Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  

Climate Change

Go down 
+7
Don Stephens
Abe F. March
alj
Betty Fasig
Shelagh
joefrank
dkchristi
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

Number of posts : 12662
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Climate Change - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySat May 17, 2014 9:24 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Shelagh, the web page you posted confirms that there is climate change.  Why is the subject of debate.

yes, Abe, the seasons are changing now just as they were in Elizabethan times. WE did not cause the season changes then, and we haven't caused them now.
Back to top Go down
http://shelaghwatkins.co.uk
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

Number of posts : 10768
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySat May 17, 2014 11:47 pm

Shelagh.  You said: "WE did not cause the season changes then, and we haven't caused them now." I think that is the crux of the debate.  I don't believe that all change was caused by man, but I believe much of the change is.  No, I have no scientific evidence to support that and I'm not looking for any. It doesn't matter to anyone what I believe, however my observations over many years support my beliefs. 
The land speaks loudly.  The land used for farming as well as the forests speak to us.  Where at one time we put natural substances back into the soil, chemicals replaced that.  The effort to control/kill insects with chemicals affects the food.  I believe that much disease is caused by the food we eat.
When a cow is grazing and eats garlic with the grass, the taste of garlic can be detected in the milk.  One does not taste that in commercially produced products.  If you feed chickens fish meal, as I experienced in Greece, the eggs taste of fish.  No harm with these two examples, however it tells me that what is eaten affects the end product. 
The same can be found in vegetation.  Plants draw their nutrients from the soil.  If the soil contains harmful chemicals, common sense tells me that some off that is transferred to the produce.  A City person may not think about that, however a country person, one who makes a living off the land, is more in touch with nature. 
Appearance plays a big role in sales.  Appearance sells.  Color is added to Oranges so they look more orange.  Some people polish apples to make them shiny.  Fruit with small defects don't sell, however when you see specks on fruit, you know that they most likely are organically grown and a safer product.  Organic and/or Bio are now a buzz word for sales.  Many buy only organically grown fruit and vegetables.  That has been expanded to meat products.  Cattle that graze on open lands (organic) –vs. - those that are stall-fed.  Chickens that roam freely (organic) –vs. - those confined to a coop gives the producers the right to label the products as organic or bio.  That is not a guarantee.  It has been found (where I live) that many suppliers used the “bio” label to increase prices; however they were not “bio”.  Efforts to control labelling are on the rise.  “GMO” labelling is sought.  A consumer has the right to know what they are buying and the right to know that the labelling is accurate.  That’s a bit off subject, however there is a tie-in to “man-induced” or “natural” environmental changes
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySun May 18, 2014 3:07 am

Yes, Abe, consumers need more information about the food they eat. However, it isn't the biggest factor in life expectancy. Longevity is linked to a good healthcare system, not to diet:
Climate Change - Page 11 Article-2240855-164836DA000005DC-187_964x541

How long will you live? This colour coded map shows the life expectancy in 222 of the world's nations. Nations shaded dark blue are those where people are expected to live to over 80, and they include most of the developed countries which have compulsory state-funded healthcare like most of the countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Jordan and Japan. With the exception of Afghanistan, the countries with the lowest life expectancies are all in sub-Saharan Africa. Inhabitants of Afghanistan, Swaziland, South Africa, Guinea-Bissau and Chad are not expected to reach 50

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2240855/How-does-nation-rank-world-map-life-expectancy.html#ixzz323n4Y8cI 

