing you have done for all of us who wrote stories for the book.
The book has a title of "Forever Friends" and I take that to my heart.

Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Betty Fasig
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Betty Fasig

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 5:09 pm

Make that never recoup.

I am a little tired. But I do think you have put yourself out for all of us. I do not take that as a small thing.
Love,
Betty
Back to top Go down
http://woofferwood.webs.com/
Vivian

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: My 2 cents   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 5:29 pm

Betty, I have contributed with nothing in return before, but I personally like to know I am before hand, not after the fact.

If the royalties are going to one person, then all is needed is an answer. Whether we like it or don't care, we deserve an answer. There's nothing anyone can do about it at this point, but an honest, straight-forward answer would be nice.

Yes, compiling, organizing, formatting a book is hard work. I've done that multiple times, once for a book of poetry printed through Lulu. I understand how Lulu works. If we are to contribute all royalties to pay for Shelagh putting the book together, I wish we knew.

Personally, I don't need to give my writing away to get my name "out there." At one time, I did, but not any more. If some of the people who contributed their work to the book want only to see their names in print, they are happy. That's good.

Shades of Poetry.com, where people contribute their work and then are asked to pay a high price for a book and get no royalties either.

I think Shelagh really tried to do something good. Maybe she didn't realize before she started what all the job entailed. I don't know. The idea of the book and the topic was a good one.

Vivian
Back to top Go down
elysabeth42
One Star Member
One Star Member
elysabeth42

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Betty Fasig wrote:
Dear Shelagh,
I am so sorry you have to hear these nasty and un called for words.

I consider that we authors of the anthology should have all paid you for the compilation, the editing and the work to get the whole book into a form that can be published and purchased. I, for one, would not grudge you a single penny. I know that you will ever recoup your efforts on our behalf. I do not want royalties at all. They are not what this is all about. What a great thing you have done for all of us who wrote stories for the book.
The book has a title of "Forever Friends" and I take that to my heart.

Love,
Betty

I think I'm being honest and forthright here. I have asked for answers to my question and have been avoided. I do not think I have said anything nasty or uncalled for. You are welcome to start a project on lulu.com and do a book price calculator and see what you come up with - trade paperback b/w, perfect bound, 300 pages - one copy - that price is what lulu will charge you to print one copy for proofing (plus you have to pay shipping but it is not that much in the US - don't know what shipping costs to send overseas). Once you upload your project and lulu.com formats it to the size and binding you indicate, then you go in and set the price that it will sell (you add an amount in to the at cost price) and that is your royalties per copy sold. - so if a project costs to print it - $10.00 and you want to make 80% royalties, then you would add $8 in to the cost and your final cost would be $18. Thereby, each copy that sells at $18, you are making $8 per book. That is what we are being given on this "marked down price of $19" listed on lulu.com. Shelagh has that power to adjust the price up or down, thereby setting the royalties. She already admitted that she would go in and adjust down to $19 so we could order copies and then once it goes to "distribution" which it is pretty instantaneous, the price goes back up. She will set the royalties back up so she is receiving a total price of over $25 per copy sold - which means she is benefitting from all our work (at the costs I quoted earlier, she is making over $15 profit per book sold).

That means that every author promotes the books and has orders of even 10 per the recommendation of the author - that is well over $7000 profit - so who benefits from that? Not the authors. Only Shelagh does because she set the price.

As far as the contract goes, I should not have approved what was sent to me originally in email without one. I know better. No contract was offered for anything. So really those stories and poems are being stolen. I don't need to get my name out there as I'm doing a good job of that with my new geography series and it's about to take off in ways not too many people imagined previously.

Shelagh, again, please remove my stories from the anthology since my questions cannot be answered. It's a matter of not being taken for my work as I was before. I cannot give my work away - E
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks Betty! It's one thirty in the morning here, so I'm a little tired too!

I knew this would cause problems. Without an ISBN, I would not have to set the price at a level that gives some money to lulu, some to amazon etc and the remainder is "royalties" which amount to very little when lulu and amazon have taken their share.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anthology pricing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthology pricing   Anthology pricing Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthology pricing
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next