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySun May 18, 2014 8:12 am

Diet is a different subject.  The map you show includes the US with a compulsory state-funded healthcare.  It will take some time to include the US in that group.  The ACA is a giant leap in that direction.   It is not that the US didn’t have the capability, it is just that it wasn’t available (affordable) to those who needed it.  The rich had no problem.  The poor got assistance when their health issues became critical.  It was the middle class that had the problem.  If they were employed, most had company-sponsored health insurance.  If they became unemployed, many lost that.  Even though many companies offered the unemployed continued insurance coverage, they could not afford the premiums.  
It is not only that we are what we consume, but also the air we breathe.  When you see Chinese walking around with masks due to the pollution of the air, it has nothing to do with the rotation of the earth’s axis.  We are largely responsible for sickness.  Accidents are a different matter.  Longevity is attributed to how we live and that includes where we live.  It is interesting to note that in colder climates people live longer.  Could that have something to do with the absence of insect-carrying diseases?  
Preventive medicine in the long run is less expensive and saves lives.  Preventive measures to protect our environment are needed and enforced to sustain life.  My opinion.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySun May 18, 2014 11:30 am

Abe F. March wrote:
Diet is a different subject.  The map you show includes the US with a compulsory state-funded healthcare.

No, it doesn't.

Quote :
It is not only that we are what we consume, but also the air we breathe.  When you see Chinese walking around with masks due to the pollution of the air, it has nothing to do with the rotation of the earth’s axis.  We are largely responsible for sickness.  Accidents are a different matter.  Longevity is attributed to how we live and that includes where we live.  It is interesting to note that in colder climates people live longer.  Could that have something to do with the absence of insect-carrying diseases?  

The smog in China is self-inflicted and they will have to resolve the problem; I think they will. Also, the Chinese live longer than Russians, so a cold climate doesn't assure a higher life expectancy.

Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 6:14 am

Climate Change is happening. 
There is a drastic change in our climate.  One can call it Gobal Warming or simply Climate Change, but it is here. Temperature extremes are causing problems on a global scale. 
In the US there are some areas known for violent weather.  Tornados hit the same areas in the Mid West most every year.  Coastal areas are are prone to Hurricanes.  Then there are areas in California prone to Earthquakes.  Why do people choose to live in these areas?  Is it because they feel they are stuck?  Are they too poor to move or are they willing to take the risk of disaster? 
If I wanted to live in a Tornado-prone area, I think I would build an underground facility for safety.  In the early days of the cold war, people built bomb shelters and stocked them with food.  It could be safety solution for Tornado-prone areas.  As for earthquakes, best to get the hell out of the area before the disaster occurs.  Considering the high cost of insurance for storm damage, that money could be used to move or to construct a safe area.  Building a home that will withstand storms is another possible solution, however safety doesn’t seem to be a consideration when buying or building a home.  
It is said that pollution is the cause, or a contributing factor for the change in weather.  Even if controls are put in place to stop pollution, reversal will take many years and we don’t have time to wait. 
I think that safety is the primary issue.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 12:21 pm

I had friends with a home in the California mountains that was burned to the ground in a forest fire.  With the insurance money they rebuilt on the same spot and a few years later, it burned again.  They rebuilt.  They owned the land.  The view was spectacular. 

People continue to build mansions on the Gulf Coast in Florida.  They have so much money they don't bother to insure them.  Some people just have too much money and don't know what to do with it.  Many of those mansions sit empty except for the non-hurricane, winter months (3 months).

I left Michigan to get out of the snow. With hurricanes, we have lots of warning and can run.  I lived in California ten years.  After awhile, you get accustomed to the quakes.  You truly convince yourself that the big one won't come while you are there. 

I lived in Idaho that was known to have no natural disasters.  Yet, one year they had straight line winds as destructive as a tornado.  It was, however, considered an unusual event.  I vote for Idaho. Even the freezing winter was not humid so it was tolerable except for the black ice on the highways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Apparently, the ozone layer is thickening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29152028
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Good report, Shelagh.  There was a story about that on TV yesterday.  Actions to curb the use of gasses that was deemed to cause the Ozone problem is considered a factor.  The good news is that reversal is possible although the healing process takes a long time.  Working now to reduce pollution, taking preventive measures, is prudent.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 1:30 am

Weather patterns are always changing, Abe. It's the suggestion that we have influence over them that I find a difficult concept to accept. The ozone is measurable in much the same way that the air quality is measurable at ground level. Changing industrial and domestic habits can improve the ozone layer and the quality of the air we breathe. The weather has a mind of its own. Ice caps grow and recede, as do glaciers. Volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and Tsunamis are natural phenomena over which we have no influence. Mining, fracking, oil spills and other industrial land and sea interference can harm the local environment, but contribute little if anything to global weather patterns.

Apart from small populations of nomadic tribes, the areas you mentioned that are prone to natural disasters, or severe weather conditions, remained uninhabited for millions of years. Settlers have tried to live in places of outstanding beauty only to see the landscape devastated by floods, droughts, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tornadoes and hurricanes. There is a reason that these areas have such untouched beauty: humans are not supposed to be there!
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alj

Number of posts : 9633
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 5:39 am

dkchristi wrote:
I had friends with a home in the California mountains that was burned to the ground in a forest fire.  With the insurance money they rebuilt on the same spot and a few years later, it burned again.  They rebuilt.  They owned the land.  The view was spectacular. 

People continue to build mansions on the Gulf Coast in Florida.  They have so much money they don't bother to insure them.  Some people just have too much money and don't know what to do with it.  Many of those mansions sit empty except for the non-hurricane, winter months (3 months).

I left Michigan to get out of the snow. With hurricanes, we have lots of warning and can run.  I lived in California ten years.  After awhile, you get accustomed to the quakes.  You truly convince yourself that the big one won't come while you are there. 

I lived in Idaho that was known to have no natural disasters.  Yet, one year they had straight line winds as destructive as a tornado.  It was, however, considered an unusual event.  I vote for Idaho. Even the freezing winter was not humid so it was tolerable except for the black ice on the highways.
I lived the first half of my life in a town near the gulf, and then, until 12 years ago, in a city not much farther from the coast.  I have ridden out 3 hurricanes, numerous tropical storms, and a tornado which came within 50 yards of a gymnasium where I was gathered with my middle school classmates.

The thing about hurricanes and tornadoes is that they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.  They are moving warmer air into areas where it is needed to keep the Earth in balance.  Animals live in accordance with nature, and know how to sense and heed her warnings and get out of the way.  Humans have lost touch with her, try to control her, and are the main cause of the disasters that occur because of the lack of respect for her wiscom and power.

Even TS Eliot, who grew up along the Mississippi River, attributed her power to a masculine God, but at least he got the situation correctly:

Quote :
I do not know much about gods, but I think that the  river/ is a strong, brown god - sullen, untamed, and intractable./Patient to some degree, at first recognised as a frontier;/Useful, untrustworthy as a conveyor of commerce;/Then only a problem confronting the builder of bridges./The problem once solved, the brown god is almost forgotten/By the dwellers in cities - ever, however, implacable./ Keeping his seasons and rages, destroyer, reminder,/That men choose to forget. Unhonoured, unpropiciated/ By worshippers of the machine, but waiting, watching and waiting.
We ignore her at our peril.
Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dmondeo

Number of posts : 1485
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 am

The extremes we are having with our climate in reality are misunderstood and they are being used for monitary and politcal gain. Yes our society is poisoning the enviroment and we need to drop the use of fossil fuels this fact is a no brainer! Yet our contribution in reality is not what is causing the climate extremes we are experiencing.  Every gasious planet in the solar system has been suffering climate extremes.  The cause is thought to be the cycle that our sun is going through. The sun spot activity over the last few decades has changed our last solar maximum was more like a minimum. Our atmosphere needs the charge of energy that the sun gives us during solar maximum. There is a growing number of experts who feel that we maybe heading into a mini maunder minimum and a mini ice age. This info is out there but mainstream science and media are pushing global warming because it is profitable. Yes we need to be green in our day to day life and look after our planet but don't get pulled into the current climate propaganda. 
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 am

David, good to see you here.
I don't think that anyone can deny that there is change in our climate.  The dispute is about the cause and we have Scientists presenting their theories.  If you want to know if there is a change in climate, go into the country and ask any farmer.  Ask them how the change has affected their planting and the crop yields.  The climate has changed and continues to change.  How we can alter the change no one knows for sure.  We know some of the contributing factors, i.e., polllution, but as you indicated, there are other factors that are beyond our control.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 22, 2014 11:20 am

Great post, David. The factors outside our control determine the amount of climate change and the severity of extreme weather patterns. We can, and we should, protect and care for our local environment, whilst monitoring global change.
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 11:34 am

The news today reported that Germany had the hottest summer on record since they started recording temperatures in 1880.   
Today it was near 100F. 
It has prompted changes where AC is being installed in various facilities, especially hospitals.  That is a plus.  My wife and I experienced being in the hospital this summer where it was uncomfortably hot.  Climate change is real.  Extreme temperatures and weather patterns are creating havoc around the world.  Floods and wildfires are becoming more frequent.  The melting of glaciers is further evidence.  Sea levels are rising and we can expect more problems unless drastic action is taken.
Farmers are having a big problem with crops.  I suppose when the food supply become critical, those deniers will finally take notice.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Climate change in the UK? Not noticeably! July started well, but ended with below average temperatures. August must have been one of the worst on record: cold, rainy, cloudy.
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
dkchristi

Number of posts : 8594
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2015 5:58 am

My friend in Austria said the same thing, Abe.  She has been miserable and grateful for the cool weather. They never needed air conditioning before.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
Don Stephens
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Don Stephens

Number of posts : 1355
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 pm

INTERESTING:
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/11/02/nasa-says-antarctic-ice-may-be-growing-after-all/21257391/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl38%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D-548208324
Back to top Go down
alice
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
alice

Number of posts : 15672
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyMon Nov 02, 2015 3:34 pm

Good news , Thanks, Don.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/acrooker/
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Christmas morning and the news reported some people doing outdoor barbecues on Christmas Eve. 
No snow in sight where I live.  Snow in the Alps, but that is nothing unusual. 

Tornadoes in the US reporting much damage on Christmas Eve.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 10:40 am

Warming by any other name would spell as sleet:

Below is an overview of the next wave of cold air that will progress south and east across parts of the country, followed by the forecast temperature maps.

• Saturday: A large chunk of bitterly cold air will be in place in eastern Montana, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa and western Wisconsin. Highs will be 15 to 30 degrees below average. Subzero highs are expected in North Dakota and northern Minnesota.

• Sunday: Much of the Midwest will see daytime highs 15 to 30 degrees below average. Lows in the teens and 20s below zero are likely in the Upper Midwest and northern Plains. Subzero highs are expected in parts of the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin. Daytime highs may be below zero into parts of Nebraska and southern Iowa, where official 24-hour highs will probably be above zero but occur in the wee hours of the morning.

• Monday: A swath from the Dakotas to the western Great Lakes will see subzero morning low temperatures. Highs will be 10 to 25 degrees below average from the Midwest to the Mid-Atlantic states.

• Tuesday: Temperatures moderate slightly from the Upper Midwest to the Great Lakes. Temperatures will remain some 8 to 15 degrees lower than average in much of the East.

http://www.weather.com/forecast/regional/news/colder-january-weather-pattern-central-east-states
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 1:30 am

Reports in the US Southwest say that some flights have been cancelled due to the heat.  The planes cannot get the lift needed to get airborne.  Longer runways are needed for some aircraft. 
Record temperatures are forecasted.  One can expect disruption of travel.  If you plan travel by air, be prepared.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 1:51 am

This spring has been cold and miserable, but we are currently seeing temperatures in the low 30s, which is set to last a few more days. Needless to say, the temperatures in Scotland are much lower, with a touch of frost in the Highlands! Yesterday, I found this frog keeping cool in some water that collected in a stack of plant pots:

Climate Change - Page 11 19396872_10154529943962513_8356618562189272397_n
Back to top Go down
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member
Abe F. March

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 3:33 am

Cool frog.
Back to top Go down
Shelagh
Admin
Admin
Shelagh

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 EmptyTue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am

Yes, he disappeared overnight, but re-appeared this morning as temperatures rose. He's gone again, but may be back tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Climate Change   Climate Change - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Climate Change
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next